OT- RIP Hank Aaron

Advertisement
That's not in dispute. He is for me a top 5 all time player. But his lack of "greatest that come to mind" value is the result of that consistency.

Lots of people have one MVP award (which is what he has). What they don't have is 7 top-3s.

So basically ur saying Hank is the home run version or Tony Gwen, consistent slugger but nothing that wow’d.

I didn’t have a chance to watch him, only his highlights, and his highlights always featured the ball going out of the park. I still feel if he wasn’t a different nationality, he would be celebrated more. Jmo.

So basically ur saying Hank is the home run version or Tony Gwen, consistent slugger but nothing that wow’d.

I didn’t have a chance to watch him, only his highlights, and his highlights always featured the ball going out of the park. I still feel if he wasn’t a different nationality, he would be celebrated more. Jmo.
Yeah. Even his homers didn't wow. Reggie Jackson's did, or Stargell's, etc. But they struck out a billion times. And hit very few doubles, and never walked, and were mediocre defensively.

Aaron made 21 all-star games (all but his first and last seasons). He was excellent forever. I have him

1. Ruth
2. Mays
3. Williams
4. Aaron
5. Mantle/Musial

Yeah. Even his homers didn't wow. Reggie Jackson's did, or Stargell's, etc. But they struck out a billion times. And hit very few doubles, and never walked, and were mediocre defensively.

Aaron made 21 all-star games (all but his first and last seasons). He was excellent forever. I have him

1. Ruth
2. Mays
3. Williams
4. Aaron
5. Mantle/Musial

C’mon bro; lol. U gotta pick one between Stan & Micky. Lol.

Advertisement
Mantle. I didn’t watch Mantle play, but I know plenty MLB scouts. All will tell you Mantle and Griffey Jr are the most talented players to step on the field, Mike Trout is closing in

I Loved Aaron...but im a HUGE Bonds fan....about 15yrs ago, Gammons had a conversation with Maddox, Glavine & Smoltz, and during the convo he asked them who was the best they ever faced, and without hesitation all said Bonds, immediately the steroid factor came up...and all 3 scoffed at it...All of them agreed that steroids do not help Hand, Eye coordination...and keep in mind, Bonds was hitting balls into the Upper deck of 3 Rivers, way before the Steroid stories came up...
Unfortunately the steroid stuff will haunt Bonds forever...But he Won 2 MVPs before that stuff....
3 mvps before it. And should have been 4.

he’s easily the goat.

47 was huge for the time. Other factors already discussed. Saw an article on Marino and they said his 5,000 yard season would be the equivalent to 7500 yards/season in today's game.

Too many variables just have to enjoy what they do at the time they are playing.
This is valid. Homer totals were lower in ‘60s-‘70s.

Advertisement
A very close relative of mine went to high school with his two sons, Henry and Larry, and knew him as well.

Had a lot of great stories about them. All good.

Hank Aaron was a super classy guy. And had to put up with a lot in his career as he was approaching surpassing Babe Ruth’s record.

I Loved Aaron...but im a HUGE Bonds fan....about 15yrs ago, Gammons had a conversation with Maddox, Glavine & Smoltz, and during the convo he asked them who was the best they ever faced, and without hesitation all said Bonds, immediately the steroid factor came up...and all 3 scoffed at it...All of them agreed that steroids do not help Hand, Eye coordination...and keep in mind, Bonds was hitting balls into the Upper deck of 3 Rivers, way before the Steroid stories came up...
Unfortunately the steroid stuff will haunt Bonds forever...But he Won 2 MVPs before that stuff....
Bonds is the best player i ever watched and as a Pirates fan I loved him. From day 1 playing centerfield, batting lead off, to the next year with Bonilla and then moving to left when Van Slyke was added. No question in my mind that Bonds is one of the 5-10 best ever, without steroids.
But I don’t think he is the home run champ without steroids.

Bonds is the best player i ever watched and as a Pirates fan I loved him. From day 1 playing centerfield, batting lead off, to the next year with Bonilla and then moving to left when Van Slyke was added. No question in my mind that Bonds is one of the 5-10 best ever, without steroids.
But I don’t think he is the home run champ without steroids.

Bonds wouldn't have gotten there without the roids, he would have finished his career with 500+ HRs had he stayed on the straight and narrow. Easily one of the best of his generation, WITHOUT ROIDS. Barry's ego brought him down, because he saw mediocre guys like McGwire and Sosa get all the love, he was significantly better than both of them. Instead of just letting it go, he got on roids too. He should have thought more like Griffey Jr., who let things take their natural course.

Advertisement
Guy was as much pure class as he was a home run hitter.A lot ( well most ) of these guys today that put on all this show off sHT when they hit a double need to go look and see how this man handled himself....guy was all CLASS...RIP HANK

1. Ruth
2. Mays
3. Williams
4. Aaron
5. Mantle/Musial
Mantle at #5....Never....Did what he did playing at 70% his entire career is insanity....Absolutely OWNED the World Series....

Advertisement
Bonds needs more credit. He was juiced, but how many jacks did he hit off pitchers that were on the “ Cream” as well?
Plenty. Roids went both ways, pitchers and hitters.
And I don’t believe for a second that the game is now “clean”. its just shifted to something much harder to catch like HGH which is basically undetectable unless you measure a person’s testosterone level before they start taking HGH and can than note the difference. But since no sport tests testosterone levels as a matter of course, this is undetectable unless you buy it from a lab that gets raided by the FBI and the owner keeps a calendar of exactly when patients (by name) are coming in for the HGH injections.

The goat is the guy who hit more home runs than the average homes runs PER TEAM that year - and that is Ruth.

The Dimaggio stat of more HRs than Ks is crazy though.
you can measure it your way I guess. The purpose of the game isn’t home runs in isolation. Ruth was amazing and clearly No. 2 all time. He didn’t play against the athletes bonds did. Not integrated, etc. And that aside, on the pure statistics, bonds had the best seasin ever and prolly 2 of the top 3.

Advertisement
Back