OT: Who had the highest Vertical of all time in the NBA?

What are you basing that on? You are saying NFL players of equal height are more explosive than NBA players? I would be interested to see those stats.

Plenty of NBA players could have been NFL players had they wanted to go that route. I can't think of a single NFL player that could play in the NBA.

You have Jimmy Graham who was a basketball player that could never dream of playing in the NBA and now he is a 5x pro bowler. Antonio Gates had a similar situation.

TO was a college basketball player that knew he had no shot of making the NBA so he stuck with football.

There are literally 0 NBA players that decided to join the NBA because they weren't talented enough to play in the NFL.

You see it every year too with HS kids. The kids who just aren't talented enough to play D1 basketball so they decide to stick with football and end up going to P5 schools.

Very few people would choose to be NFL players over NBA players. NBA players make way more money and have much longer careers. Which is why they are able to get more talented players.

you’ve never played a sport in your life.

Advertisement
Even the Miami Heat’s Derrick Jones JR has been measured at 48. That’s a good starting point for excellent, it’s not “legendary”. That’s an undrafted NBA player. He has since started working with elite trainers and supposedly increased his vertical to 50+. If you don’t know who he is, you might want to look out for him.

He has unreal hopes, love watching djj play

James White could jump like a ****.

Gerald Henderson has to be up there.

Shannon Brown could fly off 1 foot, not sure his vert but has to be high as ****.

Don’t laugh.... Muggsy

please share
"Short" wikipedia version.

Parish attended Centenary College of Louisiana, playing for Coach Larry Little, from 1972–1976, choosing the school because it was close to his home. However, he received virtually no notice because of one of the most severe penalties ever levied by the National Collegiate Athletic Association.[3]

“The reason why I chose Centenary is because of their coaches,” Parish said. “I was very impressed with the coaches."[2]

In 1965, the NCAA adopted the so-called "1.6 rule" to determine academic eligibility of incoming freshmen.[4][5] Under its provisions, freshmen academically qualified if their high school grades and standardized test scores predicted a minimum college grade point average of 1.6 on a 4-point scale.[4]

Parish, who led Woodlawn High School in Shreveport to the Louisiana High School Athletic Association Class AAAA state championship in 1972, took a standardized test that did not fit the NCAA's formula; Centenary converted his score to an equivalent that fit the formula, which it had done for 12 other athletes in the previous two years. This was a violation of NCAA regulations; however, the NCAA had not paid any attention to the school's actions before Parish's recruitment.[3]

Shortly before Parish was to enroll, the NCAA notified Centenary that he and four other basketball players whose test scores had been converted were ineligible to play there, but said that the school would not be subject to penalty if it rescinded the five scholarships. Centenary argued that the rule did not say that the school could not convert the scores of Parish and the other players, while the NCAA argued that Centenary could not use the test taken by Parish and the other players to establish eligibility.[3]

When Centenary refused to pull the scholarships, the NCAA issued one of the most draconian sanctions in its history. The school's basketball program was put on probation for six years, during which time it was not only barred from postseason play, but its results and statistics were excluded from weekly statistics and its existence was not acknowledged in the NCAA's annual press guides.[3]

Within days of its decision, the NCAA repealed the 1.6 rule—but refused to make the five players eligible. A few months later, all five, including Parish, sued the NCAA for their eligibility at Centenary, but lost.[3] The decision made Parish a sort of "invisible man" who racked up huge statistical totals in virtual obscurity. In his four years at Centenary, the Gents went 87-21 and spent 14 weeks in the AP Top 20 poll,[6] mostly during his senior season in 1975–76.[7] While he averaged 21.6 points and 16.9 rebounds per game during his Centenary career and[7] Centenary recognized his records, the NCAA would not include Parish's statistics in its record books.[8][9]

Advertisement

This is one of my favorite dunks by Jordan.... I remember watching this on tv when it happened... Ewing never knew what hit'em.... Just nasty.

Back in the day, I saw a vid of David Thompson hitting the 45 inch marker on the jump device..........That put his hand near the top the of the backboard. In college I played with a guy who was 6'4" and could put his whole hand above the square and it looked like he had jumped out into space! Thompson was unfathonable. There are stories of guys at Rucker in NYC who would try to put a coin on top of the backboard and one guy, I can't recall his name could allegedly take a coin and leave change! I don't think he ever made the NBA or ABA because of drugs..................

Advertisement
Vertices should all be questioned. You can get several more inches on your very by simply not reaching high on the vertical reach. If you want the most accurate measure of vert have the athletes do the broad jump. You can not cheat it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
They are also a lot shorter, which makes a huge difference. NBA players are some of the most talented athletes in the world.

Way more kids play Basketball around the world when compared to football. Even with the larger talent pool, they have a much smaller draft making it even harder to get drafted than the massive NFL draft, plus free agent situation.
Don't give me that BS.

6'4"-6'6" 240lb-260lb Defensive Lineman are out-jumping NBA guards that weight 102lbs.

The average vertical in the NBA is 28 inches.
NFL Offensive Linemen are 300+ and jump higher than that.

They're great athletes but they're not as explosive as football players. Their training regimens wouldn't even lead them to being that way.

What are you basing that on? You are saying NFL players of equal height are more explosive than NBA players? I would be interested to see those stats.

Plenty of NBA players could have been NFL players had they wanted to go that route. I can't think of a single NFL player that could play in the NBA.

You have Jimmy Graham who was a basketball player that could never dream of playing in the NBA and now he is a 5x pro bowler. Antonio Gates had a similar situation.

TO was a college basketball player that knew he had no shot of making the NBA so he stuck with football.

There are literally 0 NBA players that decided to join the NBA because they weren't talented enough to play in the NFL.

You see it every year too with HS kids. The kids who just aren't talented enough to play D1 basketball so they decide to stick with football and end up going to P5 schools.

Very few people would choose to be NFL players over NBA players. NBA players make way more money and have much longer careers. Which is why they are able to get more talented players.

The basketball players who transition well to football are basically limited to the TE position, because that's the football position that most closely resembles the game of basketball.

If you combine my playing experience with my coaching experience I've either played or coached on 7 different campuses. On every one of those campuses the biggest/strongest/most explosive athlete was always a football player.

Football players don't play basketball because THEY'RE NOT GOOD AT BASKETBALL. Nothing more, nothing less. Has NOTHING to do with them not being athletic enough. Basketball takes a certain level of skill that goes beyond pure athleticism. The hard part of basketball is being THAT tall and still being able to possess that needed level of skill.

If you're a 6'0" basketball player and can dunk you're considered impressive. (cause you're "short")
Meanwhile a 6'0" football player can dunk off of vert with ease. (@ 220lbs, seen it with my own eyes)
Ever watch the old Footlocker Slam Dunk Contests? Barry Sanders jumping from **** near the free throw line at 5'8". Bryan Cox, a big a$$ Linebacker doing 360's and ****. Jim Leonhard is a 5'8" Safety from Wisconsin who dunks with ease. If he was a b-ball player at that height he'd be considered a dunking icon! In the football world he's just another short MF'er who can dunk, one of dozens.

This is a 6'6" 240+ Defensive Lineman who runs a sub 4.5 forty. So much for them having higher verticals just cause they're shorter.
manny.jpg

Last edited:
Wilt, the man did things that were just other worldly. IMHO one of the top 5 athletes to ever be recorded on any form of media. A player like Wilt would break today's NBA. I don't say this with malice, I really like and enjoy the NBA...he was simply just on a different level physically.

Last edited:
That's the problem with high verticals, the amount of force being put on the knees coming back down on impact is incredible.....and wears them out.

Zion is a freak athlete but that is a lot of weight on those joints. In the NBA, he's going to need to learn how to preserve his body over long seasons.

He gonna haves to slim way down like LeBron.

High reps over high weight and a blood feud against carbs and sugar.

He should do it now. He won’t lose much power in the paint and the relief on his joints will pay dividends for years.

Advertisement
Back