Our D formations

The excessive substitutions and constant weird pre-snap alignments shows me that Coach D is a sorry coach until proven otherwise, I'm sorry. Yeah we have talent issues, but some of his decisions are inexplicable at this point.

Advertisement
From a scheme standpoint, this defense is sooooo easy to out flank. Teams see the soft coverage and attack the edges and the seems. Not only in the passing game does our ridiculously soft scheme give away yards, it gives away yards in the running game. We are out numbered sooo often. makes me want to puke. We did not give up points yesterday, but that was primarily a function of UNC being a bunch of knuckle heads.

I love how our defense wasnt even set alot of the time and they would just snapped the ball and wed be in mid position trying to get lined up

I love how our defense wasnt even set alot of the time and they would just snapped the ball and wed be in mid position trying to get lined up

We have to stop with the line flipping for strong/weak side. I think our guys spend more time worrying about that and jumping sides last minute than they do resting and getting ready for the next snap by looking at the formation and looking for subtle keys (guys leaning forward more on run plays, guards feet slightly pointed the direction they are pulling so they can get a quick start, split differences, RBs cheating with their eyes, etc). There is so much you should be doing pre-snap that i don't think our guys are doing b/c they are too busy running around.

We have to stop with the line flipping for strong/weak side. I think our guys spend more time worrying about that and jumping sides last minute than they do resting and getting ready for the next snap by looking at the formation and looking for subtle keys (guys leaning forward more on run plays, guards feet slightly pointed the direction they are pulling so they can get a quick start, split differences, RBs cheating with their eyes, etc). There is so much you should be doing pre-snap that i don't think our guys are doing b/c they are too busy running around.

Yep, and I see our LBs talking right up to the snap looking like there arguing or trying to get each other lined up, like there all confused or some****

Advertisement

Yep, and I see our LBs talking right up to the snap looking like there arguing or trying to get each other lined up, like there all confused or some****
Yup exactly. Too much bull**** in this scheme that causes mass confusion in lining up pre-snap

So many coaches on this board.

Good to know.

I'm not saying I like some of our schemes but most of these Internet coaches don't understand simple schemes an especially zone concepts. They think that we are the only football team in America running some of our stuff.

Advertisement
Man to Man coverage= Make a QB throw more accurate in a tighter window

That's what good man coverage does. Bad man coverage gets beaten like a drum.

Just like good zone coverage forces the QB to read the defense correctly on the fly.

Neither philosophy is good or bad. Bottom line: we ******* need to get better.

Just like good zone coverage forces the QB to read the defense correctly on the fly.

And bad zone coverage? Huge holes in the coverage/zones good for 10+ yard gains at a time. I doubt our players (who have played man all of their life) are going to get beaten like a drum in man coverage compared to how we are getting beaten like a drum looking lost in zone coverage every single play.

Funny, virtually every play Dorito pressed, played man, and had DL shooting gaps, we were successful and putting pressure on the QB. No we still weren't LSU level, but we were a helluva lot better looking on D than when we play passive.

Last edited:

And bad zone coverage? Huge holes in the coverage/zones good for 10+ yard gains at a time. I doubt our players (who have played man all of their life) are going to get beaten like a drum in man coverage compared to how we are getting beaten like a drum looking lost in zone coverage every single play.

Funny, virtually every play Dorito pressed, played man, and had DL shooting gaps, we were successful and putting pressure on the QB. No we still weren't LSU level, but we were a helluva lot better looking on D than when we play passive.

Bad zone gets torched, too.

My point is bad defense is bad defense.

And man coverage presents its own problems. If the d-line isn't getting pressure (something we've struggled with), the man coverage breaks down. You're susceptible to running plays because the DBs have their backs turned to the line of scrimmage. If the ends are rushing wide, that creates running lanes for both the QB and RBs. You've got LBs covering TEs and RBs one on one in space. You've also got guys getting lost on crossing routes.

There is no perfect defense...only the one that works.

I'm gonna give Golden time to install his system with his guys.

Advertisement

Neither philosophy is good or bad. Bottom line: we ****ing need to get better.

This notion that we haven't been playing man coverage all year is just assanine
If I were saying that it would be asinine.

But we don't play it that much. And just look at last game; when we did play man coverage, it generally worked

soft zones make it basically pitch and catch between a QB and the WRs. bad QBs build up confidence against that type of coverage. average to good QBs look great against it.

even poor man coverage (that has 2 deep safeties over the top) at least makes the QB fit the ball into a window (small or large). bad QBs are bad for a reason. no throws are gimmes when it comes to fitting it into a window. average to good QBs probably still can beat bad man coverage but one poor throw and its potentially a pick. just puts pressure on the QB to make the throw.

UNC 4 wide
Canes in base 4-3 set

Winning

Not only that, there were a handful of occasions where we had a LB lined up over the #3 WR, except said LB was 7 yards off the ball and positioned too far inside. UNC promptly went to the outside screen game and had a bunch of success. It's basically free offense before the snap thanks to Onofrio's inability to line up the defense properly.

that's every week.

new for this week was having that LB over the 2nd WR when UNC just went twins while having 2 TEs and Bernard in there. They had Johnson in front of the WR. Paul to the outside shoulder of the TE closest to that WR and Perryman between the OG/C on that side with McGhee lined up where an OLB normally would be lined up. And what did UNC do out of that formation over and over? run it to the weakside so McGhee is dealing with a h-back/TE lead blocking thru the hole.

every week a new flaw in the scheme is discovered.

We had UNC pinned on their own one yard line after VT downed a punt there. First play, UNC runs a formation that ends up causing us to have Brandon McGee, yes, Brandon McGee playing middle linebacker. UNC promptly gashes us right up the middle because of this.

Genius!

Advertisement
UNC 4 wide
Canes in base 4-3 set

Winning

Not only that, there were a handful of occasions where we had a LB lined up over the #3 WR, except said LB was 7 yards off the ball and positioned too far inside. UNC promptly went to the outside screen game and had a bunch of success. It's basically free offense before the snap thanks to Onofrio's inability to line up the defense properly.

that's every week.

new for this week was having that LB over the 2nd WR when UNC just went twins while having 2 TEs and Bernard in there. They had Johnson in front of the WR. Paul to the outside shoulder of the TE closest to that WR and Perryman between the OG/C on that side with McGhee lined up where an OLB normally would be lined up. And what did UNC do out of that formation over and over? run it to the weakside so McGhee is dealing with a h-back/TE lead blocking thru the hole.

We had UNC pinned on their own one yard line after VT downed a punt there. First play, UNC runs a formation that ends up causing us to have Brandon McGee, yes, Brandon McGee playing middle linebacker. UNC promptly gashes us right up the middle because of this.

Genius!

56.gif

UNC 4 wide
Canes in base 4-3 set

Winning

that's every week.

Genius!

56.gif
You cannot have McGee at ******* LB. It just is beyond all reason. How can people see such questionable coaching decisions and still play the talent card

McGee was not lined up at LB. Come on, y'all.

We were in zone, and there was no receiver to that side, so he lined up tight. He was NOT playing LB.

I guess it would've been better if we were in man, and there was nobody on the backside.

Advertisement
Back