Off-Topic Vidja Games...Whatcha playin'?

Thanks for the advice. You guys helped me big time. I’ve narrowed my choices down to the HP Omen (I7, 16GB, RTX 260, 512GB SSD, over my original budget but if that value is worth it, so be it), Lenovo Legion 5 (I7, 8GB, 1660TI, 512GB SSD) and the HP Pavilion (I5, 8GB, 1660TI, 512 GB SSD+32 GB Octane)

Definitely appreciate the advice on not really needing a pc and console. I was already thinking it would be overkill. I’m going to try and just stick to the pc, but I already know I’m such an impulsive buyer with technology, that I’ll end up getting a console to play something like Spiderman or MLB The Show. I got you guys booked marked so that I can hit y’all up when I build my tower.
Late to the reply but out of those then go with the HP Omen. Definitely hit me or any of us up when ready to build the tower and I’ll send some links your way if good deals come up and great parts. We in the same county so it ain’t nothing to help if ya ever hit a snag. 🤙🏾
Edit: definitely don’t need console and pc unless you really love the exclusives. I’m biting the bullet and getting a ps5 just for the exclusives, everything else is gonna be pc.

Advertisement
Late to the reply but out of those then go with the HP Omen. Definitely hit me or any of us up when ready to build the tower and I’ll send some links your way if good deals come up and great parts. We in the same county so it ain’t nothing to help if ya ever hit a snag. 🤙🏾
Edit: definitely don’t need console and pc unless you really love the exclusives. I’m biting the bullet and getting a ps5 just for the exclusives, everything else is gonna be pc.
Def ps5 and pc. You can sign up for game pass for Xbox exclusives and cancel when finished.

@TerragonSix, @LeedsCane, @Dhatguy. Ended up getting the Omen 2060. It crashed on me while I was going through the initial start up settings and twice more after that. I realized I was running off battery and plugged it in, it’s been smooth since. Besides the crashes, I’m satisfied.

I just seen something about GeoForce experience. Is getting that necessary? Any other apps you guys recommend downloading for the best experience on my specific laptop?

@TerragonSix, @LeedsCane, @Dhatguy. Ended up getting the Omen 2060. It crashed on me while I was going through the initial start up settings and twice more after that. I realized I was running off battery and plugged it in, it’s been smooth since. Besides the crashes, I’m satisfied.

I just seen something about GeoForce experience. Is getting that necessary? Any other apps you guys recommend downloading for the best experience on my specific laptop?
Yes. GeForce experience allows you to keep your video card drivers updated.

For games, Steam is a must have. You can purchase good games on there, and usually catch them on sale for a fraction of what they usually cost.

Advertisement
About 3/4 of the way through my rerun of the last of us, what a game. Heard pretty underwhelming things about last of us 2 but I’m going to buy it anyways since I loved the first one so much. Disappointed halo infinite was delayed until next year since I was looking forward to it but hopefully that means it’ll be a great game when it’s time comes. At least we have MCC to tide us over

Yes. GeForce experience allows you to keep your video card drivers updated.

For games, Steam is a must have. You can purchase good games on there, and usually catch them on sale for a fraction of what they usually cost.
I’ve had Steam for years like just for Cities Skyline. Played that game for hours sometimes on my old HP 15.

I’m playing around with the settings in GeForce now. Is optimize set to the games recommend settings or my specific laptop, if that makes any sense?

Edit: I guess I figured it’s to my specific laptop by going into custom settings and seeing you can set optimize to give or take on performance vs. Quality

Last edited:
I’ve had Steam for years like just for Cities Skyline. Played that game for hours sometimes on my old HP 15.

I’m playing around with the settings in GeForce now. Is optimize set to the games recommend settings or my specific laptop, if that makes any sense?

Edit: I guess I figured it’s to my specific laptop by going into custom settings and seeing you can set optimize to give or take on performance vs. Quality
It (GeForce) runs an algorithm based on your hardware profile and current drivers, then sets what it -thinks- you should set your graphics to in games. My advice? Let it Optimise and see what you think but remember to turn off that awful motion blur and DoF where applicable. It looks dreadful and it costs you framed. Glad to see your laptop is running better now that you got through those hiccups. If you run into any other problems or want some tips on what superfluous settings to tone down on a given game, let any of us know (me most of all!). Most problems can usually be troubleshot in a few minutes 😄

I have a EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked video card. 5 years old. Runs anything I want @ 1080 @ 144hz. I prefer performance over pretty colors. Nothing is so distracting as when you are playing a game and you see the framerate 'chug' and the GPU struggles vainly to keep up. When I was playing Counter Strike: Source competitively, I had a Walmart PC on life support, and I was squeezing every frame I could out of it to get maximum performance. I was 16, and putting a grand into a PC was not feasible at $5.50 flipping burgers at Burger King.

....All that money was going into the gas tank.

After I close on my house this winter and build my bankroll back up and decorate the house, first thing I will do is build the best gaming PC I can. i7, GTX Titan, water cooling sort of stuff. It's going to be my greatest build ever.

After that, I've wanted a muscle car, so I'll likely get a used Dodge Challenger SRT with the 392, but no supercharger. Manual transmission. Either that or a late 90's Mustang and swap a 5.0 Coyote. I don't know yet. :)

Advertisement
So, from now until I get my hands on the game in a little over a week, I am just a massive fan of the Marvel’s Avengers games and Marvel again (I absolutely adored my time with the beta and truly cannot wait for the full title)... With this in mind, I have done some Reddit scouring and found a few prominent dataminers hard at work on the beta files and, wow there is a lot of stuff coming if those file dumps are accurate! The first is the pastebin link in which the 1.03 beta shows some of the things in the final game, including upcoming heroes War Machine, Kate Bishop, Captain Marvel, Peter Parker and She-Hulk. After I found that post, I dug around more and came across a second dataminer who went a step further and showed in real time him going through the PC beta’s files and finding Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Falcon, Mar-Vell, Mockingbird, Quake, Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Vision, Wasp and Winter Soldier in the files. Each hero will have a character card, daily and weekly challenges as well as level-up rewards in addition to a free and a premium progression path that is reminiscent of the battle pass system in games like Fortnite and Modern Warfare. The launch heroes also have these implemented and they are/were active in the beta. This lineup alone is already extremely exciting and the fact that they have stated openly that they plan to support this game for ‘many years’ with new locations, regions, missions, mission types, enemies, factions/enemy factions, villains/bosses and an ever-growing campaign means this game has unlimited potential. Let me know what you all think and how you enjoyed the beta if you played this weekend! I will be back for my full review, recommendations and some tips and tricks I have learned and will no doubt learn more of in the full game early next week, thank you for reading and actively engaging on this journey with me ❤️
(Pastbin was deleted 😔)

Last edited:
@TerragonSix, @LeedsCane, @Dhatguy, I’m getting a “boot device not found” , hard disk - (3F0) screen while trying to boot up and can’t get past that. Hard drive check passed and I tried loading the default BIOS settings. Anyway around this?

Edit: Had to reinstall the OS

Last edited:
So, from now until I get my hands on the game in a little over a week, I am just a massive fan of the Marvel’s Avengers games and Marvel again (I absolutely adored my time with the beta and truly cannot wait for the full title)... With this in mind, I have done some Reddit scouring and found a few prominent dataminers hard at work on the beta files and, wow there is a lot of stuff coming if those file dumps are accurate! The first is the pastebin link in which the 1.03 beta shows some of the things in the final game, including upcoming heroes War Machine, Kate Bishop, Captain Marvel, Peter Parker and She-Hulk. After I found that post, I dug around more and came across a second dataminer who went a step further and showed in real time him going through the PC beta’s files and finding Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Falcon, Mar-Vell, Mockingbird, Quake, Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Vision, Wasp and Winter Soldier in the files. Each hero will have a character card, daily and weekly challenges as well as level-up rewards in addition to a free and a premium progression path that is reminiscent of the battle pass system in games like Fortnite and Modern Warfare. The launch heroes also have these implemented and they are/were active in the beta. This lineup alone is already extremely exciting and the fact that they have stated openly that they plan to support this game for ‘many years’ with new locations, regions, missions, mission types, enemies, factions/enemy factions, villains/bosses and an ever-growing campaign means this game has unlimited potential. Let me know what you all think and how you enjoyed the beta if you played this weekend! I will be back for my full review, recommendations and some tips and tricks I have learned and will no doubt learn more of in the full game early next week, thank you for reading and actively engaging on this journey with me ❤️
(Pastbin was deleted 😔)
Wow!! That’s exciting news. You’re one of my favorite posters

Advertisement
It's hard to discuss it without spoiling the story. Visually it's stunning. The survival horror aspects are amplified in making you feel creeped out, to the point that I felt uncomfortable playing most of the game. But the story falls flat for a lot of people, which is a big part of Naughty Dog games. The story takes a hard left turn at about the 12 hour mark and never really recovers. The ending is pretty unsatisfying to me as well.
Yeah man I just finished it myself

So I can definitely see the chasm between two sides

Holy **** did they take some chances. The one aspect in particular I was flat out angry about

But I will say I got over it, and by the end appreciated the fact that I don’t know if I’ve played anything quite like it

But it all depends on how you deal with the midway point I think

I think I loved it though. Like you said there’s parts of it, I mean I was just so **** uncomfortable playing it. Never had a game do that to me to that level.

Wow!! That’s exciting news. You’re one of my favorite posters
Right back at you SouthParkCane ❤️❤️ Thank you and I hope to keep being so! I did come across a great article from GameSpot, plus another datamine of characters that includes Frenzy, Red Hulk and Vidicator. Frenzy is really exciting because she is a bonafide X-Men and shows a very different path for the game to take in the future! I am also getting an interview set up with the lead character designer of Cyberpunk 2077 and I should have that out here and on Arekkz’ channel in a month or so! Here is the GameSpot article about the endgame of Avengers, enjoy;https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...ll-be-more-involved-than-its-be/1100-6480786/

Advertisement
Man, I’m still ****ed I wasn’t able to get a PS5 preorder. I’ll probably just look forward to picking up the new CoD Black Ops and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla on the PS4 and call it a year.

Advertisement
Back