OT- RIP Hank Aaron

Advertisement
We'll miss you Hank as a player and person. Especially missed in Atlanta where he has had an influential voice for many years.

One question though to stir the pot-
All time home runs leader; Aaron or Bonds? I know what the numbers are but what do you think?

True icon. Dude still don’t get the love he deserves. He’s the least talked about Baseball icon & it’s not even close. Ppl talk Barry before this guy. Smh.

We'll miss you Hank as a player and person. Especially missed in Atlanta where he has had an influential voice for many years.

All time home runs leader; Aaron or Bonds? I know what the numbers are but what do you think?
Hammer.

I Loved Aaron...but im a HUGE Bonds fan....about 15yrs ago, Gammons had a conversation with Maddox, Glavine & Smoltz, and during the convo he asked them who was the best they ever faced, and without hesitation all said Bonds, immediately the steroid factor came up...and all 3 scoffed at it...All of them agreed that steroids do not help Hand, Eye coordination...and keep in mind, Bonds was hitting balls into the Upper deck of 3 Rivers, way before the Steroid stories came up...
Unfortunately the steroid stuff will haunt Bonds forever...But he Won 2 MVPs before that stuff....

Advertisement
True icon. Dude still don’t get the love he deserves. He’s the least talked about Baseball icon & it’s not even close. Ppl talk Barry before this guy. Smh.
Part is the lack of huge splash years.

He had career years every year, but not all-time years. Max number of homers was 47.

He had career years every year, but not all-time years. Max number of homers was 47.
47 was huge for the time. Other factors already discussed. Saw an article on Marino and they said his 5,000 yard season would be the equivalent to 7500 yards/season in today's game.

Too many variables just have to enjoy what they do at the time they are playing.

Advertisement
The most he ever hit in a single season was 45. Talk about consistently being **** good. It's not like he had a handful of roided up seasons to pad his stats. He just went out and hit around 40 a year for a long, long time.

I dunno bro;

We praise guys like Ty Cobb, Ripken, Rose, Gehrig as guys who model consistency. Hammerin Hank was the quintessential model of consistency.

I dunno bro;

We praise guys like Ty Cobb, Ripken, Rose, Gehrig as guys who model consistency. Hammerin Hank was the quintessential model of consistency.

That's not in dispute. He is for me a top 5 all time player. But his lack of "greatest that come to mind" value is the result of that consistency.

Lots of people have one MVP award (which is what he has). What they don't have is 7 top-3s.

Last edited:
Advertisement
@Rellyrell ...before moving to SW Fla in 74....Me & Moms lived in West Palm for 8 months...At that time the Braves trained there, and I lived (Executive Center Drive) walking distance to the stadium. After the Braves practices I'd go talk to Aaron...Ralph Garr...etc..all the time...couldnt have been nicer....Absolute class act...as were the others..

I Loved Aaron...but im a HUGE Bonds fan....about 15yrs ago, Gammons had a conversation with Maddox, Glavine & Smoltz, and during the convo he asked them who was the best they ever faced, and without hesitation all said Bonds, immediately the steroid factor came up...and all 3 scoffed at it...All of them agreed that steroids do not help Hand, Eye coordination...and keep in mind, Bonds was hitting balls into the Upper deck of 3 Rivers, way before the Steroid stories came up...
Unfortunately the steroid stuff will haunt Bonds forever...But he Won 2 MVPs before that stuff....
And was robbed of another one, too. No way Terry f'n Pendleton should have won it.

Advertisement
@Rellyrell ...before moving to SW Fla in 74....Me & Moms lived in West Palm for 8 months...At that time the Braves trained there, and I lived (Executive Center Drive) walking distance to the stadium. After the Braves practices I'd go talk to Aaron...Ralph Garr...etc..all the time...couldnt have been nicer....Absolute class act...as were the others..

My man, what a life.

Didn't Hank even say that he wasn't sure the guy who ran onto the field who ended up patting him on the back wasn't going to try and hurt him?
Yes. He said it in a book. He had gotten so much racist hate mail by that time, he had to be scared when he rounds 2nd and see these two white dudes running towards him. It’s amazing to me that he didn’t make a move to “square up”. He must’ve saw the smiles on their faces, as they approached him.

RIP Mr Aaron. Such an ambassador of the game and 755 homers. No PEDs, no HGH just HWD, hard work and determination. Second only to Josh Gibson.

Advertisement
Back