OT: Young Rock TV show

Because who really cares that much about The Rock to care about his childhood? I like The Rock. I appreciate what he's done for the U. I somewhat follow what he does. He seems like a cool guy. But I am also nowhere near invested enough to watch a show based on his life.

And you're overselling its impact. Yeah, it's good exposure, but network tv shows aren't what it used to be, not with kids plugged in to Netflix, social media, YouTube, internet, etc.. And NBC's Peacock service likely has nowhere near the subscribers compared to Hulu, Netflix, Disney+.
you realize you can watch NBC shows on Hulu too right?

Advertisement
Good lord, are you ******* serious?

Nobody cares whether YOU PERSONALLY are "invested enough to watch a show based on his life". Nor do you need to "invest" simply to watch a TV show and be entertained.

As I posted, it is the top premiere by a new sitcom in a year, and one of the best in 3 years.

And we don't need another dopey cord-cutting genius to give us a recitation of what else is available on streaming. We know.

I provided THREE shows, one of which is currently running (and is one of the top-rated sitcoms on any network or streaming service), one of which just ended in the past year, and one of which continues to do well in syndication. And I provided those NOT to prove to you that network TV is still viable, but as context for how many shows have featured storylines about famous (or semi-famous) people during their childhoods.

What bothered you about my post? Why did you go off on a tangent about streaming services. The other porster acted as if sitcoms based on the childhood remembrances of people (including famous people) is such an alien concept, and I gave three recent examples off the top of my head that indicate that this is not some wild-eyed programming concept by out-of-touch writers and producers.

But, hey, thanks for the list of streaming services.

The fact remains, a lot of kids are going to watch this show and form positive impressions of UM. I mean, come on, who is going to watch a TV show about a lawyer who dresses up in a gorilla suit to ask another lawyer out on a date? Yet that show led to an explosion of law school applicants that has continued to this day.

So, yeah, TV shows have an impact, even if streaming services also exist.

funny part is that he mentions Hulu where you can find Young Rock, This is Us, etc to stream

Good lord, are you ******* serious?

Nobody cares whether YOU PERSONALLY are "invested enough to watch a show based on his life". Nor do you need to "invest" simply to watch a TV show and be entertained.

As I posted, it is the top premiere by a new sitcom in a year, and one of the best in 3 years.

And we don't need another dopey cord-cutting genius to give us a recitation of what else is available on streaming. We know.

I provided THREE shows, one of which is currently running (and is one of the top-rated sitcoms on any network or streaming service), one of which just ended in the past year, and one of which continues to do well in syndication. And I provided those NOT to prove to you that network TV is still viable, but as context for how many shows have featured storylines about famous (or semi-famous) people during their childhoods.

What bothered you about my post? Why did you go off on a tangent about streaming services. The other porster acted as if sitcoms based on the childhood remembrances of people (including famous people) is such an alien concept, and I gave three recent examples off the top of my head that indicate that this is not some wild-eyed programming concept by out-of-touch writers and producers.

But, hey, thanks for the list of streaming services.

The fact remains, a lot of kids are going to watch this show and form positive impressions of UM. I mean, come on, who is going to watch a TV show about a lawyer who dresses up in a gorilla suit to ask another lawyer out on a date? Yet that show led to an explosion of law school applicants that has continued to this day.

So, yeah, TV shows have an impact, even if streaming services also exist.
lol. I'm not bothered. You are the one who wrote a dissertation. Why would the casual, average person care about this show?

funny part is that he mentions Hulu where you can find Young Rock, This is Us, etc to stream

Exactly.

Look, I was not talking about how much money Dwayne will make off this TV show. Yes, network TV shows are not as lucrative as, you know, the one BILLION that Jerry Seinfeld made.

But I'm talking about two things in particular.

First, the impact that this will have on kids from 5 to 18 who might be considering UM at some point, or might start to consider UM. We have had lengthy discussions on how "when the football team is winning", the number of applicants to UM increases. And when the number of applicants to UM increases, the selectivity index gets better, and UM moves up in the US News rankings. Therefore, if Young Rock shows some entertaining stories about how awesome UM and Miami were in the late 80s and early 90s (when, of course, I was there helping to make UM great...kidding...though I was there at the time), then it is ANOTHER form of exposure that can help UM.

Second, the WAY in which Dwayne builds his brand, and how his fame carries over into all aspects and helps him to command more and more pay from all of his endeavors, is something that would certainly interest football players. We all know that the lifespan of an athlete is short. ****, Dwayne never made a cent from pro football. But if these kids can see how Dwayne made it, if they can envision the POSSIBILITY of meeting him and picking his brain because he is a UM alum, if they can imagine the different pathways that you can take to BUILD WEALTH off of your Name, Image, and Likeness, then it can only be a net-positive for UM when we have one of the most famous former-football-players on the PLANET as one of our alums.

But, hey, let's hear some more mopey bullsh!te about how dopey porsters are "not invested enough" in one of our most famous alums to spend 30 minutes per week (for 11 total hours in a year) watching a show that (at least partially) features some of the greatest glory days of UM football EVER. Or let's analyze the network TV/streaming service landscape and do some profitability analysis.

You know what was amazing...hearing Dwayne Johnson talk about how UM won 3 national championships under 3 different coaches in under 10 years, and then seeing video of those great coaches and players...not from a 60-second package during a Saturday football game, but on a network sitcom where millions of people are watching.

Maybe it's not "final episode of MASH" numbers, but it's still **** good right now, after a 20-year run of crappy UM football.

lol. I'm not bothered. You are the one who wrote a dissertation. Why would the casual, average person care about this show?

You really know how to double down on dopey.

It's not my job to prove to you why the "casual, average person cares about this show". It just had one of the best new sitcom premieres in years.

But, hey, keep moping, keep acting like "casual, average" people don't want to watch an entertaining show right now. Millions just did.

Advertisement
You really know how to double down on dopey.

It's not my job to prove to you why the "casual, average person cares about this show". It just had one of the best new sitcom premieres in years.

But, hey, keep moping, keep acting like "casual, average" people don't want to watch an entertaining show right now. Millions just did.
Is there a reason you need to get so emotional on this board and resort to ad hominem?

I don't think some people have grasped how much this show is going to help UM Football going forward.

Manny/Blake/others in the Athletic Department need to SUPER-EMPHASIZE this when talking to recruits about NIL.

This show is the epitome of NIL. Not some of these dopey porsters talking about "billboard ads" and whatnot.
I was thinking the same thing.

Is there a reason you need to get so emotional on this board and resort to ad hominem?

Other than your dopey posts?

And you don't even understand what an ad hominem attack is. That's the truly pathetic part of your porst.

Your POSITION is stupid. You may be stupid as well. But I am criticizing the stupidity of your argument. I am not ignoring your argument to attack you personally and exclusively.

Advertisement
Because who really cares that much about The Rock to care about his childhood? I like The Rock. I appreciate what he's done for the U. I somewhat follow what he does. He seems like a cool guy. But I am also nowhere near invested enough to watch a show based on his life.

And you're overselling its impact. Yeah, it's good exposure, but network tv shows aren't what it used to be, not with kids plugged in to Netflix, social media, YouTube, internet, etc.. And NBC's Peacock service likely has nowhere near the subscribers compared to Hulu, Netflix, Disney+.

Then don't watch?

it's about production and making an entertaining product.

Other than your dopey posts?

And you don't even understand what an ad hominem attack is. That's the truly pathetic part of your porst.

Your POSITION is stupid. You may be stupid as well. But I am criticizing the stupidity of your argument. I am not ignoring your argument to attack you personally and exclusively.
:q3xkxex:

Advertisement
Happy Chris Pratt GIF

Advertisement
If you like early 80s pro wrestling and the Miami Hurricanes, you’ll enjoy it.

For what its worth...I liked it.

Also, Seinfeld himself I agree is very meh...but Jason Alexander as George is gone of the top characters ever and makes the show worth watching alone. @Cribby

Advertisement
Back