OT - What lurks in Lake Osceola?

When I was at Miami in the early 90s I recall that the lake had a colony of barracudas, and once had a manatee that somehow made its way up to the bridge near the student center. The shore of the lake was infested with seemingly unfriendly, diahretic ducks and the occasional snake.

In Perry’s recent social media post he had a shot of the lake, and apparently there are now alligators there. Is there an alligator population in the lake now? The water was supposed to be brackish...can gators live in it? And if so, don’t they pose some risk to the students?

What else is living in Osceola? I’ve heard in the past that Florida crocodiles had been found there. Have Bull sharks ever been seen?

Just curious.

When I was there. There was a rumor that ONE alligator lived in the lake and some red necks(either from Tallahassee or Gainesville depending on who was telling the story). Came down with a whole chicken from the supermarket. Lured it out and killed it the night before our game against FSU/UF. It may be completely false or it may have some truth to it. I literally saw 0 gators in my 4 years on campus, but tons of Ibis.

Maybe somehow Gators moved back in. Maybe they restocked the lake. Not too sure.

This was in 2010-2014.

Advertisement
Lol....gators can definitely live brackish water. I see them kayaking nearly every trip to mosquito lagoon. Also bull sharks breed in brackish waters around the world.
Fish the lagoon every weekend, glad to see some fellow canes fans fishing it.

Ok as of 2008 I have personally caught the following: mullet, peacock bass, redfish, tarpon, salt water croc, tilapia. It is honestly one of the craziest lakes I have ever fished, definitely brackish and yes gators can live in it.

When I was there. There was a rumor that ONE alligator lived in the lake and some red necks(either from Tallahassee or Gainesville depending on who was telling the story). Came down with a whole chicken from the supermarket. Lured it out and killed it the night before our game against FSU/UF. It may be completely false or it may have some truth to it. I literally saw 0 gators in my 4 years on campus, but tons of Ibis.

Maybe somehow Gators moved back in. Maybe they restocked the lake. Not too sure.

This was in 2010-2014.

False and not calling you false just the true story, it was a saltwater croc that a landscapers son caught and killed. He got in big trouble for it. (I only know because I got called in for questioning) he took the head and tail and left the carcass on a bank. Alligators have a hunting season on them crocs are protected species.

Edit. Here is link about the killing

Funny thing is I can remember moving to Jupiter in 1978 and a guy wanting to fight me because I said there were crocodiles in Florida and he said there weren't. It ****ed him off more when I said there were bears too.

Advertisement
False and not calling you false just the true story, it was a saltwater croc that a landscapers son caught and killed. He got in big trouble for it. (I only know because I got called in for questioning) he took the head and tail and left the carcass on a bank. Alligators have a hunting season on them crocs are protected species.

I figured the story was BS when I started hearing people flip flopping between FSU and UF. It sounded like a tall tale. I figured I would let people in on the early 2010s Miami Lore lol. Thanks for letting me know it was a bunch of BS.

However, the myth was based in reality though. There really was a croc living in the lake(most UM students can't tell the difference between a gator or Croc. Myself included). Someone really did go in and kill it lol. Some rednecks really did kill it(I assume if you are going to go illegaly hunt a croc, by yourself, and keep the head and tail as a trophy, you are probably a redneck). lol.

went fishing in the reservoir Gouain. Its a man made lake from the HYDRO QUEBEC DAMS. we fished in this reservoir for hours and my father along with his brother that worked for HYDRO QUEBEC caught a northern pike that weighed 45 pounds. its on film. i never seen a monster fish like that. my little sister was about 7 yrs old and took pictures of it. its amazing what lurks in these waters. remember, we know more about space than our oceans and lakes. spooky.

I figured the story was BS when I started hearing people flip flopping between FSU and UF. It sounded like a tall tale. I figured I would let people in on the early 2010s Miami Lore lol. Thanks for letting me know it was a bunch of BS.

However, the myth was based in reality though. There really was a croc living in the lake(most UM students can't tell the difference between a gator or Croc. Myself included). Someone really did go in and kill it lol. Some rednecks really did kill it(I assume if you are going to go illegaly hunt a croc, by yourself, and keep the head and tail as a trophy, you are probably a redneck). lol.

I was always fishing the lake, I once put my stand up jet ski in there and had some fun, had an RA rat me out so I cast netted a bunch of mullet and pushed them in the ceiling tile outside his dorm room then I used rope from the umbrellas at the rat to make a slipknot and had the croc in a drain pipe by the wellness center and had caught him. Two weeks later he was dead and there was video of me wrestling him on fb so they called me in thinking I did it so that’s the only reason I was so aware of the story.

I was always fishing the lake, I once put my stand up jet ski in there and had some fun, had an RA rat me out so I cast netted a bunch of mullet and pushed them in the ceiling tile outside his dorm room then I used rope from the umbrellas at the rat to make a slipknot and had the croc in a drain pipe by the wellness center and had caught him. Two weeks later he was dead and there was video of me wrestling him on fb so they called me in thinking I did it so that’s the only reason I was so aware of the story.

LMAO bro this whole time you are telling me this I figured the story was taking place in like the 40s or 50s. Then you said FB and I can't believe this took place in the FB era. I was at school in 2010-2014 only a few years after you. And I will tell you this much. In my time at school. If you rigged a bunch of fish to fall on the RAs head. You would literally be charged with assault and battery or some trumped up charge lmao.

Advertisement
LMAO bro this whole time you are telling me this I figured the story was taking place in like the 40s or 50s. Then you said FB and I can't believe this took place in the FB era. I was at school in 2010-2014 only a few years after you. And I will tell you this much. In my time at school. If you rigged a bunch of fish to fall on the RAs head. You would literally be charged with assault and battery or some trumped up charge lmao.

Oh not rigged to fall just so they would rot and stink up his room and be unable to find them lol I was finally kicked off campus when I put a full size hot tub on the 7th floor of Mahoney. I was on final disciplinary probation halfway through sophomore year. My time overlapped with you being there lol 07-11

Oh not rigged to fall just so they would rot and stink up his room and be unable to find them lol I was finally kicked off campus when I put a full size hot tub on the 7th floor of Mahoney. I was on final disciplinary probation halfway through sophomore year. My time overlapped with you being there lol 07-11

LMFAOOO bro. I heard the hottub story, but I figured it was another myth. Hilarious that it was actually true.

That's Florida for you...a couple of seniors bangin' one out in the bushes at the Villages and they get six months.

They should get a good conduct certificate....serve as examples to others.

Go figure.

Advertisement
LMFAOOO bro. I heard the hottub story, but I figured it was another myth. Hilarious that it was actually true.

Nope that one was legit me. Had to use the bigger elevator take the door off the hinges, rig up a hose to the shower head to fill it. It was elaborate. Had it for months then they said I violated the rule book. Rule book had no rule against hot tubs. They said it was synonymous to a water bed, well rule book also said we could have fish so I said I’d drop a goldfish in it and it be my 300 gallon fish tank. Long story short I appealed to the student board lost got kicked off campus, rule book amended. No hot tubs lol

Funny thing is I can remember moving to Jupiter in 1978 and a guy wanting to fight me because I said there were crocodiles in Florida and he said there weren't. It ****ed him off more when I said there were bears too.
Did you tell him there were mountain lions (or really, Panthers) in FLA.

Advertisement
Nope that one was legit me. Had to use the bigger elevator take the door off the hinges, rig up a hose to the shower head to fill it. It was elaborate. Had it for months then they said I violated the rule book. Rule book had no rule against hot tubs. They said it was synonymous to a water bed, well rule book also said we could have fish so I said I’d drop a goldfish in it and it be my 300 gallon fish tank. Long story short I appealed to the student board lost got kicked off campus, rule book amended. No hot tubs lol

That is hilarious. You are a school legend. I literally heard that story years after it actually happened. The RAs at that school are pricks. I had tons of run ins with Laila at hecht. lol.

went fishing in the reservoir Gouain. Its a man made lake from the HYDRO QUEBEC DAMS. we fished in this reservoir for hours and my father along with his brother that worked for HYDRO QUEBEC caught a northern pike that weighed 45 pounds. its on film. i never seen a monster fish like that. my little sister was about 7 yrs old and took pictures of it. its amazing what lurks in these waters. remember, we know more about space than our oceans and lakes. spooky.
A friend is a limnologist. Field is fascinating.

Finding it really hard to believe that there’s ever been any barracuda there.
There were some huge barracuda in there, 20 plus pounds easy. Huge tarpon as well. I remember someone catching one that weighed over 70 pounds and there was a picture in the Miami Hurricane. Fishing one night my friend reeled in a small alligator. We were wondering how we would handle unhooking it but then it spit out his bait on its own. 2 years later that alligator was too big for comfort and I watched them wrangle it out of the lake in a canoe to release somewhere. It was also hazardous to walk the sidewalk by Eaton because you were likely to get slapped in the face by a flying mullet as the cane fishermen yanked them from the water. The good fishing pretty much died when they put the fountain in.

Advertisement
Back