Other Coaching Moves

Advertisement
Big rumor right now is Heupel becoming UT head coach and Jeff Lebby leaving Ole Miss as his OC
yea... this was tonight's story. Not much happiness on Tennessee boards. No one knows anything - lots of rumor that White was turned down by MANY...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sooo, the LSU board thinks Baker is a great recruiter, strong LB coach and has been successful as a DC .... Only one poster said "something happened with him at Miami this season.."

"In my opinion the appeal of Baker is that he gives you a solid position coach and recruiter with ties to both La. and the Houston area (huge recruiting ground for LSU).

But more so, he is another youthful hire that has experience calling defenses at 2 schools now and just coordinated one of the top defenses in CFB in 2019 that was known for its attacking style of play.

So you pair him with someone like Jones and make it clear the power structure is that they collaborate on scheme and game planning, with Baker able to give some insight on the modern college spread offenses, but that Jones is the play caller and has the final say on any difference in opinion."

"LSU needs someone who can coach LBs and a DC who is able to collaborate with Corey Raymond and have the whole defense playing as one unit. If he is an energetic recruiter, then Baker would be a great get for O."

Seems like Baker is the favorite to land this job = looks like Orgeron is hiring Daronte Jones as the DC.
I'm a bit late to this party but the way I see it is as long as no news drops on TWILL being hired somewhere....with the Baker smoke....we might get our wish of going Baker-less. TWill as LB coach and then Diaz remains as de facto DC but someone maybe two guys get Co-DC titles (TRob n Simpson) and then we figure out the permanent DC situation in 2022...or if we're wildly successful Diaz might keep it as is and ride as HC/DEF playcaller

Maybe he’d be willing to revisit it if Baker leaves. If the rumors of of Steele were true and he’s doesn’t get the UT job, maybe he kicks those tires again.
Something smells funny about the Steele situation...idk if I'm a fan of that move at this point...if possible go Baker-less, bag TWill and let's ride. Revisit the DC hire in 2022

Advertisement
Advertisement
I liked him as a college player and if Mullen hired him as his qb coach I’m cool with it. Even though he’s a Gatuh Mullen knows that position. Plus it hurts my enemy.

I’m just scared Lurie might be turning into Jerry jones.
That last quote... I agree and that's what scares me as well. You would think with his close personal relationship and friendship with Rob Kraft his ideologies on building a winning franchise would rub off, but apparently not.

He’s originally from Valrico FL, he played at West VA & started out coaching at WVU as a GA, then was a GA at Michigan on Rich Rod’s staff, then was at Cincinnati for 2 years, then was an analyst at Arizona (with Rich Rodriguez again), then for a season at Minnesota with PJ Fleck as Safeties coach & spent the last 2 years as West VA’s CB’s coach.

Advertisement
Back