OT: Uh Oh at Louisville...

Tyler

Freshman
We're not exactly in a position to be laughing about that happening

We're not exactly in a position to be laughing about that happening
#1 Speak for yourself
#2 20 kids aren't transfering at UM
#3 I'll laugh at what tf I want....

With the new rules, this going be a trend ..

ssvir

Sophomore
With the new rules, this going be a trend ..
What new rules are you referring to? The ones that say if you transfer you must sit out a year .... the same as its been for decades?

pacusmc

Freshman
Well then if it really is about playing time then they should have no problem signing the number one class.

Tetragrammaton Cane

Bandwagon Driverless
What new rules are you referring to? The ones that say if you transfer you must sit out a year .... the same as its been for decades?
I’m not sure that’s exactly true. What the new rule states, which is kind of what the last rule stated, is that you have five years to play 4. However, now you can use your SITOUT year as your red shirt year as long as you don’t play more than four games.

That’s how I understand it. Basically, any kid who hasn’t played more than 4 games can transfer and play next year immediately.

#1 Speak for yourself
#2 20 kids aren't transfering at UM
#3 I'll laugh at what tf I want....
Don't discount the idea that an exodus absolutely COULD happen here. Not saying it will, not saying it would be 20 if it did happen, but we could easily lose 5-10 transfers in an off-season. Easily. If Manny leaves and no further significant changes are made, I would not be surprised at all to see a bunch of guys looking out for their careers looking for a better opportunity.

This is why I say UM just can't afford to take this situation as lightly or "patiently" as they have in the past. Irreparable harm will come to this football program far faster than anyone currently considered "reasonable" is able to accept or understand.

ssvir

Sophomore
I’m not sure that’s exactly true. What the new rule states, which is kind of what the last rule stated, is that you have five years to play 4. However, now you can use your SITOUT year as your red shirt year as long as you don’t play more than four games.

That’s how I understand it. Basically, any kid who hasn’t played more than 4 games can transfer and play next year immediately.
I don't think that is accurate. Pretty sure you transfer ... you must sit out a year (unless the are a graduate transfer).

I've got Petrino leaving Campus with a RV full of Hot Blondes ALL throwing the middle finger up in the next few weeks...

Tetragrammaton Cane

Bandwagon Driverless
I don't think that is accurate. Pretty sure you transfer ... you must sit out a year (unless the are a graduate transfer).
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ootball-redshirt-transfer-20180924-story.html

new NCAA policy that makes it easier to redshirt football players comes with an unintended consequence: Players can now choose to save their eligibility by leaving teams after participating in four games, with plans to transfer and use the saved year at a new school.

…The NCAA also has some new rules regarding transfers that take effect this year. Starting on Oct. 15, the NCAA will have a database that keeps track of players who notify their coaches of their intent to transfer. Schools will no longer be able to block a transfer nor dictate where a player can go, unless their conferences have specific rules permitting that.

Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, downplayed the impact this new redshirt policy has on the transfer market. Berry noted players leaving teams midseason is not new.

Already coaches say they're noticing redshirt candidates feeling more invested because they're getting a chance to play rather than spending the entire season on the sidelines.

Any oline or dline guys we could poach???

TE depth would be nice

I saw their QB play this year they don’t seem to be better than us

ssvir

Sophomore
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ootball-redshirt-transfer-20180924-story.html

new NCAA policy that makes it easier to redshirt football players comes with an unintended consequence: Players can now choose to save their eligibility by leaving teams after participating in four games, with plans to transfer and use the saved year at a new school.

…The NCAA also has some new rules regarding transfers that take effect this year. Starting on Oct. 15, the NCAA will have a database that keeps track of players who notify their coaches of their intent to transfer. Schools will no longer be able to block a transfer nor dictate where a player can go, unless their conferences have specific rules permitting that.

Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, downplayed the impact this new redshirt policy has on the transfer market. Berry noted players leaving teams midseason is not new.

Already coaches say they're noticing redshirt candidates feeling more invested because they're getting a chance to play rather than spending the entire season on the sidelines.
Pretty sure you can take the redshirt and transfer but you still must sit out a year at the new school (unless you've graduated) so it doesn't save any eligibility.

Last edited:

Tetragrammaton Cane

Bandwagon Driverless
Pretty sure you can take the redshirt and transfer but you still must sit out a year at the new school (unless you've graduated) so it doesn't save any eligibility.
According to this ESPN article, you’re right.

Initially the thought was that this rule would mainly apply to incoming true freshmen. The first-year players could play in up to four games of the season and contribute and develop without burning a redshirt.

We are seeing now that the rule is having a big impact on more veteran players, using the rule to determine if their playing time will diminish, like Bryant at Clemson.

The rule does not discriminate against the number of years spent in a program, so it applies not just to true freshmen but any player who has not participated in more than four games in a single season.

The caveat to that is that the transfer rules still apply, so if a third-year player decides to redshirt for the season and transfer out after the season, he is still required to sit out the following year before being eligible to play. The way around that is for a player to graduate and then transfer, which would allow him to play immediately, similar to the way quarterback Joe Burrow did when he left Ohio State for LSU.

That's basically it. But I'd have to imagine that some of these players didn't red-shirt this year.

PokemonFisherman

Bring Back Goatee Richt
There’s probably something else up ... but definitely we should be recruiting our own players so we are not caught with our dick in our hands

M3N

Senior
Well have a few as well