OT - Urban Meyer as Jags coach is a surprise

I remember Spurrier getting slammed because he kept "college HC hours" and still tried to have a reasonable work life/balance as a NFL HC. He was viewed as lazy because he was only working 12 hour days as a NFL HC, when other coaches like Gruden sleep maybe 3-4 hrs per night (not an exaggeration). Washington sportswriters were jumping all over him as he was seen golfing one time during the season on a Tuesday afternoon. God forbid he actually take a couple hours a week to do something not football related. If Meyer's health concerns are real (it seems like they are legit) I don't think his NFL coaching career is going to last more than a couple years as it is going to grind him to a nub. I think he'd eventually kill it as a NFL coach, but the job will probably kill him first.

This is a good point.

Both college and NFL coaches put in long hours, but in the NFL preparation is much more complex. You’re going up against the best athletes playing much more complex and well executed defensive and offensive schemes,

Advertisement
He’s trying to do what Jimmy Johnson did.
He’s getting the best quarterback available and he’s got a bunch of cap Space and a bunch of draft picks.
He thinks he’s set up like the hershel walker trade.

I actually see it in a slightly different way.

Urban has shown that he can tolerate the dregs of society (Aaron Hernandez, Zach Smith) if they help him to win.

I think you are correct that he will struggle to rein in some of the "NFL-level" distractions, but he is a stubborn guy. I also think he will be lucky to have a Tebow-like QB as his shield, he can let Sunshine get in there and "lead by example". I think when Saban was with the Dolphins, he lacked an on-field leader who could take some of the attention away from his "do it like I did it in college" shenanigans.
Saban's dolphins teams were filled with leaders. Its why he failed. The leaders aint f*ck with him, they didnt take his sh*t seriously. It works much better in college where he is a "god" to the players/staff and everyone around his short ***.
Urban is a bit different than saban..he is more of a savage. He could be a solid coach with the capital they have and his offense will work in the league with the qb he gonna get

Advertisement
I think he’ll do well. He’s got the knowledge of how to build teams, he’s been studying nfl teams the last couple years - interviewing players, GMs, coaches, etc. I think he’s formed a pretty good idea of what it takes to win in the nfl. He’s a **** good coach - I think he’ll do well

I think he'll be fine.

It's a QB league. If you have good QB play, you can compete in the NFL. They'll add Lawrence and if he lives up to his billing (which I think he will), Urban (or any coach) should be able to ride that to several winning seasons.

Saban's dolphins teams were filled with leaders. Its why he failed. The leaders aint f*ck with him, they didnt take his sh*t seriously. It works much better in college where he is a "god" to the players/staff and everyone around his short ***.
Urban is a bit different than saban..he is more of a savage. He could be a solid coach with the capital they have and his offense will work in the league with the qb he gonna get

I could have said that better. Not that there are "NO leaders" on the field, but that Saban had no leaders who were doing things HIS way, to take the heat off of him.

I agree, he had some very long-tenured Dolphins who were not buying in to his way. They were leaders. Just not "his" leaders.

I think that with Trevor Lawrence coming in on Day 1, if he buys into Urban's way, you'll have an on-field leader who will do the things that the (former college) coach wants.

I think it helped JJ that he had a brand new Troy, Emmett, and Michael in Dallas. I'm not saying that JJ is as bizarre as either Urban or Saban, but let's not forget that JJ cut that one Cowboy who fell asleep in a meeting.

this is a tough call.

is he jimmy johnson? (great success)

or is he nick saban? (awful failure)

my hunch is that if this was 7-8 years ago, and he had no health issues, then he has a good shot.

but now? it's more likely he flames out by season 3.

to be honest, i wouldn't be confident in either prediction.

Advertisement
He’s more Jimmy than he is Saban.

Plus he’s getting Lawrence a ton of draft capital and a ton of cap space.

I've come to one conclusion since I first heard the guys name mentioned. Don't doubt Meyer, he'll prove you wrong.

Strictly college coaching wise, I have him and Saban as my top two ever. I think he would've kept pace with Saban if he had stayed on the sidelines. He's also the master of adapting things to his personnel.

This is the NFL, so who knows what will happen.

Advertisement
He may well lose more games by Thanksgiving in Jacksonville than his entire time at O*** S****, must have been truckloads of money to get him away from a cushy TV gig...has anyone seen actual figures announced yet?

It's a money grab by Urban, he knows he can spend two years there and even if he gets canned he's set for life. He's a scumbag always has been always will be.
Wasn’t he already set for life?

I doubt he’s blown through his millions like MC Hammer.

I think he'll be fine.

It's a QB league. If you have good QB play, you can compete in the NFL. They'll add Lawrence and if he lives up to his billing (which I think he will), Urban (or any coach) should be able to ride that to several winning seasons.
Why would he draft Lawrence when he can trade down for more picks and just sign Tebow as his QB?

Advertisement
Meyer knows how to pick his spots for sure. He's got the 1st pick in the draft, a lot draft currency, some solid pieces in place in Jax (not many though), and about 70M in cap money.

Jax hired Meyer to bring in his expertise, ability to create a structure, and implement processes. Outside of being a total failure, I expect the ownership to be patient. It will help him that the game has become more offense-centric and more college-like in general. His durability is really the biggest concern the ownership should have.

I'm shocked that no other teams have thrown a truckload of money at Lincoln Riley and Dabo.

I’m always curious to see how guys who dominate college when they have superior talent can transition to the NFL where you’re not going to be waaaaay more talented than your opponent every week. Pete Carrol has done great. Nick Saban was mediocre. Steve Spurrier was garbage. I think you get to see who’s actually coaching and who’s just recruiting.

I’m always curious to see how guys who dominate college when they have superior talent can transition to the NFL where you’re not going to be waaaaay more talented than your opponent every week. Pete Carrol has done great. Nick Saban was mediocre. Steve Spurrier was garbage. I think you get to see who’s actually coaching and who’s just recruiting.

Yeah good point. That’s why tactical game planning is so important, you just can’t out talent everybody every Sunday. Talent levels are just too close

He has always fielded good offenses. The league hates when anyone attempts to play defense so this may actually work out for him

Advertisement
Back