Our aggressive Scheme on D

They've played it that way for years running. They weren't going to change with only a few days to prepare. Realistically this is philosophically a risk-averse defense. They will never be dominant with this philosophy.

Advertisement
Assignment football when you play the triple option. A lot play this way or similar. Here is Butch's D vs GT. 3rd and 3, safeties 12+ yards back.

View attachment 26173

What about really short yardage. 4th and inches:

View attachment 26174

Tonight really sucked btw, a big kick to the balls

Am I the only one who see's the genius in this post?

BY THE GOD'S SON!!!!!! EPIC PORST!!!!!!

Wasn't it Paul Johnson who fired Al Groh midseason because Groh's 3-4 defense wasn't working? Johnson probably has a real good insight into the shortcomings of the Groh/Golden 3-4. Like Nebraska, GT ran through us at will. He must have watched a lot of Nebraska film.

Jimmy Johnson always seemed to have a good handle on how to defense the wishbone and, I think, the option. The fullback never got a head of steam--or so it seemed. I wish somebody with real good X and O knowledge would explain exactly how we should have defensed GT's option, including explaining which defensive player should have had the assignment for which GT player. It was obvious guys either didn't understand their proper assignments or they kept busting them. There were times the pitch men were totally uncoverded--much of the time the fullback up the middle had wide running lanes. Should we have been scared of GT's passing as we seemed to be? Why was the MLB playing so far back?

I just don't get it, I don't understand enough about X's and O's, and I don't understand why the pros are so enamored of the 3-4. Is it our talent, or lack thereof?

Assignment football when you play the triple option. A lot play this way or similar. Here is Butch's D vs GT. 3rd and 3, safeties 12+ yards back.

View attachment 26173

View attachment 26174

Was Butch playing a 3-4 in the first one? The guy on the right of the defensive line looks like he's in a 2 point stance. Is he a LB? Several differences I notice are the two LBs seem to be playing closer to the LOS and one DT is straight up on the center.

I'm not an expert, can you explain the differences and how they affect the outcome of the play? Or are we just getting run over by stronger and tougher players? I don't know if UNC still had Marvin Austin but they had some real studs at DL under Butch at one point.

View attachment 26173

View attachment 26174

Was Butch playing a 3-4 in the first one? The guy on the right of the defensive line looks like he's in a 2 point stance. Is he a LB? Several differences I notice are the two LBs seem to be playing closer to the LOS and one DT is straight up on the center.

I'm not an expert, can you explain the differences and how they affect the outcome of the play? Or are we just getting run over by stronger and tougher players? I don't know if UNC still had Marvin Austin but they had some real studs at DL under Butch at one point.

I didn't even bother to go down that road with the porster....he's obviously a Gslurper.

Advertisement
In each of the photos the Nose is playing a shade on the center, keeping the Mike clean to flow to the strong A or weak B. In our defense, the center was free to the second level where DP was then asked to engage him, shed and make a play. The dive play was killing us for 5 yards, but DP's alignment and technique made him irrelevant.

Wasn't it Paul Johnson who fired Al Groh midseason because Groh's 3-4 defense wasn't working? Johnson probably has a real good insight into the shortcomings of the Groh/Golden 3-4. Like Nebraska, GT ran through us at will. He must have watched a lot of Nebraska film.

Jimmy Johnson always seemed to have a good handle on how to defense the wishbone and, I think, the option. The fullback never got a head of steam--or so it seemed. I wish somebody with real good X and O knowledge would explain exactly how we should have defensed GT's option, including explaining which defensive player should have had the assignment for which GT player. It was obvious guys either didn't understand their proper assignments or they kept busting them. There were times the pitch men were totally uncoverded--much of the time the fullback up the middle had wide running lanes. Should we have been scared of GT's passing as we seemed to be? Why was the MLB playing so far back?

I just don't get it, I don't understand enough about X's and O's, and I don't understand why the pros are so enamored of the 3-4. Is it our talent, or lack thereof?

Not a lot of X and O knowledge here, but if you stop the dive, you stop the option.

Follow that up with aggressive, fast lb's and db's that don't puss out, and there's nothing on the outside.

Golden's entire defensive philosophy is passive, reactive, and set up for 1 guy to make the tackle. Seems like a recipe for disaster against option teams.

That picture is a crime. A F'n crime. It would be on the front of the Herald if these local writers had any balls.

Advertisement
yhey put the MIKE (MIDDLE LINEBACKER) far back to keep him clean..and let him play downhill...Problem was ................he wasnt clean...as the center or guard on every play had a free run at him and was athletic enough to run towards him and fall down...making him atleast have to scrape through....That being said Olsen Pierre had alot of tackles but those didt matter as they were typically the dive play and went for 4 to 5 yards as he want playing behind their line of scrimmage.....

Perryman was almost useless in this game..he mad tackles but typically 5-6 yds down the field...they didnt move him around..do nothing..our defense were robots....They were scared to play Jermaine Grace because they went with the safe pick and guys who played against GT before. Raphael Kirby was mad all **** game as he had the qb..and the pitch man was free ALL GAME....why..because our safeties were 12-15 yds back or being blocked..dude was in no mans land all game just chasing a rabbit.

Deon Bush could of been left in coral gables...they didnt play Jamal Carter MUCH....They made our whole defensive backfield cones for GA TECH ..it was like practice for their o...because our dbs had no parts in this game. No bliutzing done with them...no nothing..they were just on the **** field. Play COne

I'll paypal anyone here $100 if they can find screenshots from any top 10 defense in the last 25 years that used that type of alignment in th front 7. WTF is that????

We've been using that formation for years.

Oh wait, you qualified that with "top 10 defense."

Advertisement

Not a lot of X and O knowledge here, but if you stop the dive, you stop the option.

Follow that up with aggressive, fast lb's and db's that don't puss out, and there's nothing on the outside.

Golden's entire defensive philosophy is passive, reactive, and set up for 1 guy to make the tackle. Seems like a recipe for disaster against option teams.

I agree with one caveat. It's a recipe for disaster against any team with a pulse.

Advertisement

One of the most fascinating interviews I ever heard was Barry Switzer on sports talk radio in Dallas. Basically, the veer offense he ran in Oklahoma was unstoppable. They used to routinely put 600+ of offense of err'ybody. Then he talks about JJ's Miami teams and how effective they were at defensing the veer. In a nut shell, it was about athletes and philosophy: undersized but fast, aggressive athletes, and an attacking approach where tackles too away the dive, defensive ends that would hit the QB EACH AND EVERY PLAY, regardless of whether or not he had the, ball, and corners coming up to take away the pitch. On the off chance that there was a rare pass play, the safeties were able to rotate over. In any even, our defenses dictated the action. We didn't go the Bobby Knight rape approach ("might as well lie back and enjoy it.")

I live in Europe and yesterday I watched the game with a friend of mine who does not know much about football (for example he does not necessarily recognize the difference between a punt and a ko). BUUUUTTTT even he said to me while watching the game and GT was lining up on offense, why do they(GT) have so many players around the ball and miami stands so far away from the ball? I mean even my buddy who does not know isht about football recognized that dorito's scheme is horse ****! Ridiculous!

I live in Europe and yesterday I watched the game with a friend of mine who does not know much about football (for example he does not necessarily recognize the difference between a punt and a ko). BUUUUTTTT even he said to me while watching the game and GT was lining up on offense, why do they(GT) have so many players around the ball and miami stands so far away from the ball? I mean even my buddy who does not know isht about football recognized that dorito's scheme is horse ****! Ridiculous!

Everybody understands numbers; except our staff apparently.

Advertisement
Back