OT: RIP the great Eddie Van Halen

Yep. And what bugs the crap out of me is that the younger generations don't seem to value, teach/learn, and enjoy musicians who play instruments live. Way too much "other songwriters" and "autotune" and "heavy production trickery".

Who actually plays rock guitar and is moderately popular? The Killers. Pearl Jam (30 years in, not getting any younger). Haim? Green Day (see, generally, Pearl Jam). Foo Fighters (same). G'n'R (if they ever release a new album). Weezer. U2 (see, generally, Pearl Jam, then add 10 years). Nine Inch Nails (when not doing soundtracks). DON'T SAY NICKELBACK. And all the classic bands are dying off.
The Black Keys?

Which brings up a bigger point. Music is formualic and bland now. The most interesting parts are ripped off or sampled from old stuff.

Advertisement

I always get David Lee Roth and the perv murderer/kidnapper from The Silence of the Lambs mixed up
2D1533F0-3D4A-4CE0-9119-F76E5FE17C1F.jpeg

88357038-2728-4D40-994C-AE21D639E869.gif

E38B264E-1B2E-4058-BCC0-9EDB69FD2D20.gif

1984 came out while I was in high school and while I was still trying to find my groove in music. All we had was the radio, mtv, and albums/cassettes. I was lucky to have an older sister who wasn't about the radio at all and fed me albums from Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and early Van Halen. I was really lucky to have her help me out, otherwise I might have gotten stuck with top 40 crap. 1984 is one of those quintessential albums that few bands can create. Every song is really, really good. The thing some people tend to miss on that album is there's so much more than just Jump, Panama, and Hot for Teacher. If you sleep on I'll Wait, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, and House of Pain you are missing out on really high end songs... even Girl Gone Bad deserves recognition. That album, front to back, is undefeatable.
Side note, for me there aren't many groups that you not only know the lyrics but also know the sound of Eddie's solos by heart. RIP Eddie, nobody plays like you anymore.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back