OT - Ryan Newman Survives NASCAR crash (edited)

Advertisement
When the other car smashed into him, at about 190, while he was upside down, sliding on his roof, I thought he was gone. 15-20 years ago, he probably don’t survive this crash. All those safety requirements put in play and mandated by NASCAR after DE, SR’s (3) death, saved Newman’s life.

I thought he was gone when I watched it last night. Especially after realizing that Lajoie hit him square in the driver door while he’s sliding upside down. I agree that this should be a sign that it’s time to walk away and enjoy his life while he can. 19 years ago today we lost Earnhart. His son learned, hopefully Ryan will too. Kudos to NASCAR and their safety folks.

The part that was concerning was when it just kept sliding on the driver's side. Without all the safety gear, his head would've been sliding along the pavement.

Insane crash. Speedy recovery
download (5).jpg

Advertisement
So I guess they weren't doing CPR on him when he was extracted and was being moved to the ambulance? Pretty reckless thing for that broadcaster to have assumed.

So I guess they weren't doing CPR on him when he was extracted and was being moved to the ambulance? Pretty reckless thing for that broadcaster to have assumed.

My ticket was in the Pit Road Patios. Brutal wreck. Newman got hit in the driver's side door and his car was resting on the roof escape hatch. There was literally no fast way to get him out of the car, so he was in there for quite some time with smoke, burning fuel, and (eventually) fire extinguisher chemicals. Hard to breathe in all of that if the air hose is damaged/tangled/no longer working.

I completely understood the CPR and I don't have a problem with the broadcaster commentary.

I am only bothered by the original poster, and his belief that he is hilarious and should have started this thread the way that he did.

So I don’t wanna switch subjects, as I’m actually a black guy who loves both NASCAR & Indy (worked a couple of sponsorship events there and it was great.........including some of the daisy dukes wearing Dixie chicks around), but we always relate CTE w Football; but these guys are experiencing g-force trauma to their head. These guys are literally risking their lives and health each lap, and I’m not sure why the CTE topic is not really talked about w NASCAR & Hockey athletes.

Advertisement
So I don’t wanna switch subjects, as I’m actually a black guy who loves both NASCAR & Indy (worked a couple of sponsorship events there and it was great.........including some of the daisy dukes wearing Dixie chicks around), but we always relate CTE w Football; but these guys are experiencing g-force trauma to their head. These guys are literally risking their lives and health each lap, and I’m not sure why the CTE topic is not really talked about w NASCAR & Hockey athletes.

Smaller pool of people (about 40 NASCAR drivers per year), but I've met plenty of older (retired) NASCAR drivers, and they just don't seem to have the same loss of mental capacity.

Not saying it doesn't exist at all, but there's not nearly the same level of evidence.

Hockey may be a bigger issue, though.

I was absolutely certain that he was killed in that crash. Especially when they got out the black screens and told the media to vacate the pit area. To me that was a confirmation of fatality. Fortunately I was wrong and made incorrect assumptions - all I can think is that his injuries were traumatic to the point they didn't want video or photo coverage getting posted all over the web.

Amazing, amazing that he survived that crash. That impact on the roof of the driver's side and then sliding a quarter mile on basically his helmet - yikes.

Denny Hamlin is a stupid f*ck for doing donuts in the grass while a guy is fighting for his life a couple hundred yards away. Seriously can't believe that happened. All of the excuses about not knowing are total bullsh*t.

And to @Rellyrell - you are right, they definitely have to start the CTE discussion in motorsports. Dale Jr's retirement and pledge for his brain to science should have started the conversation more fervently than it has. These guys are taking enormous hits to their body over and over again and I have to think there are undiagnosed concussions happening often. And drivers are just like ball players - they will do whatever it takes to get back out on that track to race.

I was absolutely certain that he was killed in that crash. Especially when they got out the black screens and told the media to vacate the pit area. To me that was a confirmation of fatality. Fortunately I was wrong and made incorrect assumptions - all I can think is that his injuries were traumatic to the point they didn't want video or photo coverage getting posted all over the web.

Amazing, amazing that he survived that crash. That impact on the roof of the driver's side and then sliding a quarter mile on basically his helmet - yikes.

Denny Hamlin is a stupid f*ck for doing donuts in the grass while a guy is fighting for his life a couple hundred yards away. Seriously can't believe that happened. All of the excuses about not knowing are total bullsh*t.

And to @Rellyrell - you are right, they definitely have to start the CTE discussion in motorsports. Dale Jr's retirement and pledge for his brain to science should have started the conversation more fervently than it has. These guys are taking enormous hits to their body over and over again and I have to think there are undiagnosed concussions happening often. And drivers are just like ball players - they will do whatever it takes to get back out on that track to race.

The TV producers are far enough removed from the rescue workers that I think it was just a question of discretion, the TV producers didn't want to take any chances.

But JGR should have radio'd to Hamlin to tell him NOT to celebrate. Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement
My ticket was in the Pit Road Patios. Brutal wreck. Newman got hit in the driver's side door and his car was resting on the roof escape hatch. There was literally no fast way to get him out of the car, so he was in there for quite some time with smoke, burning fuel, and (eventually) fire extinguisher chemicals. Hard to breathe in all of that if the air hose is damaged/tangled/no longer working.

I completely understood the CPR and I don't have a problem with the broadcaster commentary.

I am only bothered by the original poster, and his belief that he is hilarious and should have started this thread the way that he did.

I guess my first assumption was that if they were doing CPR on him that he was in cardiac arrest and/or already dead or about to be very shortly. The video I saw with the broadcaster's commentary wasn't clear and just looked like a bunch of commotion around Newman as they were trying to get him to the ambulance. It appeared to me like the broadcaster just guessed that they were giving the dude CPR.

But if you're saying you had a better view or that the video I saw wasn't the original quality (Twitter or Nascar somehow immediately scrubbed all of them) and they were giving him CPR because of possible breathing issues then I absolutely stand corrected and have no problem with the broadcaster describing what is being shown.

Nonetheless, we're all glad the dude survived and hopefully makes a full recovery. People were already posting pics of him and his young children when that might have been in doubt.

Ive never been a Hamlin fan; I think he’s a ****y prick that always bytches about something. Completely agree w u; that was callous and immature.

Definitely agree with you regarding the CTE for drivers. Race Car drivers are tough as nails. They are not going to talk about concussion issues, but DEJr should’ve caused an exploratory discussion.

Last edited:
I guess my first assumption was that if they were doing CPR on him that he was in cardiac arrest and/or already dead or about to be very shortly. The video I saw with the broadcaster's commentary wasn't clear and just looked like a bunch of commotion around Newman as they were trying to get him to the ambulance. It appeared to me like the broadcaster just guessed that they were giving the dude CPR.

But if you're saying you had a better view or that the video I saw wasn't the original quality (Twitter or Nascar somehow immediately scrubbed all of them) and they were giving him CPR because of possible breathing issues then I absolutely stand corrected and have no problem with the broadcaster describing what is being shown.

Nonetheless, we're all glad the dude survived and hopefully makes a full recovery. People were already posting pics of him and his young children when that might have been in doubt.

I took it slightly differently.

It would be VERY hard to know a person is in "cardiac arrest" if he is unconscious while wearing a helmet, firesuit, etc. and is strapped into the HANS device and breathing apparatus. They may have started CPR from the standpoint of an abundance of caution, but it was my understanding that he did not "need it" as far as re-starting his heart. Everything I have been told (and who completely knows at this point) is that he was knocked unconscious from the accident, but that there wasn't a heart-stoppage or anything like "near-death".

In any event, while there have been some bad wrecks in the past 19 years, I think this was probably the worst human/physical condition situation since Dale Earnhardt's crash, so they probably did everything they could (at least initially) to make sure Newman was responsive before moving him.

Advertisement

Can’t agree on the Hamlin sentiment. He couldn’t see the accident. His crew told him about the incident, but they couldn’t see it from pit road. He clearly came back to earth once he was in the grass and his crew ran to him and told him what was happening. I’ve driven on a track multiple times at >155mph, and the adrenaline when you come off is unparalleled. I can only imagine after winning the Daytona 500. Cut him some slack.

Can’t agree on the Hamlin sentiment. He couldn’t see the accident. His crew told him about the incident, but they couldn’t see it from pit road. He clearly came back to earth once he was in the grass and his crew ran to him and told him what was happening. I’ve driven on a track multiple times at >155mph, and the adrenaline when you come off is unparalleled. I can only imagine after winning the Daytona 500. Cut him some slack.

While I do see where you're coming from, and I too have experienced that thrill - it's awesome and like you said I can only imagine after winning such a huge event - we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. While I'm not a Hamlin fan, I don't hate the guy, but there are times where he just seems to lack awareness. For example - when Jr won the summer race at Daytona a couple years ago, I'm pretty sure he didn't celebrate like an a**hole as Austin Dillon hung upside down in his car after going into the catch fence...and he ended up walking away. Granted I don't remember fully but I feel like he was asking for updates on his radio until they got him out of the car and he was OK. Hamlin said he didn't have any radio contact.

Anyway...silly argument, I'm just glad Ryan Newman is still here for his family's sake.

Small world. I was seated at pit row patio Saturday thru Monday.
I thought the worst when I saw the wreck, glad he survived. Was a great race, minus Newman getting injured of course.

At racing speed, it takes about 45 seconds to go around the track. After winning, the victory lap is usually a lot slower. Plus, the winner is usually talking to the crew chief at that point.

I was down in the pits this weekend, all those pit boxes have multiple TVs. The entire crowd at Daytona went silent after the wreck. There's no way in **** that the Crew Chief or someone else can't simply convey what just happened to Hamlin as he takes his victory lap.

I understand him not seeing it. I have a bigger problem with him not asking about it or being concerned that his victory celebration might be taking place a few feet away from a (possibly) dead guy.

Advertisement
Back