OT: Was Kobe the most competitive player in league history?

Cuban-Cane

Recruit
Hard to think of a better one. He was someone limited athletically but just found ways through working on different areas of his game.

Advertisement
Hard to think of a better one. He was someone limited athletically but just found ways through working on different areas of his game.

1580416117911.gif

Kobe is arguably the most fierce competitor in sports history, forget basketball

The Kobe hype just spinning out of control...And for all the competitiveness everyone just want to forget when he flat out quit in a game 7 of a playoff series? ('06 Suns)RIP though. I mean that was a COLD BLOODED quit, no 2 ways about it.

R.I.P though great player, and definite props because he played both ends of the court.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jordan. But at that level it is really impossible to distinguish between: Jordan, Bryant, Bird, Magic.
They are all pathologically competitive to an almost destructive point. See Jordan losing millions betting in gold, or Kobe shooting free throws with a torn achilles, or Magic returning to play after the HIV retirement. Bird was as competitive but his back severely limited him.

The Kobe hype just spinning out of control...And for all the competitiveness everyone just want to forget when he flat out quit in a game 7 of a playoff series? ('06 Suns)RIP though. I mean that was a COLD BLOODED quit, no 2 ways about it.

R.I.P though great player, and definite props because he played both ends of the court.

Indeed. Kobe was a good athlete, not a great one. Kobe was very competitive, but he was not even in Jordan's league.

Advertisement
Kobe is up there. I would take Jordan over him. I would take Bird over him, too. Bird was equal parts genius and competitor. He outplayed everyone he matched up against. Also I would take Duncan over Kobe when I get away from a player's *** appeal.

Kobe was a great player, but his flaws are being glossed over and have been glossed over since the last few years of his career.

My top 15 all time:

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Lebron
4) Wilt
5) Magic
6) Bird
7) Russell
8) Duncan
9) Kobe
10) Shaq
11) Big O
12) Durant
13) Olajuwon
14) Jerry West
15) Tie between: a lot of guys (Isiah, Dirk, etc.)

Kobe was up there, but what this thread tells me is some people didn't watch Michael Jordan play basketball as much or as closely as even Kobe Bryant did.

Agree with the poster who mentioned Jordan and Bird. There's an argument for Magic, too, who was more passive aggressive how he went about it. If we're talking about all sports, also consider names like Pete Rose, Walter Payton and Jerry Rice.

Kobe was great. He's definitely in the discussion. He passed tragically. We can pay him respect earned without taking it too far.

Advertisement
@RemainMack

I think you accidentally made a mistake.

You have a guy who is notorious for bouncing from team to team in search of teammates who can help him get rings as #3 competitor all time

I didnt quote OP so you can edit it still
I’ll delete this when you do

no one has to know

To many young un's around here never saw MJ play and are drinking the Kobe Kool aid. Was he great, yes absolutely. Was he in MJ's class... **** no! Horace Grant left the Bulls and went to Magic in part because Michael humiliated him in practice on a regular basis because he didn't think he played hard enough and was soft. Jordan's competitive drive is legendary and to compare him to Kobe is plain foolish.

MJ pinches Steve Kerr in practice.
kobe played with Derek fisher for idk how many years and Derek fisher was never even inviters to his house.
It’s a different dna for both of them. But I would say that mj had a slight edge.

Advertisement
Back