OT - Ryan Newman Survives NASCAR crash (edited)

Blaney is a marked man. I know it’s the Daytona 500 but he straight up dumped him.

Advertisement
While I do see where you're coming from, and I too have experienced that thrill - it's awesome and like you said I can only imagine after winning such a huge event - we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. While I'm not a Hamlin fan, I don't hate the guy, but there are times where he just seems to lack awareness. For example - when Jr won the summer race at Daytona a couple years ago, I'm pretty sure he didn't celebrate like an a**hole as Austin Dillon hung upside down in his car after going into the catch fence...and he ended up walking away. Granted I don't remember fully but I feel like he was asking for updates on his radio until they got him out of the car and he was OK. Hamlin said he didn't have any radio contact.

Anyway...silly argument, I'm just glad Ryan Newman is still here for his family's sake.
Fair enough. Agreed.

Also the Richard Petty experience at Talladega is craziness. Can’t imagine doing 195+ in a rush hour pack of 40.

020CAA4A-17DE-4DF9-8F09-5D990AB9BB23.jpeg

Last edited:
Knowing several drivers in various series through the years, they really need to do away with all of the restrictor mods and let research and development separate winners from losers. This style of bunch racing makes people push and shove their way to placement, resulting in crashes like this one. Guy nearly got killed for what was essentially a second place finish. It's the main reason NASCAR has been on the decline.
You have to walk a line between parity and the same team winning all the time (Formula 1 where it's all money). Some of the style of racing is also from the type of car, you touch someone else's wheel in open wheel racing and your car gets launched.

Had a Pit Pass for Talladega in 97....Talked with Jeff Gordon about Scuba Diving (both are extreme Scuba junkies)...Good Guy...Very outgoing...

Fair enough. Agreed.

Also the Richard Petty experience at Talladega is craziness.

I would love to drive at Talladega. So far I've only driven at Dover (Rusty Wallace's racing experience thing)...and the cars were way too neutered for my liking. Hitting the rev limiter halfway down the straightaway.

Advertisement
So I don’t wanna switch subjects, as I’m actually a black guy who loves both NASCAR & Indy (worked a couple of sponsorship events there and it was great.........including some of the daisy dukes wearing Dixie chicks around), but we always relate CTE w Football; but these guys are experiencing g-force trauma to their head. These guys are literally risking their lives and health each lap, and I’m not sure why the CTE topic is not really talked about w NASCAR & Hockey athletes.

Black dude from Compton who loves NASCAR ? Are you the most interesting man in the world?

I tried to get into it years ago and I couldn’t , I know it’s more than cars going in constant circles, I just couldn’t get past watching cars going in constant circles. I just don’t get it.

Black dude from Compton who loves NASCAR ? Are you the most interesting man in the world?

I tried to get into it years ago and I couldn’t , I know it’s more than cars going in constant circles, I just couldn’t get past watching cars going in constant circles. I just don’t get it.

No judgement, just one question. Have you seen a race in-person, up close? I took a few people down to pit road this weekend, and it transformed their perspective. Doesn't mean they are experts, but they have a completely new appreciation that you can't get from watching on TV.

No judgement, just one question. Have you seen a race in-person, up close? I took a few people down to pit road this weekend, and it transformed their perspective. Doesn't mean they are experts, but they have a completely new appreciation that you can't get from watching on TV.

NASCAR fans always ask me this lol. The answer is no, never been. I’m not a gear head and into cars like that but I do respect their skills/talent. It’s just boring , same with soccer. Great athletes that’s really skilled , I’m just not interested.

I will watch the last ten laps if I come across a big race.

Advertisement
One of the worst wrecks I’ve seen in nascar. Edwards in talladega 09 (I think) and an old Wallace wreck were bad but we thought Newman was gone. Glad he’s survived and hope he recovers as I’d imagine his injuries are pretty severe. Crazy how far safety has come in racing since 2001.
I was in the infield for the first time ever to watch a race in Daytona the year Rusty Wallace had that horrific wreck. I just so happened to be camping along the back stretch leading into turns 3 and 4.
That accident took place almost right in front of us. That car seemed to flip over at least 10 times before it came to a halt. I thought for sure the driver in that car was a goner. But he survived. The crash that killed Earnhardt wasn't as bad as the one Newman was just in. But I think it's safe to say. Nascar got much safer after the Earnhardt accident. Most notably the Hans device.

Go Canes!!!!!!

NASCAR fans always ask me this lol. The answer is no, never been. I’m not a gear head and into cars like that but I do respect their skills/talent. It’s just boring , same with soccer. Great athletes that’s really skilled , I’m just not interested.

I will watch the last ten laps if I come across a big race.

You don't have to be a gearhead, but the proximity, the sounds, the power, the atmosphere...all fantastic.

Was thinking about this today and remembered Waltrips wreck at Bristol. Looking at that car and remembering how long ago this was I’m not sure how he got out and jogged away under his own power.

will try to link the video...

Advertisement
just watched the flick... they did not go into detail about that.. so that is how it happened? pretty sad

Yeah, dude was going 200mph+ down a straight away in a test car...the test car didn't have the aerodynamics right, car took flight, disintegrated, and he got tossed from the car.

His death probably saved many lives. They started putting the rollcages (the **** they were working on going into the next model Ford was to enter into the big races) into racecars and eventually consumer grade vehicles as a result.

The rollcage and new car design by Ford ended up saving Mario Andretti's life in a Le Mans a few years later.

Blaney is a marked man. I know it’s the Daytona 500 but he straight up dumped him.

Blaney did nothing wrong. The only thing wrong is NASCAR continuing to use restrictor plates when they could easily run the road course.

And yes I have been to Daytona seen everything race there from the SuperBikes to Supercross to all the NASCAR series. Been to Vegas, Texas and Dega to see them run also.

Me and a buddy are planning to go to homestead for our first race this year. We have never watched racing at all. I don't watch hockey on tv but love going to hockey games. I have a feeling it will be the same thing. Who knows, maybe ill join nascarinsight.com

Advertisement
Blaney did nothing wrong. The only thing wrong is NASCAR continuing to use restrictor plates when they could easily run the road course.

And yes I have been to Daytona seen everything race there from the SuperBikes to Supercross to all the NASCAR series. Been to Vegas, Texas and Dega to see them run also.

That wreck was not about "restrictor plates", so just stop that nonsense.

By that point, the race had already experienced multiple "big one" wrecks, there were very few competitive cars left on the track. The real problem is that they were ALL deep into their tires and they didn't have the same grip they had earlier in the cycle. It was just 3 cars racing for the finish line, which happens in EVERY race. And blocking. People also need to look at Hamlin's role in pushing Blaney up close to Newman just before the final swerve/collision.

Me and a buddy are planning to go to homestead for our first race this year. We have never watched racing at all. I don't watch hockey on tv but love going to hockey games. I have a feeling it will be the same thing. Who knows, maybe ill join nascarinsight.com

Figure out a way to get into the infield, possibly with pit access. It's just an amazing experience to see everything up close, which you simply cannot do in any other sport.

I was down in Austin Dillon's pit during the race, his wife Whitney is due to give birth in about 4 months (she's barely showing). It was tough to move around in the pits on Sunday, because the Secret Service blocked off the middle part for the motorcade to pass through, but once the race started it was much easier to get around.

The "holy grail" is a Hot Pass, it allows you to be in the Pits during the race. All other pit access is "Cold Pass", you have to leave 30 minutes before the race.

I know that Homestead has a pretty nice infield bar with a rooftop viewing area, not sure how much it costs.

Hope you have a great time!

Figure out a way to get into the infield, possibly with pit access. It's just an amazing experience to see everything up close, which you simply cannot do in any other sport.

I was down in Austin Dillon's pit during the race, his wife Whitney is due to give birth in about 4 months (she's barely showing). It was tough to move around in the pits on Sunday, because the Secret Service blocked off the middle part for the motorcade to pass through, but once the race started it was much easier to get around.

The "holy grail" is a Hot Pass, it allows you to be in the Pits during the race. All other pit access is "Cold Pass", you have to leave 30 minutes before the race.

I know that Homestead has a pretty nice infield bar with a rooftop viewing area, not sure how much it costs.

Hope you have a great time!
Thanks, Ill look into it.

Happy to hear he’s at least talking to his family. I don’t have an opinion about him hanging it up after this. I think people misunderstand guys that do things like this. There is no passion, quite like racing. Doesn’t matter if it’s on a drag strip, dirt track, or a super speedway. These guys know what’s at stake every time they strap in. Ultimately I think he comes back and races another couple years.

This stuff definitely shakes the drivers up but it’s part of the sport. Fortunately safety has come along way, just like medical science. 10 years ago Jr doesn’t retire bc of concussions like he did, and 10 years ago I don’t think Newman survives this wreck.

Advertisement
Back