OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Thanks TOC. I'm also going to try to find some good fish and chip places that aren't too touristy. Going to try and hit a bunch of pubs too.

Yeah, I think when I was watching an Anthony Bourdain show, they talked about how there were these "black box" type fish & chips places where the taxi drivers could just drive up, grab the food, and drive away eating it.

Here's where Anthony went to eat in London in 2016:

Advertisement
Also visited Asador Etxebari a couple years ago. It's certainly up there, although so many great restaurants, vintages, styles, etc to have one "best" choice. A couple of photos here. And for those who aren't familiar: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/etxebarri-spain

Beyond that, so much has changed over the years in terms of what defines "great" cooking. I'm older and started eating well in the very early '80's. Back then it was classic style: Soltner's Lutece and La Bernadin, or New American: Inn at Little Washington and French Laundry, here in the as my "best" choices in the U.S. In Europe back then it was France, period. I preferred the cooking of the Burgundy region, and therefore would say Lameloise in Chagny, etc. moreso than the great rooms in Paris in the 80s/90s.

Fast forward to today, my taste has simplified substantially and so has my definition of great cooking. I admire classic style cooking, but am done with it personally. Hence a favorite such as Asador Etxebari in Europe where cooking simply consists of a variety of different woods and fire along with the very best regional food stock.

Here in the U.S. today, while French Laundry is always mentioned as the epitome of NoCal cooking, in all honesty it hasn't changed much since I first visited in the early '80s. IMO Manresa is where the best and most innovative cooking is being done in NoCal right now. in SF imo it's Benu, although Spruce would be my number two.

I've also noticed discussion about Napa and Sonoma. I lived in the Bay Area from 2000-2016 and spent a lot time in all of NoCal's wine regions. Napa makes sense if you coming in from out of town for vacation as that's where most things are located. But would also recommend getting over to the Farmhouse Inn in Forestville (west Sonoma County on the other side of the 101). And while the drive from the Bay Area is a little longer, we actually started spending more time up in the Anderson Valley. A lot of the original Napa and Sonoma growers who sold out years ago end up re-locating there. We'd base out of Mendocino (a treasure of a town) and spend the days sampling and visiting the produce/farmers and wineries/growers in the Anderson valley to the east. It's a very different vibe than Napa/Sonoma, which I personally prefer.

Great thread!
Manresa is on my list but I don't make out to CA as much as used to.

Yeah, I think when I was watching an Anthony Bourdain show, they talked about how there were these "black box" type fish & chips places where the taxi drivers could just drive up, grab the food, and drive away eating it.

Here's where Anthony went to eat in London in 2016:

I've seen this episode. Wish that guy was still around.

Forgot to add in San Sebastián our splurge meal was Arzak which at time I think had two years in a row between top 10 / top 25 on the San Pelligrino world’s best list...well will just say I didn’t agree. Service was actually worst part which in those places was a HUGE surprise. Wish I had gone to Asador instead. But **** still remember the pinxtos in the Old Town.
I agree on Arzak. It wasn't bad but can't really remember anything I ate; food wasn't memorable. Lunch at Akelarre was much better. One place I didn't have time to try was Elkano. I've only heard good things about their grilled turbot.

Advertisement
The Osso Bucco is fantastic. They do a great job with both The Garlic and Norwoods! In my opinion, best all around food in the Daytona, Flagler, St. Augustine area.

Another good Italian option that flys under the radar is Osteria Rustica in Bunnell. Pricey, but very intimate, table side experience with about 10 tables.

Other Daytona/Flagler/St Augustine-
Without the obvious (mine), I have become quite fond of our restaurant scene here.
*Ronin Daytona has best sushi in area.
*Harry’s has very good creole/seafood in downtown St.Augustine.

In South Florida-
*Canyon’s probably wins it for me. Roasted Rack of Lamb and legendary prickly pear margaritas.
*Breakfast we have to throw in Lesters or the Floridian. Many a night spent at Floridian!
*Of course, everyone knows La Spadas have best subs...period.
*Whales Rib in Deerfield Beach, Rock Shrimp and the Mahi are definitely trip worthy.

In the keys-
*Pierres and Morada Bar are the restaurants that changed my life. Incredible, picturesque atmosphere with great Full Moon parties and the vibe of upper keys.
*On a more casual budget, the subs at Marathon liquor and deli are surprisingly fantastic. Consistent and huge, plus you can load up with liquor for the boat in same trip
*MM 88 in Islamorada has an onion encrusted mahi you will want to try

Orlando-
* Call me old school, but I will take a Fuddruckers burger over any other restaurants “specialty” burgers and blends (and I’ve tried very hard to master the art of burgers)
*Always a fan of Bubbalous for BBQ when in town
*I’m not a very big fan of corporate run restaurants, but Houston’s will always have a place in my heart (now Hillstone)

Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete-
*I know Ybor City is rundown, but that conch baked volcano roll at Samurai Blue is all time favorite.
*Berns is best overall experience with tour
Just a heads up on bubbaLous. The owner sold all the locations minus the original one off of Lee road. The one on Alafaya closed because the quality off meat was horrific. I was wondering why I was getting messed up every time I ate there and once I found out about the sale things made sense. Fun fact of the day. All the land behind bubbalous all the way back to the ford dealership was my families land. SMH why didnt they hold on to the dam land.

For burgers have you tried any of the burgers at the Whiskey off sand lake rd. If not the burgers are killer. My favorite is the one named after the place The Whiskey burger.

Just a heads up on bubbaLous. The owner sold all the locations minus the original one off of Lee road. The one on Alafaya closed because the quality off meat was horrific. I was wondering why I was getting messed up every time I ate there and once I found out about the sale things made sense. Fun fact of the day. All the land behind bubbalous all the way back to the ford dealership was my families land. SMH why didnt they hold on to the dam land.

For burgers have you tried any of the burgers at the Whiskey off sand lake rd. If not the burgers are killer. My favorite is the one named after the place The Whiskey burger.

Yeah, the ORIGINAL founder of Bubbalou's died a while back, and it was the son who had been running things for a while. Lee Road almost closed, the guy developing that "Ravaudage" place thought that Bubbalou's was going to open a new spot in his development, but when there were serious delays in building, the Bubbalou's folks just re-opened the original spot.

I think the location in Altamonte is still open, not sure of the ownership though.

Shoot me a text and lets do bubbalous one day. My goto is Big Pig basket sliced pork half killer half sweet with collard greens and jalapeño grits. Large half and Half tea but I get it 75% unsweet to 25% sweet. The sweet tea is just way way to much sugar, holly smokes they go crazy with the sugar.

Much bigger fan of Pig Floyd's these days.

LOL, I obviously haven’t been on here in awhile...so didn’t know that was you. It’s because of your brother that I discovered it. How you holding up Jeff? It’s Scott from Tortugas

Don't give out the government names, the Chinese are data-mining.

Advertisement
The Garlic in New Smyrna Beach might be my favorite restaurant on the planet. Just insane food and ambiance.
I’ve been there a handful of times. The atmosphere is very interesting and unique.

I’ve had better Italian food, but it’s pretty good.

There’s another cool looking restaurant just down the road. The treehouse looking one? I’ve wanted to try that.

@TheOriginalCane ....El Pescatore...My GFs Dish....For the $$$...cannot be beat....
shrimp-in-creamed-sherry.jpg

Anybody have good London recs? I will be there next year if the trip holds up. Definitely going to try and go to Fergus Hendersons place.
Friend lives there. Loves Lyle’s and River Cafe. Core by Clare Smyth... she was Gordon Ramsey’s chef for years getting three stars and just opened her own spot. Must get Indian while there. Probably the best Indian food in the world, including India. Everything at Borough Market.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Friend lives there. Loves Lyle’s and River Cafe. Core by Clare Smyth... she was Gordon Ramsey’s chef for years getting three stars and just opened her own spot. Must get Indian while there. Probably the best Indian food in the world, including India. Everything at Borough Market.

We did The Ledbury and it was unbelievable. Every course in tasting menu was tremendous. Also if doing theater district recommend J. Sheeky. Great seafood. London is phenomenal. Loved just grabbing drinks at various hotel bars. City with real class.

We did The Ledbury and it was unbelievable. Every course in tasting menu was tremendous. Also if doing theater district recommend J. Sheeky. Great seafood. London is phenomenal. Loved just grabbing drinks at various hotel bars. City with real class.

Agree on London. Last time I was there was about 15 years ago. I know standard british fare sucks but we ate Italian, sushi, etc and all were top notch.

Yes.

I'm a HUGE fan of Se7en Bites, I love southern food, I love breakfast food.
I'm friends with 7 Bites owner.....She's a remarkable Chef....Was featured on Diners, Drive ins & Dives...Amazing Breakfast Biscuits (Especially the Bacon, Egg and Melted Pimento Cheese) Her story, and the reason behind the name 7 Bites is unreal...

I need to get back to London at some point, preferably to see the ****nal.

For anyone who needs a travel bug itched, Street Food Latin America is on Netflix today. The same people who do Chef's Table (which is also amazing if you have not watched), but they pick a different country in each episode and focus on the street food in different parts. The first season was Asia. Really incredible cinematography and shots. The countries this season are Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru. Asia was Thailand, India, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam.

Advertisement
Back