OT - Urban Meyer as Jags coach is a surprise

I think it's a boom or bust situation. Yes, they have all that capital but how many times do teams truly maximize great opportunities like that. The one thing with him though is he knows how to build great staffs and if he can do that to alleviate some of the pressure off himself, I think he can be successful.

Landing Lawrence is a big first step and having some skill guys waiting in Robinson, Chark, and Shenault forms a good core to build off of.
There is a strong argument to be made, for the Jag's best over all long term prospects at success, to trade away #1 pick akin to Dallas' fleecing of Minnesota for Herschel Walker.

If Pope Urban finds a drunk lonely dance partner like that, would be very hard to turn down considering that number picks.

Sunshine, without an above average OL, isn't likely to be the saviour Jax fans are counting on him to be.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think it's a boom or bust situation. Yes, they have all that capital but how many times do teams truly maximize great opportunities like that. The one thing with him though is he knows how to build great staffs and if he can do that to alleviate some of the pressure off himself, I think he can be successful.

Landing Lawrence is a big first step and having some skill guys waiting in Robinson, Chark, and Shenault forms a good core to build off of.
There is a strong argument to be made, for the Jag's best over all long term prospects at success, to trade away #1 pick akin to Dallas' fleecing of Minnesota for Herschel Walker.

If Pope Urban finds a drunk lonely dance partner like that, wod be very hard to turn that down considering that many picks.

Sunshine without an above average OL isn't likely to be the saviour they would count on him to be.

After 2020 I am not surprised by anything anymore.

I don't want to say either way if Urban will fail or if he will be successful.

The NFL and the world in general is changing so much that it is very hard to predict what is going to happen.

I do know it will be fun to watch. First time I can say that about the Jags since the Mark Brunnell days. I will be tempted to watch a whole Jax game which I have not said since those days.

Even a couple years ago when they went to the AFC Championship they were pretty boring to watch from start to finish.

I actually see it in a slightly different way.

Urban has shown that he can tolerate the dregs of society (Aaron Hernandez, Zach Smith) if they help him to win.

I think you are correct that he will struggle to rein in some of the "NFL-level" distractions, but he is a stubborn guy. I also think he will be lucky to have a Tebow-like QB as his shield, he can let Sunshine get in there and "lead by example". I think when Saban was with the Dolphins, he lacked an on-field leader who could take some of the attention away from his "do it like I did it in college" shenanigans.
I agree with this, and remember this very important fact; he is a master of psychology and has been able to win people over everywhere. I think he will have success.

Advertisement
I agree with this, and remember this very important fact; he is a master of psychology and has been able to win people over everywhere. I think he will have success.

if urban can let go of what dooms a ton of college coaches ("dictator mentality"), he can succeed. i personally dont think hes made for the NFL esp with his "health" issues and you dont get a guarantee of four years in the NFL.

He’s going to have a good staff.

But I still have doubts, and those that assume he’s a homerun hire, with guaranteed playoffs in a couple of years...well there’s no such thing in the NFL. Especially with someone that hasn’t coached a single down in the NFL.

He could turn out to be a raging success, but I can’t emphasize this enough: he has zero NFL experience. In the last couple of decades, I can only think of one college coach that has had wild success in the transition from college to NFL. If anybody can think of more than one I’d love to hear it. And this one coach, Pete Carroll, had already coached in the NFL prior to going back to college, and then back to the NFL.

So in light of all of this, I still have that lingering original question. Why is he doing this? It can’t possibly be the money can it?

Advertisement
What you say regarding the facts of their situation is true, and your projections are reasonable.

But it’s a completely different thing going from college to the NFL. Especially for someone who is prickly and has a thin skinned personality.

I mean I’m not sure, it’s hard to predict the future, but I just don’t see him as someone who will be able to handle the day today of the NFL, where I don’t care what anybody says, you don’t have the control you do in the college
Perhaps he can revolutionize the NFL by utilizing bagmen to get high priced free agents to sign at minimum contracts. Just take the enhanced recruiting college model to a new level.

I remember Spurrier getting slammed because he kept "college HC hours" and still tried to have a reasonable work life/balance as a NFL HC. He was viewed as lazy because he was only working 12 hour days as a NFL HC, when other coaches like Gruden sleep maybe 3-4 hrs per night (not an exaggeration). Washington sportswriters were jumping all over him as he was seen golfing one time during the season on a Tuesday afternoon. God forbid he actually take a couple hours a week to do something not football related. If Meyer's health concerns are real (it seems like they are legit) I don't think his NFL coaching career is going to last more than a couple years as it is going to grind him to a nub. I think he'd eventually kill it as a NFL coach, but the job will probably kill him first.
I’m going to ask this question and I’ll use Gruden as the example...why is an 18 hour day necessary for a HC and his staff? It seems that this is a recipe for karoshi. I don’t accept that “this is the price for success”. You can’t grind at that level perpetually. If Gruden or any other HC is working at that level during the season, my first thought is that the support and analytics staff is too small.

Advertisement
I’m going to ask this question and I’ll use Gruden as the example...why is an 18 hour day necessary for a HC and his staff? It seems that this is a recipe for karoshi. I don’t accept that “this is the price for success”. You can’t grind at that level perpetually. If Gruden or any other HC is working at that level during the season, my first thought is that the support and analytics staff is too small.
If poor Urb tries putting in 18 hour days, he won't last two seasons. Suspect he'll be very annoyed to learn his recruiting skill set doesn't translate well to the NFL.

Advertisement
He didn't control that budding serial killer very well.Urban

Yes and no. He controlled him as far as his on-campus/football behavior. As far as what he did when he wasn’t on campus, Urban could not have cared less. As long as he remained eligible to play.

Advertisement
Back