OT: Who had the highest Vertical of all time in the NBA?

You got no response so you responded with that *********. LMAO. If you think NFL has better athletes than the NBA than you must have an extra chromosome.
There's really no reason for you to be so combative.

Playing basketball at the highest level is very difficult, there's no doubt about it, and requires extremely high levels of athleticism - but there is no combination of factors greater than the athleticism required to be a safety in the NFL. I'll give you the NBA player on the combination of aerobic/anaerobic endurance and maybe hand-eye coordination, but everything else goes to the NFL player.

Close behind for me would be hockey players and Olympic gymnasts. I'd even take a rugby player if you wanted.

The obvious reason that some NBA players can make in the NFL is because they have the size to play as a TE, creating mismatches for LBs who have to guard them.

Advertisement
There's really no reason for you to be so combative.

Playing basketball at the highest level is very difficult, there's no doubt about it, and requires extremely high levels of athleticism - but there is no combination of factors greater than the athleticism required to be a safety in the NFL. I'll give you the NBA player on the combination of aerobic/anaerobic endurance and maybe hand-eye coordination, but everything else goes to the NFL player.

Close behind for me would be hockey players and Olympic gymnasts. I'd even take a rugby player if you wanted.

The obvious reason that some NBA players can make in the NFL is because they have the size to play as a TE, creating mismatches for LBs who have to guard them.

Combative? The guy started the combativeness by claiming I never played a sport.

You aren't factoring in the fact that NBA Players need to be al that, plus being tall.

The talent pool for the NBA is much bigger than the NFL. Way more kids across the planet play basketball than football. So not only do they have a MUCH bigger talent pool, they also have a much smaller draft, and an even smaller percentage of drafted players even make the league.

It is very surprising when you hear about a good college safety not even getting signed to a practice squad. It is not surprising to hear great CBB players not getting signed.

Combative? The guy started the combativeness by claiming I never played a sport.

You aren't factoring in the fact that NBA Players need to be al that, plus being tall.

The talent pool for the NBA is much bigger than the NFL. Way more kids across the planet play basketball than football. So not only do they have a MUCH bigger talent pool, they also have a much smaller draft, and an even smaller percentage of drafted players even make the league.

It is very surprising when you hear about a good college safety not even getting signed to a practice squad. It is not surprising to hear great CBB players not getting signed.
I think you're missing my point. I'm not claiming that more people don't play basketball and therefore the "talent" pool is larger, my point is that the requirements of football are harder than that of basketball. It's truly apples to oranges - these are not the same type of athletes, so how hard it is to make it in the NBA is irrelevant to the NFL.

From a strength and conditioning / athletic perspective, it is harder to have to cover Calvin Johnson, hit/tackle Ezekiel Elliot, adjust your coverage to different looks Tom Brady is giving you, and do it all game without giving up the big play, all while running a 4.3 at 210-230lbs. It's a miracle to have a long career in the NFL because it is objectively harder on the body and more difficult to stay competitive than it is in the NBA.

Again, this isn't a dig on NBA players as I also consider them to be incredibly athletic.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not claiming that more people don't play basketball and therefore the "talent" pool is larger, my point is that the requirements of football are harder than that of basketball. It's truly apples to oranges - these are not the same type of athletes, so how hard it is to make it in the NBA is irrelevant to the NFL.

From a strength and conditioning / athletic perspective, it is harder to have to cover Calvin Johnson, hit/tackle Ezekiel Elliot, adjust your coverage to different looks Tom Brady is giving you, and do it all game without giving up the big play, all while running a 4.3 at 210-230lbs. It's a miracle to have a long career in the NFL because it is objectively harder on the body and more difficult to stay competitive than it is in the NBA.

Again, this isn't a dig on NBA players as I also consider them to be incredibly athletic.

Of course it is harder on the body. I am not arguing that. However, I do think it is easier to do that, then trying to cover Lebron James. More NBA players could play in the NFL than vice versa. Which is my point.

Advertisement
Lest we forget.....

C45ACD8C-4B2B-4FCD-A261-85B5B2029416.png
6D39B1D3-4F58-49B0-9E9A-09BF2859022D.jpeg

They changed the rules THREE times to slow down Wilt. The number two sports "argument" in my home is with my son. In his heart of hearts he truly believes that Shaq on his best day takes Wilt on his best day. Take out the 100 pt game, just remove it. He still had more 40 point games in a season that Jordan had in his career.

Shaq could take Wilt.

Wilt never faced anything like that, either. Shaq could dribble coast to coast as well. His drop step and pivot is unmatched in devastation.

Seven games one on one? I got Wilt in 7.

We still don’t appreciate Shaq’s mobility and lower body strength. He would hip check Wilt into oblivion just like anybody else.

They would have difficulty stopping each other from scoring. The guy who got the ball first would win most of their one on ones.

Advertisement
Never in my life have I seen a 17 year old close to 7 ft at the time look like this. It's mind boggling. I saw P Ewing 3-4 times in HS pure domination. But this guy is just in another world. Off the charts. Can you imagine Shaq trying to keep up with him for 5 minutes? Or any other center for that matter. I wish I had gotten to see him. Imagine in todays game what he could do with 24 second clock, man to man. Great find thanks for posting!!!!

Check this out...

Are we forgetting Vince Carter did a reverse 360 windmill off vert? Something that was never done before, and the **** put his whole arm in the rim!

And also, ya'll sleeping on Zach Levine's vert. Believe he's at 46 right now.

But truth be told, none of these guys have anything on these street ballers. If anyone ever remembers NBA Live 2005, they had this crazy double between the legs dunk during their all star weekend. They got guys doing that chit. But this is one of my favorite videos regarding just pure leaping abilities.

Advertisement
More interesting question is, who had the shortest vertical.....I mean a guy actually jumping all out, not some lump just standing there.

Rule out wheelchair basketball, too.

VC best in-game dunker ever and in the conversation for top 5 slam dunk performance ever. Had a good vert, but Vince has an 83" wingspan and that deceptively gives him higher looking max vert.

Of the top of my head,

MJ
Griffith
James White
LaVine

Sh... I've seen Muggsy get up too in his day. He's gotta be up there at 5'2 ish

You got no response so you responded with that *********. LMAO. If you think NFL has better athletes than the NBA than you must have an extra chromosome.
Based on your basic argument that pay = athleticism boxers, baseball, soccer, and golfers are the best athletes.

Advertisement
Peppers is one of the most athletic defensive ends literally ever. Athletic enough to walk onto UNC, drop 21pts and 10 rebounds in the NCAA tourney, then decide he didn't want to play anymore. If he decided he wanted to focus on basketball, there's little doubt he would have made it, IMO - but that's neither here nor there.
Nate Robinson was a decent role player in the NBA; He was a better defensive back in high school to college, he went to Washington originally to play just football. Steve Francis when he was a point guard for the Rockets had a vertical jump of - 43 inches when he won the slam dunk contest.. Michael Jordan before he used the weight room to add muscle had a vertical jump of, 48 inches.

Basketball is a contact sport for the lower body as they have solid concrete under the hardwood. Madison Square Garden is home for a NBA, NHL, Professional wrestling, and numerous other events; A career in football is a contact sport for the entire body. Look at Earl Campbell, he's a hall of fame running back in the nfl.. As he was that good at running over other grown men but now his entire body is in constant pain, his nfl network show displayed as the cameras was in his home after his playing days were over.

Oh and March Madness is literally a game by game tournament. Look at Jimmy Graham who was barely the second best player off the bench for the basketball team at Miami; Look at his career with the Saints before the wear and tear of football. He never played football at Miami, and one very unfortunate torn patella making what was just a routine play with Seattle cut his football athleticism by a huge amount.

Oh and March Madness is literally a game by game tournament. Look at Jimmy Graham who was barely the second best player off the bench for the basketball team at Miami; Look at his career with the Saints before the wear and tear of football. He never played football at Miami, and one very unfortunate torn patella making what was just a routine play with Seattle cut his football athleticism by a huge amount.

Jimmy Graham did play football at Miami in the ‘09 season. He had a good game in the win vs Oklahoma, too.

Advertisement
Back