Our Culture (entire program)

Same ole Miami...18 years and running of bs!!! Literally the same answers during media session from 2005..06,07,08,09,10....20,21 and now 22.
Think im lying go listen to Brandon Harris, Colin McCarthy, Marcus Fortson and etc. Just close your eyes and listen to the answers, THEY ARE ALMOST THE SAME.

QUIT SERVING UP **** SANDWICHES AND TRYING TO CONVINCE US THAT IT'S FILET MIGNON

Advertisement
Program culture is rotten to the core. The blame today goes to both the coaches and the players. Having played football, watched football for 30 plus years, served 20 years in the military, I don’t know what’s wrong with this program culture. How long does it take to change culture? I know it takes longer than 9 months and 4 games. However, **** we can’t get out of our own way!

It’s like we’re cursed and normally I don’t believe in curses but we can’t make the right hires, we make momentum recruiting and turn around and have crippling loses like today. We have players (James Williams for example) if they were on other teams, would potentially be better.

What is it? Is it the program, is it kids still being around the area/city they grew up in? Wtf is it?

I used to say all the time it was the curse of the Orange Bowl for getting rid of Miami's identity, and that's been consistent for both the Canes and Fins.

I mean after getting the commitment, the money, Coach and new staff we wanted, the NIL, and then a start like this - we again loose a game that could have won to an SEC Team and we cash in the season right on script.

I tell you friends, if this is a curse, this as sinister as there ever was. Its as redundant as a Chinese water torture. Remember just before the nose dive, Ruiz said he'd spent enough money and now wanted to wait ad see some results? Sinister a curse as ever...

Program culture is rotten to the core. The blame today goes to both the coaches and the players. Having played football, watched football for 30 plus years, served 20 years in the military, I don’t know what’s wrong with this program culture. How long does it take to change culture? I know it takes longer than 9 months and 4 games. However, **** we can’t get out of our own way!

It’s like we’re cursed and normally I don’t believe in curses but we can’t make the right hires, we make momentum recruiting and turn around and have crippling loses like today. We have players (James Williams for example) if they were on other teams, would potentially be better.

What is it? Is it the program, is it kids still being around the area/city they grew up in? Wtf is it?
I think it’s geographical. It goes beyond any given head coach. The media hypes up the people of Miami and their friends inflate their egos. Then as soon as things don’t go their way, they fold. Happened from Coker to Cristobol. They buy into their own hype like no other program.

were still not playing the best players---- wasting time -- not letting our best players be the best - blades shouldnt come in before tae - tae has most passion on the team

all CB's are awful

the reality is that no matter what happens in practice - doesnt mean crap - aka clarke transferring - Young the WR has been balling but just saw snaps -- the list goes on and on

Advertisement
We went on long winning streaks the last two times we started the season 2-3 or 4-4.

I called bull**** on the rotten culture over exaggeration. Put kids in a position to win and they will win.
The coaching needs improvement but I don’t think the rotten culture is NOT an over exaggeration.
If you watched the Middle Tennessee game, it is clear as day there is something majorly wrong with the locker room. They didn’t even bother to show up. The lack of will to win is a cultural issue.
Dropping passes, fumbling on critical downs is a not a coaching issue.
This team is not good, they lack talent, the OC is not very good, but these players seem to have zero urgency to win. This roster needs to get flipped STAT.

The coaching needs improvement but I don’t think the rotten culture is NOT an over exaggeration

So Mark Richt established a winning culture at UGA (seeing as Smart got them to the title game in year 2) but immediately established a rotten culture at UM? Sorry, I'm not buying that lame excuse. And before you try to do mental gymnastics to somehow blame Diaz but not Richt - as Richts handpicked successor, Diaz merely continued the culture established by Richt. A team with a rotten culture doesn't bounce back from emotional blow of losing its starting QB to rally and win 6 of its last 7 games with the backup QB, while at the same time rumors are swirling that the HC is getting fired no matter how the season ends. Bad coaching does not equal bad culture. There is zero doubt in my mind that Lane Kiffin has UM at 4-1 with this exact same roster, yet not many people would accuse Kiffin as being the "good culture" coach. Win games and you don't have a culture problem.

If you are claiming that the "rotten culture" is players who try to make highlight reels instead of sticking with their assignments, you might be right. However, I wouldnt call that "rotten culture" - it's simply self preservation. The players, for good reason, don't have faith that the coaching staff will put the team into a position to win. The players want to get noticed by the NFL. In their minds they aren't going to get noticed if they play assignment football yet the team finishes under .500 due to horrible coaching. As a result they freelance hoping a NFL scout will see them make a big play and think "wow this kid is flashing a lot of potential." Is it counterproductive and counter intuitive? Yes, but it's a direct result of not trusting the coaches.

Trust is a two way street. The players have to earn the coaches trust, but at the same time the players aren't idiots. The players want to see the coaches come up with ways to win games too. Now as to who has to earn trust first - the players or the coaches - I think the side with multiple adults making millions of dollars has that primary responsibility. Again this isn't a hard problem for a competent coach to solve. Win games.

Last edited:
USC was able to solve their “culture” problem really quickly. They’ve been bad almost as long as we have been. They’re 6-0.

Advertisement
So Mark Richt established a winning culture at UGA (seeing as Smart got them to the title game in year 2) but immediately established a rotten culture at UM? Sorry, I'm not buying that lame excuse. And before you try to do mental gymnastics to somehow blame Diaz but not Richt - as Richts handpicked successor, Diaz merely continued the culture established by Richt. A team with a rotten culture doesn't bounce back from emotional blow of losing its starting QB to rally and win 6 of its last 7 games with the backup QB, while at the same time rumors are swirling that the HC is getting fired no matter how the season ends. Bad coaching does not equal bad culture. There is zero doubt in my mind that Lane Kiffin has UM at 4-1 with this exact same roster, yet not many people would accuse Kiffin as being the "good culture" coach. Win games and you don't have a culture problem.

If you are claiming that the "rotten culture" is players who try to make highlight reels instead of sticking with their assignments, you might be right. However, I wouldnt call that "rotten culture" - it's simply self preservation. The players, for good reason, don't have faith that the coaching staff will put the team into a position to win. The players want to get noticed by the NFL. In their minds they aren't going to get noticed if they play assignment football yet the team finishes under .500 due to horrible coaching. As a result they freelance hoping a NFL scout will see them make a big play and think "wow this kid is flashing a lot of potential." Is it counterproductive and counter intuitive? Yes, but it's a direct result of not trusting the coaches.

Trust is a two way street. The players have to earn the coaches trust, but at the same time the players aren't idiots. The players want to see the coaches come up with ways to win games too. Now as to who has to earn trust first - the players or the coaches - I think the side with multiple adults making millions of dollars has that primary responsibility. Again this isn't a hard problem for a competent coach to solve. Win games.
Not trusting your coaches and free styling on your assignments are examples of culture. The coaches putting up with it and still playing those players are an example of the wrong culture as well. If you work at a business, and no one likes, respect or do what the boss/supervisor says. Everyone does what they want and production fail. Is that automatically the supervisor/boss fault when he was just hired to correct the culture? Doesn’t it mean something when the same workers been doing the same **** through three different supervisors?

All this is going to take time to fix. Is Cristobal the man to do it, we will see. TBD!

Losing for years, making the SAME mistakes in close games, tripping over your own feet… culture. We have a losing culture to get rid of.

USC was able to solve their “culture” problem really quickly. They’ve been bad almost as long as we have been. They’re 6-0.
USC hired an offensive genius also. Well sorry but we didn’t. So yeah they may be a little ahead of us. Plus different programs, different problems.

Not sure how anyone could argue this program doesn’t have a cultural problem. Perhaps, it’s how you define culture and we’re arguing semantics.

You understand, using Mark Richt as example doesn’t support your argument but rather defeats it, right?
I can spell it out for you if you want me to, but I really don’t want to make this post that long, by going through GAs record, Richts declining health, subsequent declining record, Miami’s abysmal record, and then Miami’s first 10 win season in 15 years etc.
But I can expand on that in another post if you want me to.

As to Manny, let’s get the facts straight first.
Richt didn’t PICK Manny as his successor.
Richt suddenly stepped down due to illness and Manny was subsequently PROMOTED by this incompetent administration and Blake James within days without interviewing other candidates. He was a terrible coach and should never have been hired.

After 20 years of watching this crap I don’t know for certain what the **** is wrong with this program but I do know when an organization is failing for two decades, while going through 6 different CEOs, dozens of executives, and 100s of managers, and still can’t get employees to show up or perform simple day to day tasks… YOU HAVE A CULTURAL ISSUE, which has likely been cultivated over years. You can go to any government agency and see evidence of this yourself.

Ultimately, it’s up to the CEO and this administration to fix it. And they have not done it, 20 years of mediocrity falls squarely at their feet.

But you are not going to convince me that all our player over that last 20 years are underachievers, didn’t live up to their projected talent, all their coaches were no good. And we are just a few good coordinator’s away from not losing to FIU, Middle Tennessee and being shut out from Louisiana Tech.

There is something majorly wrong with this program for 20 years. I don’t know how else to explain it, I can only define it as a cultural problem at this point.

Advertisement

Not sure how anyone could argue this program doesn’t have a cultural problem. Perhaps, it’s how you define culture and we’re arguing semantics. How else could you explain this crap we have seen over the last 20 years?

You understand, using Mark Richt as example doesn’t support your argument but rather defeats it, right?
I can spell it out for you if you want me to, but I really don’t want to make this post that long, by going through GAs record, Richts declining health, subsequent declining record, Miami’s abysmal record, and then Miami’s first 10 win season in 15 years etc.

Richt suddenly stepped down due to illness and Manny was subsequently PROMOTED by this incompetent administration and Blake James within days without interviewing other candidates. He was a terrible coach and should never have been hired.

After 20 years of watching this crap I don’t know for certain what the **** is wrong with this program but I do know when an organization is failing for two decades, while going through 6 different CEOs, dozens of executives, and 100s of managers, and still can’t get employees to show up or perform simple day to day tasks… YOU HAVE A CULTURAL ISSUE, which has likely been cultivated over years. You can go to any government agency and see evidence of this yourself.

Ultimately, it’s up to the CEO and this administration to fix it. And they have not done it, 20 years of mediocrity falls squarely at their feet.

But you are not going to convince me that all our player over that last 20 years are underachievers, didn’t live up to their projected talent, all their coaches were no good. And we are just a few good coordinator’s away from not losing to FIU, Middle Tennessee and being shut out from Louisiana Tech.

There is something majorly wrong with this program for 20 years. I don’t know how else to explain it, I can only define it as a cultural problem at this point.

It’s years

If it were one issue it’d be an easy fix. The reality is it’s many issues built over many years. At this point it’s a circle which seems to always circle back to mediocrity and unfulfilled expectation. We’re 5 weeks into a season. Hard to say but be patient and hear me out.

I would argue our troubles go well beyond the Larry Coker experiment. Anyone 40+ on this board knows this. But for simplicity sake let’s start there.

The culture and mindset changed at that point. The admin was always an uphill battle. But it turned incredibly rough prior to and during his tenure. As far as football went it was particularly difficult to watch and be around. Utterly lazy recruiting (which some including Larry thought would just fix itself) and the lack of work and discipline was painful. It was a particularly bitter pill for those who saw or were around the daily ins and outs the previous 6-7 years sans a couple of them which were obviously successful. The turn the program took was a kick to the face of those who literally brought this from ashes back to relevancy. To no exaggeration there were voices which had clout internally calling for an end to the program while others sought punishment at minimum as payback for actions every other successful team was also doing. The results, like getting beat down 47-0 in your house to your rival were lauded by those same people. Worst off there was no sense of shame in making it publicly known. The staff, support staff, and every one else who cared about this program fought a daily battle for a handful of years there, even when success started to land our way. The modern era of sludge which is our program was built there.

Follow Larry up with a lazy hire, Miami guy, who anyone with a brain and idea of what it takes to have continued success would tell you was an awful decision. Sound familiar? It was a typical knee jerk reaction made by those without a clue. Discipline and a program run amok? Let’s bring in the good story, came from nothing, hard nose guy regardless of his qualification. Again I look back to that USF game. The view from that USF sideline of an empty stadium, literally buzzards circling overhead, and a visiting team fired up in the 110 degree sun while our boys chilled in the shade said it all.

Say what you like about the not so Golden years. Al was not lazy, he was just stubborn beyond acceptability and out of his element no matter what persona he wanted to project. I don’t know what the numbers are exactly but I do know we had an entire starting offensive line get a look or make a career out of the NFL. His shortcomings were obvious, mainly his inability to relate to local players but even more so local coaching staffs.

This is where it gets tricky and in a way reminds me of 20 some odd years ago. Mark Richt brought in instant credibility. Ultimately he would have been the perfect bridge to the last few years. There’s one key specific though which has led us to where we are as far he goes. He’s the nicest guy on the planet. Hiring Manny was not his decision nor obviously did he have the power to do so. His word though did carry a lot of weight. I can tell you when the Manny decision was made he was consulted. Mark being Mark, he did not give his blessing but he did not say it’s the wrong direction or that we should be patient and attempt to do better. Blake James had his mind made up and Mark’s unwillingness to be painfully direct and forthright set that bridge to opportunity ablaze and was used as an implied blessing. Anyone who says anything different or a variation of that is not correct.

I’ve said enough about Manny prior to my “mistake” banning under my very similar previous handle. Ultimately there are players on this team still who were infected by his lack understanding and leadership. To @Liberty City El point. Some of those guys were the same guys who were excused from practice for a myriad of irrelevant reasons. Guys who didn’t complete rehab assignments, show up on time or at all to OTF, and just generally wavered in the wind. There were multiple times where the guys who put in the extra work were clowned and it was either brought to or witnessed in a passive aggressive manner by Manny. To me that overwhelmingly has Manny’s name all over it as far as responsibility goes. And not just him, but some of the clowns he placed on his staff who acted like immature, nutless frat boys who were along for the notoriety, the ride, and the money.

And to that point as far as responsibility. I do not condone the I’ll presented, overly harsh, child like banter about players which some give. At the same time. To lump those who provide constructive criticism on here to be lumped in with those fools is not right either.

I’ve read numerous times how the constructive folks on here need to take it down a notch because players and recruits read this board. Nonsense on many levels. First and foremost, with few exceptions, being a great athlete/player or at least one who gets paid via cash or scholarship to play a sport and achieves success requires a massive amount of compartmentalization. One of the greatest lines I heard from a coach of mine was “if you can’t deal with it, don’t read it”. That’d be my suggestion for anyone reading this or other stuff. Mario’s goal is to have more Wesley Bissainthe’s here, and less guys who get hurt because they half *** rehab, are too busy doing non football related ****, or can’t humble themselves enough to not bad mouth certain variables of program both via the media and on a smaller scale (they know who they are). The reality is there’s a portion of guys on this team who do little to nothing extra, and others who are here for success both personally and as a team. To complain in an era where you are in school, have access to limitless resources both athletically and academically to make yourself better, and get paid to boot is horrendous as myself and others who did the same 20 years ago would have killed for that. Cry me a river as far as these guys feelings getting hurt when you drop multiple balls a game and yet out no extra work in.

In conclusion I know it’s painful. I felt compelled to throw a couple tidbits in partially for my own selfish need to vent. We’re literally 5 weeks into a season with a coach and staff which will get this turned around. He’s our second legitimate leader we’ve had over the past 20+ years and the other was a short timer who did his best while here. Stick with it, the worm is going to turn.
Thank you very much. I think I speak for everyone here when I say how much I appreciate your candor in this matter. It's refreshing to be flat out told the truth without the sugarcoating or the euphemisms. None of this is a surprise as it has been well known how terrible the locker room/culture situation was/is. However what was not well known(at least not to me) were the specifics you gave us. When people would say that Manny was nothing more than a jock sniffing fanboy who would often leverage his daddy's political influence, they sure as **** weren't exaggerating.

There was a lot of damage incurred by imbeciles like Randy Shannon and Fat Al namely relationships with local high schools and coaches but it was Manuela who quite literally turned the locker room and team culture into the rapidly metastasizing cancer that Mario Cristobal inherited. He now has the responsibility of cutting it all out. I have been critical of Mario for the same issues that have been beaten to death the last month here but I also believe that the man is a leader of men and a high character guy who will ultimately succeed in turning this program around. He's going to have to do it from the ground up and from the inside out and it's going to be painful yet very necessary. Thank you again.

Not sure how anyone could argue this program doesn’t have a cultural problem. Perhaps, it’s how you define culture and we’re arguing semantics.

Manny in all reality wasn't promoted to HC....We stole him (what a Heist that was) from Temple...even paid them a Million...they probably laughed themselves sick)

Advertisement
USC hired an offensive genius also. Well sorry but we didn’t. So yeah they may be a little ahead of us. Plus different programs, different problems.

Yeah; they got a new roster.
If only we had a staff that could attract offensive talent like theirs did.

We got Parrish and some backup linemen while they got a Belitnikof winner and a Heisman favorite.

As much as we want to blame culture, and culture has a big roll, the losses are largely due to not putting the ball in the endzone and giving up big plays on defense.

More so the offense. If we were told the defense would give up 27 to UNC, we'd think that was a decent to pretty good performance.

At the end of the day, we're not putting the ball in the endzone that's causing losses. There are plenty of other factors like defense and culture, but the failure to get TDs on 1st and goal drives is directly affecting wins and losses. It's #1 on the list of things to immediately fix.
I completely agree but we are not getting in the end zone because we refuse to throw the ball inside the 10 yard line. Teams know this. The culture should be score anywhere at anytime in any we we have to do it.

If only we had a staff that could attract offensive talent like theirs did.
We got Parrish and some backup linemen while they got a Belitnikof winner and a Heisman favorite.

Well, in fairness it’s not really hard when it’s YOUR players, & ur star QB happens to be friends w/ a star WR on another team.

Did u want Mario to bring Brown w/ him to QB this team?

Yes the culture on the team is ****ed.

But...

If the coaches implemented a proper passing attack, we'd be 5-0 right now.

I dont expect players to do their jobs if the coaches don't set the example first.

They should know better and play to their players strengths instead of forcing the rush.

Advertisement
Back