OT - Switching from dish/cable to streaming

Advertisement
The issue with me is still DVR.

After I go to the games I like to watch the next day on the DVR. Can you record yet with any of the streaming services?

Advertisement
How does it work - I mean is it available indefinitely? Is there’s limit, like a storage limit or something?
No storage limit. It looks like 9 months is the duration limit. The only issue I’ve found - once - is that because sporting events don’t always start on time and can run way long the recording could get truncated. I think it was a soccer match that went to PKs though so WGAF, right 😬? They seem to be actively acquiring content and improving the service so I expect things like that to be fixed.
I stream to my TV using Chromecast and can take my dongle on the road when traveling.
They probably still have the free one-month trial - check it out.

Tad what stations do you mainly want for DVR? I honestly found just having the ROKU and then downloading that stations app gives me the episodes of the shows I watch. I rarely watch Live TV unless its sports because with little kids they monopolize.

That's always kinda been my issue. I watch a TON of daily political programming on the various news channels that I skim through via the DVR. Then on top of that I bundle internet service and have always been able to con free Sunday Ticket from DirecTV. And then the TV series that I do watch seemed to require subscriptions to multiple platforms (prior to DirecTV Now).

I'm probably still conflating some of you cord cutters with the first wave of people that did it and went solely to Netflix and a digital antenna- which absolutely was not an apples to apples type of situation to having satellite or cable service but somehow became a component to their self-worth. The current streaming services have apparently closed the gap on the live sports access- which was always a major annoyance with the early cord cutters.

Advertisement
That's always kinda been my issue. I watch a TON of daily political programming on the various news channels that I skim through via the DVR. Then on top of that I bundle internet service and have always been able to con free Sunday Ticket from DirecTV. And then the TV series that I do watch seemed to require subscriptions to multiple platforms (prior to DirecTV Now).

I'm probably still conflating some of you cord cutters with the first wave of people that did it and went solely to Netflix and a digital antenna- which absolutely was not an apples to apples type of situation to having satellite or cable service but somehow became a component to their self-worth. The current streaming services have apparently closed the gap on the live sports access- which was always a major annoyance with the early cord cutters.

YouTube TV is the hit. Minus NFL network. I’m not a big NFL fan but I will be able to catch the Phins since I live in Orlando so that wasn’t a downside for me.

Advertisement
I've had this debate in some other threads and it really does seem to come down to some slight personal preferences and how much stand-alone internet will cost you if you're currently bundling it.

My other main issue is the loss of significant DVR capabilities. Anyone know the current availability of DVR services across the streaming platforms? I know DirecTV keeps teasing it but it seems to be very minimal or even non-existent right now on their streaming option.

Youtube tv has unlimited DVR

I’m on directtv now and only pay about $22 per month, because I have ATT. It also has DVR

Cutting the cord is one of the best decisions I’ve made in years. I’ll never go back to cable

ATT got the wife on the phone and offered a $400 visa gift card. Needless to say she thought, “cool, shopping trip” so we now have ATT fiber optic cable and internet. I got them up to $500, and price for both down too $90 a month with 100 bps and 200 channels and free instal. Be careful, they tend to forget what they said later. Write everything down and get names. Instal took several hours but so far so good.

Advertisement
OK - I'm trying to look at the cost/benefit of switching from my current services with Dish over to streaming services. My wife and I end up using Netflix/Hulu/Amazon or one of the Premium channel streaming (HBO/Showtime/Starz) way more often than we do actually watching stuff on Dish. I have a Samsung Smart TV with a ton of apps built in for streaming. EDIT - I also have a PS4 Pro, so Playstation Vue could be an option. Any feedback on that is welcome.

What I'm worried about is the streaming options for sports come the Fall in particular with football season coming up. So, I'm looking to see who all has had experience with it and what the pros/cons are.

Has anyone on here done this? What kind of streaming services are you using for sports? How is the game selection? How is the cost?
look into terrarium. Free. Then firstrowsports for anything sports related

AppleTV with the ESPN app (using a family members tv login info) is the best setup for me by far. I’ve used pretty much everything too. YoutubeTV has most sports content if you don’t have the hookup.

SIDE NOTE: For Fins games download the CBS All Access app on the AppleTV too, it’s like $6 a month and you get all the Dolphins games. It’s cones out to like $30 for the entire season! lol

I recently got 100 more channels for 100 less dollars by switching to Directtv/att&t. All the sports channels and the channels that play the hit 90's and early 2000 tv shows. I pay 90 bucks which is a great price compared to what I paid for years with Xfinity. I'm happy with it.

No chance I'm gonna open 5 different accounts to watch what I want. I imagine there are not much savings when you buy unbundled internet and a bunch of different streaming services.

Advertisement
Back