OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Advertisement
Man thats all I keep hearing. Maybe ill take my brother for his bday. Whats your go to dish.

I know it’s sounds like a cop out, but seriously, anything. I’ve never had anything there that isn’t simply spectacular.

They have a bacon wrapped filet that’s amazing if you’re in a steak mood. Or they have some Italian dishes that honestly are 3 full meals. My father in law ordered a bowl of something with pasta and a ton of meatballs, sausage, veal, etc and the waiter said he’s been there 9 years and never seen anyone finish it.

The place is simply fantastic.

Whats your go to meal at Garlic.

The Osso Bucco is fantastic. They do a great job with both The Garlic and Norwoods! In my opinion, best all around food in the Daytona, Flagler, St. Augustine area.

Another good Italian option that flys under the radar is Osteria Rustica in Bunnell. Pricey, but very intimate, table side experience with about 10 tables.

Other Daytona/Flagler/St Augustine-
Without the obvious (mine), I have become quite fond of our restaurant scene here.
*Ronin Daytona has best sushi in area.
*Harry’s has very good creole/seafood in downtown St.Augustine.

In South Florida-
*Canyon’s probably wins it for me. Roasted Rack of Lamb and legendary prickly pear margaritas.
*Breakfast we have to throw in Lesters or the Floridian. Many a night spent at Floridian!
*Of course, everyone knows La Spadas have best subs...period.
*Whales Rib in Deerfield Beach, Rock Shrimp and the Mahi are definitely trip worthy.

In the keys-
*Pierres and Morada Bar are the restaurants that changed my life. Incredible, picturesque atmosphere with great Full Moon parties and the vibe of upper keys.
*On a more casual budget, the subs at Marathon liquor and deli are surprisingly fantastic. Consistent and huge, plus you can load up with liquor for the boat in same trip
*MM 88 in Islamorada has an onion encrusted mahi you will want to try

Orlando-
* Call me old school, but I will take a Fuddruckers burger over any other restaurants “specialty” burgers and blends (and I’ve tried very hard to master the art of burgers)
*Always a fan of Bubbalous for BBQ when in town
*I’m not a very big fan of corporate run restaurants, but Houston’s will always have a place in my heart (now Hillstone)

Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete-
*I know Ybor City is rundown, but that conch baked volcano roll at Samurai Blue is all time favorite.
*Berns is best overall experience with tour

A
Yes sir. Thats a pretty good spot too. I used to seevice that plaza too. There's a pf changs and the bad daddy burger bar is pretty good. That whole area is blowing up. Rent is 2k a month for a decent 2 bed 2 bath.
ah....that PF Changs...oh the memories...

I just made ribs on the smoker seasoned with Plowboy's Yardbird rub and brown sugar that Ill put up against any restaurant anywhere. Served with cucumbers, onions, and sour cream for a side.

Ask me what's for lunch tomorrow.

Advertisement
Forgot to add in San Sebastián our splurge meal was Arzak which at time I think had two years in a row between top 10 / top 25 on the San Pelligrino world’s best list...well will just say I didn’t agree. Service was actually worst part which in those places was a HUGE surprise. Wish I had gone to Asador instead. But **** still remember the pinxtos in the Old Town.
Have heard this from a number of people. A friend did a run of 2/3 star places from Bilbao to Barcelona for his honeymoon. Etxebarri was closed for the season, so he didn’t go there. Said Arzak was not even disappointing, he said it was a bad meal. He said Tickets was far and away number one and Elkano was number two. Did lunch at Akelare, said it was average. Also said Diverxo in Madrid blew all of them out of the water. But with all of that, he still said the best bites from the trip were the pintxo bars around San Sebastián.

Have heard this from a number of people. A friend did a run of 2/3 star places from Bilbao to Barcelona for his honeymoon. Etxebarri was closed for the season, so he didn’t go there. Said Arzak was not even disappointing, he said it was a bad meal. He said Tickets was far and away number one and Elkano was number two. Did lunch at Akelare, said it was average. Also said Diverxo in Madrid blew all of them out of the water. But with all of that, he still said the best bites from the trip were the pintxo bars around San Sebastián.

Barcelona couldn’t get Tickets as that is what we were trying for. In Madrid did Santceloni which is two stars. Great tasting menu and service. Probably would say top 10 meal but at that tail end. Actual went to this other place where I had suckling pig that was amazing, probably best dish while I was in Spain. Just can’t remember **** name.

Forgot to add in San Sebastián our splurge meal was Arzak which at time I think had two years in a row between top 10 / top 25 on the San Pelligrino world’s best list...well will just say I didn’t agree. Service was actually worst part which in those places was a HUGE surprise. Wish I had gone to Asador instead. But **** still remember the pinxtos in the Old Town.
Pais Vasco has the best food in the world.

@TheOriginalCane ....BOOM
96582953_4331114386906103_9116309394202558464_o.jpg

Advertisement

I posted about SS. Best food experience I’ve had in my life. It was impossible to get a bad meal there especially in the old section. We did akelare when we were there last. If I could vacation one place on a yearly basis, it would be there.

As a former washington dc resident and current baltimore resident (born and raised), Oohs and Aahs (on U street in DC) has the best fried chicken, yams, and mac n cheese combo I've ever had.

As a former washington dc resident and current baltimore resident (born and raised), Oohs and Aahs (on U street in DC) has the best fried chicken, yams, and mac n cheese combo I've ever had.

I’m a MD resident and went to Woodbury kitchen several years ago in Baltimore. Is it still there? Great food.

The Osso Bucco is fantastic. They do a great job with both The Garlic and Norwoods! In my opinion, best all around food in the Daytona, Flagler, St. Augustine area.

Another good Italian option that flys under the radar is Osteria Rustica in Bunnell. Pricey, but very intimate, table side experience with about 10 tables.

Other Daytona/Flagler/St Augustine-
Without the obvious (mine), I have become quite fond of our restaurant scene here.
*Ronin Daytona has best sushi in area.
*Harry’s has very good creole/seafood in downtown St.Augustine.

In South Florida-
*Canyon’s probably wins it for me. Roasted Rack of Lamb and legendary prickly pear margaritas.
*Breakfast we have to throw in Lesters or the Floridian. Many a night spent at Floridian!
*Of course, everyone knows La Spadas have best subs...period.
*Whales Rib in Deerfield Beach, Rock Shrimp and the Mahi are definitely trip worthy.

In the keys-
*Pierres and Morada Bar are the restaurants that changed my life. Incredible, picturesque atmosphere with great Full Moon parties and the vibe of upper keys.
*On a more casual budget, the subs at Marathon liquor and deli are surprisingly fantastic. Consistent and huge, plus you can load up with liquor for the boat in same trip
*MM 88 in Islamorada has an onion encrusted mahi you will want to try

Orlando-
* Call me old school, but I will take a Fuddruckers burger over any other restaurants “specialty” burgers and blends (and I’ve tried very hard to master the art of burgers)
*Always a fan of Bubbalous for BBQ when in town
*I’m not a very big fan of corporate run restaurants, but Houston’s will always have a place in my heart (now Hillstone)

Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete-
*I know Ybor City is rundown, but that conch baked volcano roll at Samurai Blue is all time favorite.
*Berns is best overall experience with tour

My brother-in-law gets the Osso Bucco every time we go. He refuses to get anything else. He said it's way too good to take any chances with anything else. I can't blame him too much.

Advertisement
Anybody have good London recs? I will be there next year if the trip holds up. Definitely going to try and go to Fergus Hendersons place.

Anybody have good London recs? I will be there next year if the trip holds up. Definitely going to try and go to Fergus Hendersons place.
I was last there over 20 years ago, so most places I know have closed, but in general:

Fish and chips can be absolutely amazing. Avoid the fast food style shops, especially Mr. Cod. They find a way to make fish with a 10:1 breading to fish ratio. Bangers and mash is usually pretty good. They put corn on their pizza and it still tastes like cardboard. Beware inexpensive meat pies with a puff pastry lid for the same reason as fast food fish and chips. Even a good steak is comparatively bland to ours. If you order steak, get some kind of sauce to help give it flavor. Their chocolate is better than the cheap Hershey crap and most sodas are sweeter.

Oh, if you get out to Reading, go to Sweeney & Todd's for their pies, or The Highwayman Inn. It's in the middle of nowhere and has a really low ceiling, but the food is great.

I went last year, and I did a variety of different places. I went to the Gordon Ramsay place near Grosvenor Square, but I also found a small chain of burger joints called Patty & Bun, I went twice, once with co-workers and once on my own. They make these fries with "chicken skin salt" and serve them with "roast chicken mayo" and it was amazing. Great burgers too.

Advertisement
I went last year, and I did a variety of different places. I went to the Gordon Ramsay place near Grosvenor Square, but I also found a small chain of burger joints called Patty & Bun, I went twice, once with co-workers and once on my own. They make these fries with "chicken skin salt" and serve them with "roast chicken mayo" and it was amazing. Great burgers too.
Thanks TOC. I'm also going to try to find some good fish and chip places that aren't too touristy. Going to try and hit a bunch of pubs too.

I was last there over 20 years ago, so most places I know have closed, but in general:

Fish and chips can be absolutely amazing. Avoid the fast food style shops, especially Mr. Cod. They find a way to make fish with a 10:1 breading to fish ratio. Bangers and mash is usually pretty good. They put corn on their pizza and it still tastes like cardboard. Beware inexpensive meat pies with a puff pastry lid for the same reason as fast food fish and chips. Even a good steak is comparatively bland to ours. If you order steak, get some kind of sauce to help give it flavor. Their chocolate is better than the cheap Hershey crap and most sodas are sweeter.

Oh, if you get out to Reading, go to Sweeney & Todd's for their pies, or The Highwayman Inn. It's in the middle of nowhere and has a really low ceiling, but the food is great.

I have heard that about their beef/steak. Not near as good as here. I'll probably be getting plenty of meat pies at the pubs lol.

I have heard that about their beef/steak. Not near as good as here. I'll probably be getting plenty of meat pies at the pubs lol.
Roger that. Don't be afraid of steak and kidney pie. A good one is absolutely fantastic.

The Garlic in New Smyrna Beach might be my favorite restaurant on the planet. Just insane food and ambiance.
JB's is also one of the best in New Smyrna. Dive seafood shack on the water but the rock shrimp with jungle juice and a beer is hard to beat after a day at the beach.

Advertisement
Back