OTH -- Gus Felder interview

ddun1eavy2

Recruit
Those who saw it - What did you think? Do you have a better/worse/unchanged opinion of him and what he'll bring to the mental makeup of the Miami Hurricanes?

Pushing weight and the order/frequency of exercises is secondary to what a S&C brings mentally to a program.

What did you think of Gus in that interview?

Advertisement
The turnaround in the physical makeup of this team is impressive.

That is true but that is not all Felder. The fact that the team has their own nutritionist plays a large role in that. Nutrition is 80% of it and the team is finally eating properly.

S&C gets its marching orders from the HC. Credit Rick for trying to get back to being a fast and explosive team.

Love Felden's approach though. His job is to motivate and maximize the effort that the players put in. He seems to be doing a good job of that.

That is true but that is not all Felder. The fact that the team has their own nutritionist plays a large role in that. Nutrition is 80% of it and the team is finally eating properly.

It is a huge part of it, but at the end of the day, he still gets the majority of the credit, IMO. His predecessor certainly got nearly all of the blame.

Advertisement

It is a huge part of it, but at the end of the day, he still gets the majority of the credit, IMO. His predecessor certainly got nearly all of the blame.

True, we had the double whammy going for us for quite sometime. A nutrition program consisting of 10 PBJs, Burger Bobs and whatever else could be found and a S&C
Program adept ONLY at assisting in skill position development while our "trenches" were a welcome sight for most STRENGTH programs.

We are not there yet, but Richt and Gus know at a minimum what is going to be required for us to truly compete this day and age, and it doesn't start at wide out or running back which we have always been able to land and develop.

UM

S&C gets its marching orders from the HC. Credit Rick for trying to get back to being a fast and explosive team.

Love Felden's approach though. His job is to motivate and maximize the effort that the players put in. He seems to be doing a good job of that.

Then why did we look so slow against BC?

Took us half the quarter to get down the field on kickoffs.

Then why did we look so slow against BC?

Took us half the quarter to get down the field on kickoffs.

can you point to another time in recent memory in which you believe we looked fast covering a kick? im going to use a stopwatch to compare the speed of our players and see if youre on to something

Credit UM for finally, FINALLY paying for a real coaching staff, and giving them all the resources they needed to get the job done.

Advertisement
Re the interview -- I didnt like it. His constant references to PSU irritated me. His having to tell the guys to stop working out or throwing on the field and go home to get rest. His amazement about how willing the players are to put in work. Florida football is different. It's not by accident that 3 Florida teams were on TV in opening weekend. I dont think he gets it. Talking about bringing your children to the gym when you do your workouts. Would it be acceptable to bring your child to practice on the field? No because you need to be focused -- just like you should be in the weightroom.

I dont think he's got the mental make up to create Hurricanes in the off-season. He's not a four-finger guy. He's a PSU guy and none of them are winners.

Re the interview -- I didnt like it. His constant references to PSU irritated me. His having to tell the guys to stop working out or throwing on the field and go home to get rest. His amazement about how willing the players are to put in work. Florida football is different. It's not by accident that 3 Florida teams were on TV in opening weekend. I dont think he gets it. Talking about bringing your children to the gym when you do your workouts. Would it be acceptable to bring your child to practice on the field? No because you need to be focused -- just like you should be in the weightroom.

I dont think he's got the mental make up to create Hurricanes in the off-season. He's not a four-finger guy. He's a PSU guy and none of them are winners.

He's getting results so your points are moot.

WTF?

He knows his job is ultimately to motivate guys to want to be in the weight room and help them make meaningful gains in strength & conditioning that translate to the football field without getting them hurt. So that's a huge plus as far as I am concerned. We previously had a guy who understood the first part, missed the second part entirely, and sometimes forgot about that third.

Advertisement

You're right, we should bring back the other guy who wasn't even allowed in the weight room at all.

I hate them like you can't believe but Scott Cochran at Bama I think is by far the country's best strength coach. Intense af and obviously has the deer antler and HGH plugs. All the dudes on that team look like video game characters

This

Advertisement
Not the OTH video, but still very insightful look into Gus Felder
[video=youtube_share;xf5OnXNkbDI]https://youtu.be/xf5OnXNkbDI[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back