Our Canes are the only team in the ACC

Advertisement

Because we don't need one. Most of those other teams have to deal with sub freezing temperatures and, in some cases, snow for at least a portion of their season. Also, the day you give Miami an indoor practice facility is the day we lose our home field advantage for day game humidity and heat index. 2013 Miami vs. UF game is a perfect example of what happens when the other team isn't prepared for South Florida climate - and that was a team from GAINESVILLE mind you...

Advertisement

Because we don't need one. Most of those other teams have to deal with sub freezing temperatures and, in some cases, snow for at least a portion of their season. Also, the day you give Miami an indoor practice facility is the day we lose our home field advantage for day game humidity and heat index. 2013 Miami vs. UF game is a perfect example of what happens when the other team isn't prepared for South Florida climate - and that was a team from GAINESVILLE mind you...
An IPF won't be for when it's to hot outside...

Because we don't need one. Most of those other teams have to deal with sub freezing temperatures and, in some cases, snow for at least a portion of their season.

We lose numerous practices due to lightning. Having an IPF is an advantage no matter how you look at it.

They need an IPF ... The schedule is unorthodox anyways... As it stands the team is done with practice before noon... so they are not out there in the heat of the day anyways. If they had an IPF they could practice in the evening and if the weather is bad they can go inside.

in all seriousness, we do need an indoor facility. From the Lightning strikes and practices being rained out causing us to lose time is reason enough alone, not to mention how hot it gets down here. What happened to Hunter Knighton is an incident that could've been avoided if they were in a indoor facility, you don't think parents take that into consideration especially if their kids are looking to play in the south east where it's hot almost all the time

Last edited:
Can someone explain where on campus we would build an IPF?

I don't see where there is space for one to possibly go

Advertisement
Can someone explain where on campus we would build an IPF?

I don't see where there is space for one to possibly go

UGA had to create space on their campus to accommodate the facility. I imagine Miami would have to do the same.

Blake James has indicated an IPF is being studied and planned, so I doubt the issue is "where it will go" ... The issue is "what does it cost", and "when will they have the funds committed", IMO.

NCAA standards are that practices have to be suspended for 30 minutes from the LAST lightning strike. As we saw in the first two games this season that can turn into a long delay. Can't have students in lightning in the current day. We need an indoor

Because we don't need one. Most of those other teams have to deal with sub freezing temperatures and, in some cases, snow for at least a portion of their season.

We lose numerous practices due to lightning. Having an IPF is an advantage no matter how you look at it.

They need an IPF ... The schedule is unorthodox anyways... As it stands the team is done with practice before noon... so they are not out there in the heat of the day anyways. If they had an IPF they could practice in the evening and if the weather is bad they can go inside.

As I understand the practice schedule, they practice early in the day because the rain storms and lightning strikes are less likely earlier. I thought it was done to minimize the amount of practices that might be cancelled???

But to your point, with an IPF they could move the practice times to later in the day and get the benefit of preparing the team in the "reasonable" heat. And when the weather doesn't cooperate, use the IPF to get out of storms or "extreme" heat.

Advertisement
Build it where Greentree is. Put our artificial turf practice fields on the roof of the IPF. Innovative and functional. Make it happen. I got 5 on it.

Advertisement
Build it where Greentree is. Put our artificial turf practice fields on the roof of the IPF. Innovative and functional. Make it happen. I got 5 on it.

Interesting, that could work. Given this is South Florida, I really don't think we need a full IPF.

Just build a canopy over the turf field

As I understand the practice schedule, they practice early in the day because the rain storms and lightning strikes are less likely earlier. I thought it was done to minimize the amount of practices that might be cancelled???

But to your point, with an IPF they could move the practice times to later in the day and get the benefit of preparing the team in the "reasonable" heat. And when the weather doesn't cooperate, use the IPF to get out of storms or "extreme" heat.
i think we are headed in the direction of getting one. the lighting wreaks havoc on the practice schedule. with all these teams getting one we will have to get one just to keep up with the joneses. the way i see it the train has left the station. its not a question of if but when we get one.

Yeah......I think we should just practice in the parking lot on the asphalt. Need to toughen these kids up!

Advertisement
Back