OT: Ted Hendricks

Advertisement
Just thought I’d post this as a brief moment away from all the coaching and AD noise. Does anyone know if Ted keeps up with the program?

I think he does. I’ve always really liked him, especially since he was really nice to someone that’s close to me one time.

Advertisement
He was at a Canes Pep Rally in Century City (LA) in 2001, for the NC Rose Bowl. Didn’t say much, but waved to the crowd when he was introduced. Given he played and finished his career in Oakland/Los Angeles I assume he still lives on the West Coast.

Top 3,5 Cane All-Time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think he does. I’ve always really liked him, especially since he was really nice to someone that’s close to me one time.
One of craziest / fun conversations I ever had was with Ted and Hacksaw Jim Duggan NWA HOF wrestler.

Those two are CLASSIC gentlemen with a wit of standup comics , I was Blessed to have listened and just laughed.

GOCANES

In the mid 1980s a year or so after he retired, I was running a yacht for the owner of the Detroit Tigers and Dominos Pizza and they had some promotion at the Roostertail on the Detroit waterfront where we docked during the summers. I think Ted was doing some promotions for a beer company but I got to meet him and chat with him for a few minutes - fun guy, laughing telling stories and had the people around him rolling. That's the last I heard of him, then came across this great article recently, from 1990.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19900715&slug=1082205

Advertisement
Does anyone know if Ted keeps up with the program?

Absolutely. He's been active with UM, Athletics, and his fraternity for decades. I've known him for over 30 years, the first time I met him at our annual formal, he introduced himself to me, and I'm thinking "I know who Ted Hendricks is, does he honestly think I don't recognize him?" Then, in my 19 year old stupidity, I proceeded to tell him that I had his Baltimore Colts trading card. He laughed, but I also know he appreciates it when UM fans remember the guys who played before we got good in the 80s.

In the mid 1980s a year or so after he retired, I was running a yacht for the owner of the Detroit Tigers and Dominos Pizza and they had some promotion at the Roostertail on the Detroit waterfront where we docked during the summers. I think Ted was doing some promotions for a beer company but I got to meet him and chat with him for a few minutes - fun guy, laughing telling stories and had the people around him rolling. That's the last I heard of him, then came across this great article recently, from 1990.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19900715&slug=1082205
He still with us, so hopefully he’s sober and in recovery from his alcoholism.

Absolutely. He's been active with UM, Athletics, and his fraternity for decades. I've known him for over 30 years, the first time I met him at our annual formal, he introduced himself to me, and I'm thinking "I know who Ted Hendricks is, does he honestly think I don't recognize him?" Then, in my 19 year old stupidity, I proceeded to tell him that I had his Baltimore Colts trading card. He laughed, but I also know he appreciates it when UM fans remember the guys who played before we got good in the 80s.
His final season with the Raiders was their 1983 SB season, the year of the Canes first NC. But you know that….

Advertisement
Back