OT - Urban Meyer as Jags coach is a surprise

Maybe I’m the only one, but this is a huge surprise to me.

I’ve never seen Urban as an NFL type coach.

Not enough control over players, their behavior, and just general overall control.

It’s going to be interesting to see if someone who is predisposed to have a “health issues“ handles the pressure of not only working with multi-millionaires as its players, who are less beholden to the head coach, but of having to manage in an organization where there are many “chiefs“
Not exactly a developer of quarterbacks, but Lawrence is considered a generational talent.

Advertisement
I remember Spurrier getting slammed because he kept "college HC hours" and still tried to have a reasonable work life/balance as a NFL HC. He was viewed as lazy because he was only working 12 hour days as a NFL HC, when other coaches like Gruden sleep maybe 3-4 hrs per night (not an exaggeration). Washington sportswriters were jumping all over him as he was seen golfing one time during the season on a Tuesday afternoon. God forbid he actually take a couple hours a week to do something not football related. If Meyer's health concerns are real (it seems like they are legit) I don't think his NFL coaching career is going to last more than a couple years as it is going to grind him to a nub. I think he'd eventually kill it as a NFL coach, but the job will probably kill him first.
Matt Rhule looked progressively ****ed as the season went on.

I don't think he was expecting the NFL to be this much of a grind.

I remember Spurrier getting slammed because he kept "college HC hours" and still tried to have a reasonable work life/balance as a NFL HC. He was viewed as lazy because he was only working 12 hour days as a NFL HC, when other coaches like Gruden sleep maybe 3-4 hrs per night (not an exaggeration). Washington sportswriters were jumping all over him as he was seen golfing one time during the season on a Tuesday afternoon. God forbid he actually take a couple hours a week to do something not football related. If Meyer's health concerns are real (it seems like they are legit) I don't think his NFL coaching career is going to last more than a couple years as it is going to grind him to a nub. I think he'd eventually kill it as a NFL coach, but the job will probably kill him first.
I give him 3 years

Advertisement
Advertisement
High risk, high reward. At least the Jaguars are trying. For Urban...the Jaguars roster is actually not bad...and they have a guy that Urban has said is the best QB he's ever seen in college waiting for them at the #1 pick.

Urban probably thinks he's strutting in like Pete Carroll situation.

If he surrounds himself with some pro coaches, he could be cooking a meal there. Its not a place that can't win. They've gotten close.

High risk, high reward. At least the Jaguars are trying. For Urban...the Jaguars roster is actually not bad...and they have a guy that Urban has said is the best QB he's ever seen in college waiting for them at the #1 pick.

Urban probably thinks he's strutting in like Pete Carroll situation.

If he surrounds himself with some pro coaches, he could be cooking a meal there. Its not a place that can't win. They've gotten close.
Urban’s coaches will be his ‘guys’ as it were. Largely unproven or wholly inexperienced in the NFL. Linehan (rumoured) at OC, Strong for LBs

Advertisement
Advertisement
Maybe I’m the only one, but this is a huge surprise to me.

I’ve never seen Urban as an NFL type coach.

Not enough control over players, their behavior, and just general overall control.

It’s going to be interesting to see if someone who is predisposed to have a “health issues“ handles the pressure of not only working with multi-millionaires as its players, who are less beholden to the head coach, but of having to manage in an organization where there are many “chiefs“
I think he's well suited for the NFL for the very reason you mentioned. With college students he has no strong incentive over the players except playing time. In the NFL you have the all mighty dollar to get guys to behave. Taking money away or the threat of benching or being outright cut will get the attention of anyone looking to make the NFL their career.

He will be in the conference championship game by yr 3. Super bowl yr 4.
Kah Kah thrown at the wall. Will it stick...........?

Advertisement
Back