OT - What lurks in Lake Osceola?

A kid drowned in Lake Osceola like 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure they recovered his body though. Although the occasional stench that used to come off the lake in the morning might lead one to think otherwise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What lives in Lake Osceola? Nasty algae that rots like a corps right near the towers. Take a big sniff.

I figured the story was BS when I started hearing people flip flopping between FSU and UF. It sounded like a tall tale. I figured I would let people in on the early 2010s Miami Lore lol. Thanks for letting me know it was a bunch of BS.

However, the myth was based in reality though. There really was a croc living in the lake(most UM students can't tell the difference between a gator or Croc. Myself included). Someone really did go in and kill it lol. Some rednecks really did kill it(I assume if you are going to go illegaly hunt a croc, by yourself, and keep the head and tail as a trophy, you are probably a redneck). lol.

Not sure about croc meat, but the tail and cheek meat are what you keep.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There were some huge barracuda in there, 20 plus pounds easy. Huge tarpon as well. I remember someone catching one that weighed over 70 pounds and there was a picture in the Miami Hurricane. Fishing one night my friend reeled in a small alligator. We were wondering how we would handle unhooking it but then it spit out his bait on its own. 2 years later that alligator was too big for comfort and I watched them wrangle it out of the lake in a canoe to release somewhere. It was also hazardous to walk the sidewalk by Eaton because you were likely to get slapped in the face by a flying mullet as the cane fishermen yanked them from the water. The good fishing pretty much died when they put the fountain in.

I know there were fish there, I was never very interested. Other than it looks nice and makes for great pictures and it’s relaxing to walk around, that was the limit of my relationship with LO. It looks nice to me, but I was never motivated to go in it, to be honest. But barracuda? First time I’ve heard of it.

Last edited:
I know there were fish there, I was never very interested. Other than it looks nice and makes for great pictures and it’s relaxing to walk around, that was the limit of my relationship with LO. It looks nice to me, but I was never motivated to go in it, to be honest. But barracuda? First time I’ve heard of it.
I always thought that is what they were. There were several really large (ie 4 feet or more) ones floating in the water near the music building. That area was elevated versus the lake and you could see down at a good vantage point. They sort of just floated below the surface. It’s possible that they were gar - but I could have sworn they looked like barracudas.

Advertisement
One of my sons found a sheet of paper protected by plastic in the lake. It said Play 5 and was signed by CMR. Apparently I have been incorrect the last 2 years because I thought we only had 4 plays. Shanked Punt was my favorite BTW.

Swamp Rabbit an her peoples.
BiV9koVIEAAocDT

60f46ccbe44fc064865c8aed0d74251d.jpg
That's definitely Polk county there...

Mature barracuda live offshore usually near reefs or other structures but come inshore to lay eggs. Juvenile barracuda will spend the early portion of their lives in mangrove shallows until they're big enough to hit the open waters. I'm not willing to call anyone here a liar because weird stuff happens in nature all the time but it would be very odd to find a large barracuda that far inshore unless it was possibly spawning. Even then it's a pretty good distance from the coastal mangrove marshes where they normally spawn to the UM campus.

LMFAOOO bro. I heard the hottub story, but I figured it was another myth. Hilarious that it was actually true.
That’s hilarious! How did you get the hot tub in the room?

When I was at Hecht I remember one of the guys on my floor wanted to construct a balcony off of his dorm room so he could go outside and smoke without disturbance. It would have been interesting if he had actually gone through it (ala the hot tub), given that we were many stories up.

Advertisement
There were definitely barracuda in the lake in the late 60s as I saw them. Definitely barracuda about 3 feet long. Also have seen alligators back then. However the most dangerous animals that haunted that lake were the geese. Crap all over everything then take a run at you screaming and trying to bite. Mean ****ers. I recall one time one of them came charging at me head down neck outstretched trying to bite and I wound up kicking it *** over tailfeathers into the lake. That particular goose never bothered me again.

That’s hilarious! How did you get the hot tub in the room?

When I was at Hecht I remember one of the guys on my floor wanted to construct a balcony off of his dorm room so he could go outside and smoke without disturbance. It would have been interesting if he had actually gone through it (ala the hot tub), given that we were many stories up.

Wow ok so long post......

I had everything pre-measured and the idea matured quickly.... roommate was surfing on craigslist and saw a hot tub, he shows it to me and says think we can do it? I pulled the dimensions off the company website and first weight test, put painters tape on the floor in the shape of hot tub, calculate the weight of the hottub plus 300 gallons of water, got a bunch of my friends and seantrel henderson was there to stand within the blue tape and all jump to see if the floor would hold, then found that if you put the hottub on its side and took the door off the hinges it would fit (by 1/2 inch), knew we could get it up the stairs but 7th floor f-that.... when I was there 1 of the 3 elevators was a little bigger, it had like two doors, one in front one in back, for kids only going up one floor or something and if you lifted the hot tub at an angle in that elevator so it was like a diamond, it would fit....

so we hopped in the truck, had friends hold open the back doors at mahoney so we could rush in w/out swiping cane cards, had other friends holding the one elevator that is slightly bigger, had already tapped out the hinges to my door so as we rushed it down the hallway the door could just pop off the door and we had to loft both beds and instead of futon under it we had a hot tub.

Took a regular hose and unscrewed the shower head and screwed the hose on to fill it. Next came the electrical issue because when we plugged it in immediately knocked out power to half the floor.... I had to run an extension cord to a different outlet on a different circuit to just run the pump and a second cord for the heating element and just had the thing on constantly.... then AC became an issue, not sure if they still do but mahoney had dumb *** thermostats that were motion detected so if you went to class it would shut off, well with the hottub, we would come back from class to a **** rain forest so I cut the wires to that and put on a regular thermostat, AC was on 69, constantly never off......

RA's thought we were throwing "shower parties" with the trail of water going to my room after grove nights until a "random" room inspection got us.... this was after I already had warnings for: drinking, filleting fish in the stairwell, making fake parking passes for guests, jet ski in the lake, making a slip in slide in the towers, so this was the last straw...

campus was pushing a "green moment" meanwhile my dorm room was essentially black with the amount of power we were drawing.... Off campus had some really nice options though

When I was at Miami in the early 90s I recall that the lake had a colony of barracudas, and once had a manatee that somehow made its way up to the bridge near the student center. The shore of the lake was infested with seemingly unfriendly, diahretic ducks and the occasional snake.

In Perry’s recent social media post he had a shot of the lake, and apparently there are now alligators there. Is there an alligator population in the lake now? The water was supposed to be brackish...can gators live in it? And if so, don’t they pose some risk to the students?

What else is living in Osceola? I’ve heard in the past that Florida crocodiles had been found there. Have Bull sharks ever been seen?

Just curious.

Those ducks were all kinds of fcked up. They haunt my dreams.

Advertisement

I had everything pre-measured and the idea matured quickly.... roommate was surfing on craigslist and saw a hot tub, he shows it to me and says think we can do it? I pulled the dimensions off the company website and first weight test, put painters tape on the floor in the shape of hot tub, calculate the weight of the hottub plus 300 gallons of water, got a bunch of my friends and seantrel henderson was there to stand within the blue tape and all jump to see if the floor would hold, then found that if you put the hottub on its side and took the door off the hinges it would fit (by 1/2 inch), knew we could get it up the stairs but 7th floor f-that.... when I was there 1 of the 3 elevators was a little bigger, it had like two doors, one in front one in back, for kids only going up one floor or something and if you lifted the hot tub at an angle in that elevator so it was like a diamond, it would fit....

so we hopped in the truck, had friends hold open the back doors at mahoney so we could rush in w/out swiping cane cards, had other friends holding the one elevator that is slightly bigger, had already tapped out the hinges to my door so as we rushed it down the hallway the door could just pop off the door and we had to loft both beds and instead of futon under it we had a hot tub.

Took a regular hose and unscrewed the shower head and screwed the hose on to fill it. Next came the electrical issue because when we plugged it in immediately knocked out power to half the floor.... I had to run an extension cord to a different outlet on a different circuit to just run the pump and a second cord for the heating element and just had the thing on constantly.... then AC became an issue, not sure if they still do but mahoney had dumb *** thermostats that were motion detected so if you went to class it would shut off, well with the hottub, we would come back from class to a **** rain forest so I cut the wires to that and put on a regular thermostat, AC was on 69, constantly never off......

RA's thought we were throwing "shower parties" with the trail of water going to my room after grove nights until a "random" room inspection got us.... this was after I already had warnings for: drinking, filleting fish in the stairwell, making fake parking passes for guests, jet ski in the lake, making a slip in slide in the towers, so this was the last straw...

campus was pushing a "green moment" meanwhile my dorm room was essentially black with the amount of power we were drawing.... Off campus had some really nice options though

I dont know if your parents would be proud or disappointed but that's a good story.

Much respect. And this is IN NO WAY a slight to you, it's simply a commentary on how UM overreacts, but everything you just described...is a drop in the bucket compared to what goes on at CalTech. At CalTech, your engineering ingenuity would be rewarded, not punished.

Advertisement
Back