OT: Ted Hendricks

Got remembrance....when he was in his raiders uniform on the sideline with the richard nixon smiley face with the peace sign up. That mad me laugh. #TheMadStork

Advertisement
I’m definitely one of the classic Old Farts on this site. Back in the day, the Mad Stork was in one of my classes at Miami, and I watched him many times in the old Orange Bowl. He was the best of the best without doubt.

I was a Senior when Ted was a Frosh at UM. He could change a game on defense like no other.

Not many people are aware that he was equally skilled as a 6'7 pass catcher on offense. He destroyed the UF Freshman Team as a WR. He never played that position because coaches back then did not value the passing game very much (played that old school, field position, low-scoring football) with the punter and RBs as the focal points on offense.

Wasn't he one of the players that called out how ridiculous D'Nofrio's defense was? Wasn't he one of the guys pointing out the LB's and saying, "Why is he playing so far back? What are his keys?"

Love the Mad Stork. He's one of my top 3 favorite players.

Advertisement
I met him at a UM HOF Banquet several yrs ago...Great person with tons of hilarious stories...

Think I shared this story, but back in the day, one of my clients went from ball boy to season ticket holder of the Oakland Raiders. Somehow, he & Ted became friends. The story goes, Ted & he went to a bar in Vallejo, which is, til this day, a ****’s Angel spot.

Long story short, Ted had a pool stick in his hand looking to fight for The ****’s Angel. My client said he had talked them down & got the **** (pun intended) out of there. Lol.

I absolutely know that. A bunch of Canes used to play for the Raiders, including the GOAT C Jim Otto.
Yep, knew about Otto.

RB Pete Banaszak, WR Bill Miller, LB Dan Conners, DL Tony Cline, and plenty of other Canes passing though (Owens, Maryland, Sapp, Buchanon, more) for a season or a few.

Advertisement
He still with us, so hopefully he’s sober and in recovery from his alcoholism.
He's gotten alot better in about the last ten years thankfully. Last 5 especially. He used to pound scotch and whiskey to the tune of **** near a bottle a day. Now he just sips on a neat. I'm proud of him for how he's come out of the last few years of life.

Wasn't he at a game and honored in the last few years (and "last few years" in my brain = the last decade)? I seem to remember him even cranking the hurricane warning siren. Then again, that may have been a game where Ayahuasca was part of the tailgate.

I KNEW my brain still had a modicum of functionality remaining! This was from 2012:
Screenshot_20211126-194611_Facebook.jpg

Advertisement
He's gotten alot better in about the last ten years thankfully. Last 5 especially. He used to pound scotch and whiskey to the tune of **** near a bottle a day. Now he just sips on a neat. I'm proud of him for how he's come out of the last few years of life.
Glad to hear. Thank you.

Advertisement
Yes, Ted is in that small group of maybe 12-15 Canes. Judged by what they achieved at The U and later in the NFL. Not comparing them to players from other schools, that’s not the point, it’s all about The U.

Ted Hendricks
Mike Irvin
Ray Lewis
Jim Kelly
Ed Reed
Warren Sapp
Edge James
Ottis Anderson
Dan Morgan
Reggie Wayne

And I’d add Jerome Browne and Sean Taylor, tragically taken from us before they realized their full NFL HOF careers.

Advertisement
Back