Our Canes are the only team in the ACC

Advertisement
Advertisement
good grief. Some of you really should do your homework before posting this stuff. UM has a designated sight, plans drawn & money raised. As of now 'they are only looking for a lead donor' (i.e., someone who wants their name on the place) to begin work. It will happen soon.

good grief. Some of you really should do your homework before posting this stuff. UM has a designated sight, plans drawn & money raised. As of now 'they are only looking for a lead donor' (i.e., someone who wants their name on the place) to begin work. It will happen soon.

Respectfully, if the money were raised, it would have already been announced.

The school has done significant planning, and they may have a site selected, but they don't have the money, yet.

Build it where Greentree is. Put our artificial turf practice fields on the roof of the IPF. Innovative and functional. Make it happen. I got 5 on it.

Like it.
Georgetown did a version of this in the 70's.
The football field was built on the roof of the student athletic center.
I'm in.

Advertisement

Nice.
I'd love to see it.
Do you have a link to the proposed site plan?

A related question...
Does anyone know if construction at Sun life is still on schedule for summer completion?

Richt was great at Georgia getting boosters to help pay for facilities. He will get this done.

Because we don't need one. Most of those other teams have to deal with sub freezing temperatures and, in some cases, snow for at least a portion of their season. Also, the day you give Miami an indoor practice facility is the day we lose our home field advantage for day game humidity and heat index. 2013 Miami vs. UF game is a perfect example of what happens when the other team isn't prepared for South Florida climate - and that was a team from GAINESVILLE mind you...

I don't feel one is needed, nobody technically needs one anywhere. I don't know who started the trend, but someone somewhere did and at this point it's more about keeping up with the competition than anything. Football can be played outdoors anytime of the year practically, so they're far from a necessity.

Also, I wouldn't point to an advantage in climate with the Gates. It's every bit as hot there most of football season, just as humid, and they don't have the ocean breeze we get. I'd take a 90 degree day in Miami over one in Gainesville every time.

A better example would've been our season ending bowl games in the Fed Ex Orange Bowls. Typically the opponent was Nebraska and indoor practice facility or not, there's no way they could replicate the climate that time of year.

Advertisement
Where on campus exactly would this facility go?

I thought the University owned the parcel between Carillo St. and Granada Blvd? I know it is on the other side of campus, but you could do like the DIII I mentioned and combine it with a student wellness activity (especially because the existing one is on the Eastern side of campus) serving Mahoney/Pearson.

Advertisement
Gee.

How did we EVER win five without one?

Oh yeah. Our practice field sukked really badly also.
Different times, different ncaa rules. What are people not getting about this. Every second you miss on practice because it gets cancelled due to weather is crucial. I live in Tampa and we have a lot of lightning storms and I'm sure it's the same for Miami.

And like someone else said, it's also for competition, but Just because it's worked it the past doesn't mean it'll work now. Sometimes you have to get with the times.
Just like spending money on a coach and staff. And not go after an unknown like Miami use to do was crucial.
Sometimes you have to leave the old ways behind.

We did just spend quite a bit of money paying out Goldens contract and hiring Richt and these Assistants. So i think that clearly showed the scool is reaffirming its committment to excellence in football. An ipf usually should be able to serve multiple sports. So they could always take space reserved for something else like track or tennis and just put the ipf there.

people who are acting like its soft to have one are so dumb. losing practice time has nothing to do with toughness. stfu already.

Looks like they are tearing down a residence hall to make room for the IPF.
BC Athletics to Add Plans For Indoor Practice Facility - The Heights

BC has always been committed to their Football Program, I remember when they expanded their stadium in the 1994. They literally bribed the local residents (same socioeconomic level as Coral Gables) some got lifetime season tickets , they established neighborhood scholarship program for chestnut hill residents children to attend BC (the people are millionaires so that was tough to swallow) and they gave them preferential admissions for life.

Here is a older article about the initial BC \ Chestnut Hill neighborhood Association deal which was later amended.
The Heights 31 January 1994 — Boston College

I am thinking UM would have to do a similar deal in Coral Gables if they wanted a stadium on Campus. But as for Miami's future IPF I think will happen soon.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back