OT: Young Rock TV show

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
1601492508177.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I love Rock and his support of the U but I'm also trying to figure out why I would watch or care about this show. I mean, who the **** comes up with the concepts for some of this stuff that ends up on TV?

Really?

What is your problem with "the concepts for some of this stuff"?

Like "The Goldbergs", about the childhood of Adam Goldberg? Or "Everyone Hates Chris", about the childhood of Chris Rock? Or "Fresh Off The Boat", about the childhood of Eddie Huang (and which was created by the co-creator of "Young Rock")?

Yeah, those shows will never make it...

Advertisement
I don't think some people have grasped how much this show is going to help UM Football going forward.

Manny/Blake/others in the Athletic Department need to SUPER-EMPHASIZE this when talking to recruits about NIL.

This show is the epitome of NIL. Not some of these dopey porsters talking about "billboard ads" and whatnot.

Advertisement
Really?

Like "The Goldbergs", about the childhood of Adam Goldberg? Or "Everyone Hates Chris", about the childhood of Chris Rock? Or "Fresh Off The Boat", about the childhood of Eddie Huang (and which was created by the co-creator of "Young Rock")?

he likes to wonder about the production company/studios thought process on why rather than just sit back and enjoy

he likes to wonder about the production company/studios thought process on why rather than just sit back and enjoy

YES! And maybe he should also wonder why people are so insane to watch the show...

"NBC topped the broadcast ratings Monday in primetime with two series premieres and its drama kingpin This Is Us. The network’s night started with the Dwayne Johnson family comedy Young Rock, which debuted strong with a 0.9 in the adults 18-49 demographic and 5.03 million viewers tuning in to smell what The Rock was cooking. Saturday Night Live staple Kenan Thompson followed with the debut of his new comedy Kenan (0.8, 4.07M).

The duo marked NBC’s best two comedy premieres in the demo since 2017 in Nielsen’s Live+Same Day fast affiliate numbers. The comedies also took the No. 1 and No. 2 spots when it came to scripted series debuts for the 2020-2021 season, with Young Rock the best comedy launch on all of broadcast in the 18-49 demo since January 2019."

Really?

Because who really cares that much about The Rock to care about his childhood? I like The Rock. I appreciate what he's done for the U. I somewhat follow what he does. He seems like a cool guy. But I am also nowhere near invested enough to watch a show based on his life.

And you're overselling its impact. Yeah, it's good exposure, but network tv shows aren't what it used to be, not with kids plugged in to Netflix, social media, YouTube, internet, etc.. And NBC's Peacock service likely has nowhere near the subscribers compared to Hulu, Netflix, Disney+.

Because who really cares that much about The Rock to care about his childhood? I like The Rock. I appreciate what he's done for the U. I somewhat follow what he does. He seems like a cool guy. But I am also nowhere near invested enough to watch a show based on his life.

And you're overselling its impact. Yeah, it's good exposure, but network tv shows aren't what it used to be, not with kids plugged in to Netflix, social media, YouTube, internet, etc.. And NBC's Peacock service likely has nowhere near the subscribers compared to Hulu, Netflix, Disney+.

Good lord, are you ******* serious?

Nobody cares whether YOU PERSONALLY are "invested enough to watch a show based on his life". Nor do you need to "invest" simply to watch a TV show and be entertained.

As I posted, it is the top premiere by a new sitcom in a year, and one of the best in 3 years.

And we don't need another dopey cord-cutting genius to give us a recitation of what else is available on streaming. We know.

I provided THREE shows, one of which is currently running (and is one of the top-rated sitcoms on any network or streaming service), one of which just ended in the past year, and one of which continues to do well in syndication. And I provided those NOT to prove to you that network TV is still viable, but as context for how many shows have featured storylines about famous (or semi-famous) people during their childhoods.

What bothered you about my post? Why did you go off on a tangent about streaming services. The other porster acted as if sitcoms based on the childhood remembrances of people (including famous people) is such an alien concept, and I gave three recent examples off the top of my head that indicate that this is not some wild-eyed programming concept by out-of-touch writers and producers.

But, hey, thanks for the list of streaming services.

The fact remains, a lot of kids are going to watch this show and form positive impressions of UM. I mean, come on, who is going to watch a TV show about a lawyer who dresses up in a gorilla suit to ask another lawyer out on a date? Yet that show led to an explosion of law school applicants that has continued to this day.

So, yeah, TV shows have an impact, even if streaming services also exist.

Advertisement
Back