OT: Women's Hoops Trying To Hoard $$$?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this money have to go into an athletics "general fund"? Didn't we run into this issue before when people were trying to raise football specific money (Alonzo Highsmith I believe)?

Advertisement
I believe a donor can specify where the money goes and even specifically, what for.
This

Advertisement
If so, then our baseball team is absurdly under supported/financed.
I think the problem w baseball is the ncaa rules about those scholarships. Don’t remember the specifics but apparently the regs are such that most players need to pay at least some of their way, and at a school like UM that’s impossible for most.

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this money have to go into an athletics "general fund"? Didn't we run into this issue before when people were trying to raise football specific money (Alonzo Highsmith I believe)?

Uhhhh...nope.

Anyone can give a directed gift. Particularly when it comes to endowed scholarships.

Besides, think about this. It doesn't allow us to offer more women's basketball scholarships. It simply funds one of the existing scholarships.

Don't go to the snack bars during halftime, and you will see UM honoring the donors who give endowed scholarships (previously, and maybe still, named "Living Scholarships"). We have them in the School of Business. We have them in most men's and women's sports.

Perfectly legit. Everyone in Division I-A has these endowed scholarships.

Uhhh...nope.

The limitation on baseball scholarships comes from the NCAA. For some idiotic reason, baseball is considered an "equivalency" sport, where the number of scholarships allowed is less than the number of players on the roster. Thus, nearly everyone gets a partial scholarship.

I've talked about this for years, it is one of the reason that UM struggles compared to state schools in Florida. We tend to have to recruit the rich kids, who can afford to pay part of their own tuition. It's easier to pay that tuition at a state school with lower tuition costs.

Advertisement
NCAA Division I. There are 297 colleges and universities participating in NCAA Division I baseball. Each school is allotted 11.7 full ride scholarships for its team. Because baseball is a designated equivalency sport, coaches are able to divide their 11 + scholarships into awards for up to 30 players.

Advertisement
Uhhhh...nope.

Anyone can give a directed gift. Particularly when it comes to endowed scholarships.

Besides, think about this. It doesn't allow us to offer more women's basketball scholarships. It simply funds one of the existing scholarships.

Don't go to the snack bars during halftime, and you will see UM honoring the donors who give endowed scholarships (previously, and maybe still, named "Living Scholarships"). We have them in the School of Business. We have them in most men's and women's sports.

Perfectly legit. Everyone in Division I-A has these endowed scholarships.

Someone who gets it. Meier has built a small group of donors that adore her, and for good reason. That's why they have decided to fund some of the scholarships in that program. Earmarks exist throughout the University, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's amazing how many Miami "Fans" have little understanding of how collegiate athletics and fundraising works.

Uhhh...nope.

The limitation on baseball scholarships comes from the NCAA. For some idiotic reason, baseball is considered an "equivalency" sport, where the number of scholarships allowed is less than the number of players on the roster. Thus, nearly everyone gets a partial scholarship.

I've talked about this for years, it is one of the reason that UM struggles compared to state schools in Florida. We tend to have to recruit the rich kids, who can afford to pay part of their own tuition. It's easier to pay that tuition at a state school with lower tuition costs.

Miami has to also rely on kids that can get academic aid, to go along with the athletic aid, and that thins out the talent pool. We all know WHY the equivalency sport thing exists, and it's because of Title IX. There isn't a sport on the women's side that can absorb 85 scholarships like football, and it puts the screws to **** near every other male sport.

The NCAA only allows a limited number of baseball scholarships, irrespective of the funding.

Edit: I see subsequent posts have clarified it in greater detail. Bottom line: we (or anyone else) have significantly fewer scholarships than there are players for baseball. And that is determined by the NCAA. Difference is that at UFhag, a baseball player with a partial scholarship might have to make up a few thousand a year, at Miami it’s 25,000 to 50,000 a year depending on what percent scholarship he got

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back