OT: Why do people hate ESPN?

jkh305

Sophomore
Everyone is always taking shots at ESPN. I must be missing something. The First Take/Bayless era was not a good look, but FS1, the only alternative is taking the debate/hot take format to another level.

IMO they're just an easy target for the new-age internet fan. They show games and report the news. When nothing else is on I throw it on. I don't see the big deal that people are so anti-ESPN. They have biases but those are mostly ratings related, market size, etc. The analysis isn't always great but shows like PTI & Russillo and Kanell provide fair insight. (I admit there's not many)

As far as us, there is a slight disrespect but nothing egregious like SI. ****, The 30 for 30 documentaries kept us relevant when the play on the field was the definition of mediocre and has helped with recruiting.

Been noticing this for a while now, here included, just curious.

I ask you to read comment #16 or down-vote me. Either way, good discussion so far. I'm not saying ESPN is great just want to know the alternative.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh this is going to be a fun thread
tFK8urY6XHj2w.gif

Seriously...

FOH man, I look forward to checking back for your charred remains in 8 hours or so.

For me it was 8 years of watching them give the SEC a reach around at EVERY opportunity, Mark Mayes and introducing the expression "Game Changer" into the vernacular.

The ACC blog on ESPN.com is ******* terrible, and incredibly anti-Miami. I'm not 100% sure, but I swear everyone that contributes there went to like UF or FSU or some ****.

But the main reason is ESPN is so pro-SEC its insane. The SEC makes them the most money, so all they do is shove SEC football/propaganda down everyones throat.

ESPN knows Miami gets them some of their highest ratings. And we are very polarizing, and they've been responsible for our image as "convicts". We also have had our run ins with the NCAA. And when we do ESPN goes into full Death Penalty for Miami mode. When we are winning, they'll put us in the spotlight, and we get them their best ratings. but when we aren't winning, they kick us while we are down rather than just not showing us attention. Then after the Duke game just about every single ESPN person went on a crusade calling for the ACC to overturn our win. That Dinitch or Adelson or whatever her name is said that we can still make it right by forfeiting the win. What ******* BS.

Paul Finnebaum despises Miami, even said UCF is a better job which is a complete ******* joke. You Know Lou Holtz hated Miami. Mark May definitely is no Miami fan. I do like Herbstreit and Bilas though. Herbstreit becuase even though he went to tOSU, doesn't ever seem anti-miami. And I like Bilas because he despises the NCAA and wants players to get paid. The guys on ESPNU are generally fine.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's not even about sports no more they talk about dumb ****. There like TMZ....I don't care if there bias but them talking about politics movie stars and musicians is fkin annoying already. That 6 o'clock smith n hill is fuqin retarded as fuq and the late SC bs.

Maybe people would like them again if sportscenter focused on showing highlights like it used too, instead of being a **** talk show.

- Honored Jenner for his/her courage.

- Sports commentators interjecting their political opinions when no one cares what they think.

- Holtz, May, Palmer, Pollack, and the rest of their SEC slurping, biased commentators.

- Calls for the death penalty anytime a Miami player has an overdue library book, but a blind eye turned whenever there is controversy at one of the media darling schools.

- Stories that start with comments like, "Former University of Miami player and current (insert NFL team) was arrested..." No other school gets treated like that.

Advertisement
Thankfully Michael Smith and Jemele Hill have completely driven me away from ESPN by taking over the only 2 shows I've really stuck around for.

Thankfully Michael Smith and Jemele Hill have completely driven me away from ESPN by taking over the only 2 shows I've really stuck around for.

They are doing a great job. Love them and cari champion. She bad af to me

They are doing a great job. Love them and cari champion. She bad af to me

Hill shouldn't even be working at ESPN. She is talented but her Hitler comment a few years ago would have buried most other talent.

Michael Smith is decent but unremarkable.

Cari Champion once argued that Mo'ne Davis is a more iconic Philadelphia athlete than Mike Schmidt.

Advertisement
ESPN is 90% of the reason ten SeC schools start every season ranked. ESPN is also the media that started this tough schedule campaign allowing SEC teams yo have several losses and stay ranked. Ole Miss had four losses and was still in when two loss teams were out.

Thanks for the detailed responses. I wanted an in-depth convo, and that's what I've gotten so far. My response would be:

*What is the true alternative if you want to watch sports discussion/news on TV besides the equal to worse garbage on FS1?

*They are in the ratings game, bottom line.They promote what sells. SEC football fans put the fanatical in fan and follow the sport obsessively. If the Pac-10 or ACC had a run like the $EC and had loser fans who ate up content 24/7 they would slurp them too.

*Many fan bases feel overly persecuted, ours is no exception. The bad-boy image that I LOVE and WE did play a part in perpetuating ourselves I admit is polarizing, but it's the nature of the beast to attack schools now. Ask Baylor and Penn State fans, which are deserving of scorn. It was Yahoo that actually broke the Shapiro (Snitch B*tch) story.

*I'd love to see more of the "old ESPN" but unfortunately the younger sports fan is changing which is making sports media/television change. Social media integration, TMZ-style reporting, etc. It's the times more so than ESPN.

Advertisement
Everyone is always taking shots at ESPN. I must be missing something. The First Take/Bayless era was not a good look, but FS1, the only alternative is taking the debate/hot take format to another level.

IMO they're just an easy target for the new-age internet fan. They show games and report the news. When nothing else is on I throw it on. I don't see the big deal that people are so anti-ESPN. They have biases but those are mostly ratings related, market size, etc. The analysis isn't always great but shows like PTI & Russillo and Kanell provide fair insight.

As far as us, there is a slight disrespect but nothing egregious like SI. ****, The 30 for 30 documentaries kept us relevant when the play on the field was the definition of mediocre and has helped with recruiting.

I may sign up for 999 fake accounts just to down vote this post 1,000 times.

And my sentiments echo everyone else here, except I hate that phony POS Jerk Curbstreet.

Herbie.1.jpg

Ridiculous hearing him contend Ohio State and Penn State both should be in the playoffs last season.

He's the king of passive-aggressive BS -- and he gets defensive as **** when people call him out on it.

If Curbstreet was any kind of professional, he wouldn't have been jumping around on the sideline like a 10-year-kid while employed as an ESPN "analyst" ...

Edit: And nothing personal to the OP, my fellow Cane.

IMO they're just an easy target for the new-age internet fan. They show games and report the news. When nothing else is on I throw it on. I don't see the big deal that people are so anti-ESPN. They have biases but those are mostly ratings related, market size, etc. The analysis isn't always great but shows like PTI & Russillo and Kanell provide fair insight.

I may sign up for 999 fake accounts just to down vote this post 1,000 times.

And my sentiments echo everyone else here, except I hate that phony POS Jerk Curbstreet.

View attachment 44111

Ridiculous hearing him contend Ohio State and Penn State both should be in the playoffs last season.

He's the king of passive-aggressive BS -- and he gets defensive as **** when people call him out on it.

If Curbstreet was any kind of professional, he wouldn't have been jumping around on the sideline like a 10-year-kid while employed as an ESPN "analyst" ...

Edit: And nothing personal to the OP, my fellow Cane.

herbstreit is cool in my book. you can tell he understands that miami being elite is good for college football.

Advertisement
Back