Our D formations

McGee was not lined up at LB. Come on, y'all.

We were in zone, and there was no receiver to that side, so he lined up tight. He was NOT playing LB.

I guess it would've been better if we were in man, and there was nobody on the backside.

What does this look like to you? Perryman walked out on the slot. Paul appears to be lined up over the left B gap. Eddie Johnson is walked up and should be responsible for contain. Who's left to cover the right A and B gaps? I forget who the right DT is but he looks responsible for the right A gap and Chick looks to be responsible for the right C gap. Looks like McGee is responsible for the right B gap.

Also, notice Renner making an audible because we have no LB lined inside the TE on the right side of the defense.

McGee MLB.jpg

The left guard probably came looking at our alignment.

Advertisement
Bottomline .. we are f'ked up. No more expectations this year. Just play out the year and hope Goden sees the light and gets rid of this DC.

The next play was even worse. UNC runs the same formation. This time, for some reason, our D was confused on how to line up. They don't get lined up on time, McGee is more outside than before and the bubble over the left guard and tackle is even bigger. This run goes for about 23 this time.

McGee MLB2.jpg

Teams are using formations that tilt the numbers in their favor.

Not only in the run game, but also on bubble screens out wide. UNC would have killed us on those yesterday had it not been for their holding penalties.

Last edited:
**** like this just makes me vomit. THis is **** you work on in August.

Not October.

We were in zone, and there was no receiver to that side, so he lined up tight. He was NOT playing LB.

I guess it would've been better if we were in man, and there was nobody on the backside.

What does this look like to you? Perryman walked out on the slot. Paul appears to be lined up over the left B gap. Eddie Johnson is walked up and should be responsible for contain. Who's left to cover the right A and B gaps? I forget who the right DT is but he looks responsible for the right A gap and Chick looks to be responsible for the right C gap. Looks like McGee is responsible for the right B gap.

Also, notice Renner making an audible because we have no LB lined inside the TE on the right side of the defense.

View attachment 15528

On this play, it looked like Paul ****ed up. He keyed the blocking TE instead of flowing to the ball-carrier. Maybe he was worried about backside contain, but we were in zone, so Perryman should've had his back. Highsmith did a good job filling.

The next play was even worse. UNC runs the same formation. This time, for some reason, our D was confused on how to line up. They don't get lined up on time, McGee is more outside than before and the bubble over the left guard and tackle is even bigger. This run goes for about 23 this time.

View attachment 15530

Not only in the run game, but also on bubble screens out wide. UNC would have killed us on those yesterday had it not been for their holding penalties.

On this play, Paul did the same thing. He basically took himself out of the play. Plus, Highsmith did a crappy job filling this time. His first few steps were away from the line of scrimmage. Don't know why he would be expecting a pass there. Plus, Bush had deep responsibilities.

Advertisement

View attachment 15528

On this play, it looked like Paul ****ed up. He keyed the blocking TE instead of flowing to the ball-carrier. Maybe he was worried about backside contain, but we were in zone, so Perryman should've had his back. Highsmith did a good job filling.

View attachment 15530

On this play, Paul did the same thing. He basically took himself out of the play. Plus, Highsmith did a crappy job filling this time. His first few steps were away from the line of scrimmage. Don't know why he would be expecting a pass there. Plus, Bush had deep responsibilities.

All I know is that our best defensive player is lined up over a wide receiver about 15 yards away from the ball. For this reason alone Golden/Donofrio should be fired.

Able, how can you defend that ****?

How is it good strategy to have one LB lined up inside the tackles, on the outside shoulder of the guard I might add, in a two TE formation with a heavy run possibility?

That **** is unacceptable.

Able, how can you defend that ****?

How is it good strategy to have one LB lined up inside the tackles, on the outside shoulder of the guard I might add, in a two TE formation with a heavy run possibility?

That **** is unacceptable.

I don't know what the players' responsibilities are.

I trust that Golden and D'Onofrio have seen a double TE set before. They've both coordinated top 20 defenses, so that tells me they know what they're doing.

What makes more sense: there's a logical reason for what they're doing, or they have no idea how to defend a double TE set?

Advertisement
The right personnel is on the field, they're just lined up in all the wrong places apparently. Either that, or none of our players can execute anything, ever.

I dont think the "set" pre-snap is as outrageous as some are saying - NOW - if we have a front 4 that can stop the run, PLUS EJ, another LB (Paul), and BM in the box, it SHOULD be enough man-power to stop a run-play. Now, as for DP, his positioning is great if a screen or sweep is called, so he is still effective and as the LB's learn their responisibilities, they can be effective in the pass lanes.

Advertisement
There are numerous examples of this all game long. Go to the 3:03 mark of the second qtr, look at how defense lines up. No UM defender even touches Bernard as he scampers in the endzone

I was sitting in that end zone, and everyone in my section could see exactly where those plays were going.

Rid, describe to us what happened after the snap, in terms of what the players responsibilities were

So did I. But neither of us are in coaches' meetings.[

Able, stop it dude. Film never lies. i would love to be the fly on the wall in this meetings when they show this replay. This is getting out of hand. I think we are missing the point here, this D is soft to begin with and we are deploying more ways to allow opposing offenses shred us apart due to horrible miscues by Defense schemes plain and simple. No adjustments are made and we lost this game by 4pts because sorry *** NC is not a well-disciplined team as well, i think we have overlooked at the simple fact that they could have scored at least 13 more pts(2 missed fgs and a red zone INT). This D is disgusting to watch. Yet, we want to get cute and put our 2nd stringers in to save the game. :ohlord:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back