OT: Tailgating BBQ

My GF is a Sushi Junkie....I happen to deplore it...Lol....GF and her friends go on a monthly jaunt for Sushi...CaneinOrlando stays home...or goes to Anthony's in Thornton Park for a Stromboli....

lol anthonys is good. i didnt realize they delivered until i moved out of my place there so i kept ordering from the anthonys take out one. mistakes were made

Advertisement
No doubt French Laundry, Per Se top shelf but Jose trained under the Maestro...and btw, spacing on names, but chefs at Alinea and Eleven Madison Park might be worthy of your vote too

FL in the bay area? i heard it's great. a kid i went to uM with is now a cook/chef? idk at 11 mad park. ive heard mixed things, but obviously the rep is divine

No doubt French Laundry, Per Se top shelf but Jose trained under the Maestro...and btw, spacing on names, but chefs at Alinea and Eleven Madison Park might be worthy of your vote too
Oh Absolutely.....Dont get me wrong...theres a plethora of Fantastic chefs...but Keller is the proverbial cream of the crop.....In the late 80s I worked side by side with Tim Creehan at Marina Cafe in Destin fl....All BS aside...i'd put him up against ANY chef that ever chefed in Fl....his fusion of Louisiana Creole and Pacific Rim/Caribbean was Mind Boggling....In 1989 and 90 he absolutely Smoked the top chefs in Fl during the yearly Governors Cup challenge....Tim was a Bad man....

Oh Absolutely.....Dont get me wrong...theres a plethora of Fantastic chefs...but Keller is the proverbial cream of the crop.....In the late 80s I worked side by side with Tim Creehan at Marina Cafe in Destin fl....All BS aside...i'd put him up against ANY chef that ever chefed in Fl....his fusion of Louisiana Creole and Pacific Rim/Caribbean was Mind Boggling....In 1989 and 90 he absolutely Smoked the top chefs in Fl during the yearly Governors Cup challenge....Tim was a Bad man....
What do you think of Norman ? His place there is suppose to be lights out

Advertisement
From 88-92 Marina Cafe was Top 10 in state....Unbelievable Food....just down the road on Hwy 98 was Flamingo Cafe...who's Exec Chef Angelo Mango was a close friend of mine....after work i'd meet up with him and other noteworthy Chefs at A.Js for some drinks....Angelo was another Wiz with food...

Advertisement
From 88-92 Marina Cafe was Top 10 in state....Unbelievable Food....just down the road on Hwy 98 was Flamingo Cafe...who's Exec Chef Angelo Mango was a close friend of mine....after work i'd meet up with him and other noteworthy Chefs at A.Js for some drinks....Angelo was another Wiz with food...
Santa Rosa one of my retirement spots..

Advertisement
Norman van Aiken, one of original "mango gang". Fusion KingPin. Your boy Creehan rings a bell...
Creehan learnt from Jim Altamura (Owner of Marina Cafe) Tim was a prep cook in Louisiana at a rest that Jim was Exec chef at....Jim took Tim under his wing and BAM...
As far as Van Aiken...I met him in the Keys 15yrs ago...

Got a new Pit Barrel Cooker i'm thinking about bringing to tailgate this year. Unfortunately the gates open so close to game time its hard to really smoke some meats other than chicken. Might be able to get some ribs done in the 5 hours before game time but cutting it close.

Thinking about getting a pizza oven connection to the Weber 22" so I know i can have something ready in time.

What's your BBQ setup for tailgates come fall?

I take no chances...I usually buy mine ....already cooked by an expert BBQer that I like to bring

Nothing worse than having bad food at a good game

Advertisement
That's how it's done for any BBQ. Do your prep and long cooking the night before. Then you can just warm things up on the grill and chill.

When throwing a party or serving up a lot of people, you've got to "trick'em " Otherwise, all your good meats will be gone in an hour. You put out the burgers and dogs first. After everyone's had a little something, then you bring out the smoked meats. And don't bring it all out at once. You've got to make it look like you don't have a lot of smoke meats. Bring it out piece meal. Otherwise, some people are going to load up on the goodies and leave none of the good stuff for late arriving guests.

Trust me. I've learned from experience. I know how to deal with a bunch of chow hounds!!!

100% correct. Whenever I have a party at my house, my ribs are in high demand and they go fast. Sometimes before I even have a chance to grab some for myself. I've learned when to serve certain items and I never serve everything at one time. The good stuff doesn't come out until I'm 100% done cooking and can grab a plate myself.

@caneinorlando what’s a nice place to take a chick to eat at? Within the first few dates so I’m not look for a 5* restaurant. Something with good food and a good “date night” type of atmosphere.

Also how is 9 spices hot pot. A co worker keeps recommending that place.

@caneinorlando what’s a nice place to take a chick to eat at? Within the first few dates so I’m not look for a 5* restaurant. Something with good food and a good “date night” type of atmosphere.

Also how is 9 spices hot pot. A co worker keeps recommending that place.
Ravenous Pig is fantastic....El Pescatore on Bumby is my go to for Italian....Nothing fancy...Good food at excellent prices with huge portions....

Advertisement
Back