OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

We would either need to fly to NYC or Boston and fly from there or fly to Madrid/London/Paris and connect from there. Portugal looks incredible though, especially the Douro and areas just outside of Lisbon.

Yeah, buddy. Don't let a connection stop you. Or do a couple of days in Madrid on the way and take your time. No need to Panic. ;)

Advertisement
About to give this place a shot. Canes in Orlando highly recommend.

Attachments

• C5B8FEA0-0A08-4AE3-BA3A-7C00BB126D68.jpeg
    C5B8FEA0-0A08-4AE3-BA3A-7C00BB126D68.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
Tried to get to Farmhouse Inn on last trip but couldn’t get reservation. Have a work colleague who LOVES Anderson Valley.

It’s funny in the now 8 years I have been going to Napa Valley it has changed noticeably and that’s a short time frame.

I think in another 8 years we will see greater shift.

Next time take another shot at getting into Farmhouse Inn. I think you'd really enjoy it.

I know what you mean about Napa/Sonoma having changed. It's what sent us and our friends further north many years ago. Change is even moreso now.

In terms of Anderson Valley, it's WAY more casual than Napa/Sonoma. My personal favorite winery there is Lula. It's quintessential Anderson Valley. The winemaker lives in a small home right on the property and once you get to know him you can stay in his guest bedroom on future trips lol. I go back far enough it was just him, my wife and me sitting at his kitchen table drinking his wine. He's gotten busier now, but still a great guy who makes some terrific wines. Among the best in California although production is so limited not many people know about them. Great Pinots. The Anderson Valley is perpendicular to and opens into the Pacific Ocean so the cool moist air runs up the valley at night giving way to sunny afternoons after the marine layer burns off. So Pinots and Gewurztraminers are the main varietals and they thrive there.

Goldeneye is a great winery too. They have really nice grounds and do an outside lunch with wine tasting. Toulouse has the prettiest setting as it's located on a mountain ridge with fantastic views. Wines are solid, not great. It's a fun visit though because of the setting.

Saving the best for last is Black Kite. Not well know, again with limited production, but they make great pinots.

And if you have never been to Mendocino you're in for a treat. Terrific and unique old Victorian seaside town. You'll want to stay at the Mendocino Inn (small old Victorian era hotel) or one of the many B&B's throughout town. Mendocino is one of my family's favorite places in Cali. In fact my oldest Son chose to get married in Mendocino at an old farmhouse we had decorated for the wedding. Best meal in Mendocino is Cafe Beaujolais. And there are a number of other good spots.

Yeah, folks who enjoy NoCal Wine Country and have done it a number of times should give Mendocino and Anderson Valley a shot.

Advertisement
@24/7canes ....CaneinOrlando will NEVER steer you wrong foodwise...for the $$$...Its hard to beat...
Bro I see a person who I assume is the owner. I give him the look like hey I want to ask you something. He ask how's everything. I say are you the owner and he is. I tell him I was sent by another high end chef who highly recommended the place. He says who's that. Well I dont know your name so I go hes a huge cane fan and I was logged in on my phone so I show him your pic. He goes of course I know who he is hes a legend. He tells me to say **** to (your name) and tell him ill see him next week. So I think he is basically saying bring your *** up. lol . Food is amazing and like CIO says prices are very reasonable and portions are massive.

There were 3 of us and we all tried something different. We all agreed it was killer. Telling you right now the marinara sauce is dam near perfection.

Our waitress was a real tall skinny girl who was about as exciting as a 0-0 tie in a 19 inning baseball game. But when she got her 40% tip she was all smiles after that. We were last ones to leave so she had taken mask off because she was leaving and thats when we got her big smile. She was very odd but it was like very cool in a way.

We plan to start going on Sunday nights and invite more of our friends so we can do kind of family style night.

Bro I see a person who I assume is the owner. I give him the look like hey I want to ask you something. He ask how's everything. I say are you the owner and he is. I tell him I was sent by another high end chef who highly recommended the place. He says who's that. Well I dont know your name so I go hes a huge cane fan and I was logged in on my phone so I show him your pic. He goes of course I know who he is hes a legend. He tells me to say **** to (your name) and tell him ill see him next week. So I think he is basically saying bring your *** up. lol . Food is amazing and like CIO says prices are very reasonable and portions are massive.

There were 3 of us and we all tried something different. We all agreed it was killer. Telling you right now the marinara sauce is dam near perfection.

Our waitress was a real tall skinny girl who was about as exciting as a 0-0 tie in a 19 inning baseball game. But when she got her 40% tip she was all smiles after that. We were last ones to leave so she had taken mask off because she was leaving and thats when we got her big smile. She was very odd but it was like very cool in a way.

We plan to start going on Sunday nights and invite more of our friends so we can do kind of family style night.
Love Tony...was even closer to the Original Owner Stefano...

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’ve been there a handful of times. The atmosphere is very interesting and unique.

I’ve had better Italian food, but it’s pretty good.

There’s another cool looking restaurant just down the road. The treehouse looking one? I’ve wanted to try that.
Checked out the treehouse in New Smyrna right next to the garlic. Better food and drinks IMO. Cool atmosphere as well

Advertisement
@CIO-
Any recommendations in the Lake Mary area. I'm stuck there this weekend.

What are you looking for, cuisine-wise?

In no particular order, just thinking of places off the top of my head:

---Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe - German restaurant in downtown Sanford (next town over from Lake Mary), has historically won "best German restaurant in Orlando" for decades. They just added a new biergarten on the roof. I love this place, food is great, people are great.

---FishBones (not, Not, NOT "Bonefish Grill"), seafood place in the Heathrow area, another long-time establishment, I've sent people there on many occasions.

---Ruth's Chris/Shulas 347 (both are near FishBones). There's also a place called Stonewood Grill & Tavern, it's a local chain (based in Ormond Beach), I've always enjoyed this steakhouse. Same company also owns Peach Valley Cafe, a breakfast place. Both have locations off of Lake Mary Blvd.

---F&D Kitchen & Bar - this is a really nice gastropub, also near FishBones/Ruth's Chris/Shulas 347. The same group has opened a couple of F&D Woodfired Italian Kitchens, one is in Longwood (next town over from Lake Mary in the other direction from Lake Mary).

---Santiago's Bodega - I have not been to the Longwood location, as I usually go downtown, but this place is one of my favorites (third location is in Key West). It's a tapas restaurant during the week, but they have an amazing Saturday/Sunday brunch, it's $45, but they give you so much food and so much variety.

---I know some will huff and puff, but I've been a big fan of 4Rivers Smokehouse since Day 1. Also in Longwood.

---If you go to Orange County Brewers in Lake Mary (yes, it's Seminole County), this particular location has a Tin & Taco pop-up located inside. I've been going to the downtown T&T locations for years, happy to get one in Lake Mary now.

---Not really a restaurant, but hit up Andy's Frozen Custard on St. Johns Parkway in Sanford. Place is usually packed, but they move fast and one of the dudes who works there will appreciate it if you wear UM gear, his girlfriend goes to UM.

---If you need doughnuts, go to Donuts To Go on State Road 46 in Sanford. There is also a great bakery/gourmet marshmallow place called Wondermade a few blocks away, closer to downtown Sanford.

--- @caneinorlando and I have already spoken of our love for Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken on 17-92 in Sanford. Not the best neighborhood, but my favorite fried chicken place in all of Orlando.

Let me know if you need any other types of places. Happy to help.

That was awesome. Thank you. I will be for sure hitting Lee's Famous and want to get to either Hollerbach's or Orange County Brewers. Thanks again.

Advertisement
Back