OT - Switching from dish/cable to streaming

BWCD

Junior
OK - I'm trying to look at the cost/benefit of switching from my current services with Dish over to streaming services. My wife and I end up using Netflix/Hulu/Amazon or one of the Premium channel streaming (HBO/Showtime/Starz) way more often than we do actually watching stuff on Dish. I have a Samsung Smart TV with a ton of apps built in for streaming. EDIT - I also have a PS4 Pro, so Playstation Vue could be an option. Any feedback on that is welcome.

What I'm worried about is the streaming options for sports come the Fall in particular with football season coming up. So, I'm looking to see who all has had experience with it and what the pros/cons are.

Has anyone on here done this? What kind of streaming services are you using for sports? How is the game selection? How is the cost?

Last edited:
Advertisement
This past season I used Hulu Live TV (it was being beta tested). $45 per month (month to month contract cancel at any time). I watched every single Miami game without an issue.

Hulu Live TV Beta also has DVR capability.

After the season I cancelled the subscription and will be renewing it at the start of the new season.

YouTube TV is my vice. I got in before the increased the price $5 but I pay $40 with tax. If you are a sports fan I think it’s the best option. All ESPNs (except ACC Network which you supplement with CW which is in the package), FS1 and FS2, Sun Sports, Big Ten (FOH), etc. to make things better if you are using a device, in your case a smart tv, if you know someone in the Miami area they can set up an account (you get 6 to share) with all Miami local channels to ensure not to miss Hurricanes football.

BTW I cut the cord completely as well.

Thanks for the responses. I think this is going to be feasible with either service.

I've heard the good stuff about these and I thank you all for that - have you run into any shortcomings so far?

Advertisement
I had hulu tv. Will renew come kickoff. Make sure your internet speed is fast enough and you're good.
Really like the way they bring up all the college games. On Saturday it's all college football in your face.
The only knock is you miss some pregame talk. If the game is scheduled for 8:00 but the station changed early to give a pregame info at 7:58 you will miss it. Programs are only available at the exact time they are scheduled.

I feel if you already have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime you are probably going to save a lot by cutting it. For my situation I was looking at the option of getting something like Hulu and whatever else to get to watch what I want (Walking Dead, UM games, NFL games). I already have Prime. To be honest I have not had time for Walking Dead and I think it is coming to an end soon so my decision might be a lot easier.

Youtube TV works pretty well - glad to get rid of the cable bill and the 200 channels I never watched.

Advertisement
Thanks for the responses. I think this is going to be feasible with either service.

I've heard the good stuff about these and I thank you all for that - have you run into any shortcomings so far?
I’m waiting for the shoe bowl or finals to see how coverage holds up for Youtube TV. That is the only bad thing about streaming in general when the content is in high demand regardless of how fast your internet speed is you get spotty playback.

But with getting 6 accounts for $40 bucks you can’t go wrong with that.

I had sling before but I canceled because of the lack of sports content and no local channels. Now they do have more on the entertainment side so I miss out on HGTV but it’s easy to find shows on demand.

I’d saw just do all of them and cancel before the trial is up and see what you like.

How much is it for local cable down here? I pay 125$ for cable and internet bundle but have thought about cutting the cord if I can get cheap reliable internet.

Advertisement
OT but is TWD worth watching again? I stopped two seasons ago because it became repetitive and boring.

Not sure. It has always been a chore for me to watch it as I can't see it on the first run. This past season I did not put in the extra effort for it. Same with Fear The Walking Dead. Though I think Fear was keeping people I didn't like and offing the ones I did. At least for the most part.

YouTube TV, can be used with multiple accounts at a time. $36 a month, but we split it among 3 people so $12 a month. Unlimited DVR.

Advertisement
YouTube TV, can be used with multiple accounts at a time. $36 a month, but we split it among 3 people so $12 a month. Unlimited DVR.

I use directtvnow and if you happen to have att wireless you can get get a discount possibly. I pay 21.37 for the service with tax. But I end up using the watch espn app more than the actual direct tv app.

I've had this debate in some other threads and it really does seem to come down to some slight personal preferences and how much stand-alone internet will cost you if you're currently bundling it.

My other main issue is the loss of significant DVR capabilities. Anyone know the current availability of DVR services across the streaming platforms? I know DirecTV keeps teasing it but it seems to be very minimal or even non-existent right now on their streaming option.

I've had this debate in some other threads and it really does seem to come down to some slight personal preferences and how much stand-alone internet will cost you if you're currently bundling it.

My other main issue is the loss of significant DVR capabilities. Anyone know the current availability of DVR services across the streaming platforms? I know DirecTV keeps teasing it but it seems to be very minimal or even non-existent right now on their streaming option.

Tad what stations do you mainly want for DVR? I honestly found just having the ROKU and then downloading that stations app gives me the episodes of the shows I watch. I rarely watch Live TV unless its sports because with little kids they monopolize.

Advertisement
Back