OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

i bought a Toyota a week ago Sunday @ Sanford Toyota, then went to The Willow Tree for dinner. Love that place. Had a beer and a rubenstein....delicious. We drive over periodically from Daytona to eat there.

Advertisement
Dang. Some of y'all have some serious coin. 💰👌

No kids. Every day is

tenor (67).gif

Four filet or ribeye steak, Canedog's.
That's where I'm at too. Okeechobee Steakhouse raised their prices and I just can't justify it when I can do equally as good at home. I made steak au poivre Saturday night and it was equally as good if not better than theirs.

Advertisement
That's where I'm at too. Okeechobee Steakhouse raised their prices and I just can't justify it when I can do equally as good at home. I made steak au poivre Saturday night and it was equally as good if not better than theirs.
I wish I could talk ewe out of the Ah poivre thing, but eye am learning too bee more tallerant of people's differences re steak preparation.

I'm a self described foodie. When I travel I love to try the inexpensive joints were locals congregate. Here are some of my favorite spots that come to mind.

Los Tacos No. 1 (NYC) - There's a reason every time I go there's a line all the way outside. Whether it's for lunch or dinner expect to make the line, but the wait if worth it. Food is fresh and very good. Hands down, the best taco spot I've been to.

Bon Gout (Little Haiti, Miami) - Service is good. Food is great. And prices may be the best part. Platters are probably the best way to go. It'll allow you to try different foods for about $15. If this spot were anywhere else besides Little Haiti, it'd be talked about by every foodie down here.

Hole in the Wall (Roatan, Honduras) - Not a restaurant per se, but more like a bar. Location is half land/half barge at the bottom of where mountain meets water. Only way to visit this spot is by boat. If you're a visiting tourist without your own boat don't fret water taxi's are available. Live music, cold beer with great views. A must try if you're ever in the area.

Dominick's (Little Italy, Bronx) - I've never been to Italy, but this place definitely made us feel as if we were in Sicily somewhere mingling amongst the mob. No menus. Servers come to your table and spew out (with an accent straight out of a Godfather movie) the menu off the top of their heads. Food is fantastic, some of the best Italian cuisine I've ever had.

Lung Yai Thai Tapas (Little Havana, Miami) - Best Thai food in the 305 hands down. There are always lines, so come early. Food is fantastic. Love the place. Only thing that keeps me from going more often is the wait.

The Daily Catch (North End, Boston) - This is truly a hidden gem. Great sicilian-style seafood and pasta joint. Kitchen is visible from dining area, so you can see them cook your food from your table. Not very big and another spot where there's usually a wait, but definitely well worth it.

Cook Out (NC, GA, TN) - I'll put this place up against any fast food spot in America. You can enjoy a hearty meal for less than $5. Known for the BBQ and shakes, it's their burgers and quesadillas that I jump on every time I go. Trust me, y'all will thank me for this one.

Gene's Po' Boys (New Orleans) - In a city known for it's po-boys, this was the spot I always ate at when in NOLA. Although it's about a 10 minute drive from French Quarter, I knew it was a great spot when I saw afterwards that Jay-Z, Beyonce, Drake and even the Simpsons were served here. After 50 years in business, was sorry to hear that it closed last year.

My boujie more upscale spots are Joe's Stone Crab (South Beach), Smith & Wollensky (South Beach), Seaspice (Miami), Acme's Oyster House (French Quarter, NOLA), El Portal de la Carnes (Honduras), Peche (New Orleans), and The Forge (Miami Beach).

Dominick's is still a mob operated joint.
Food is insanely good.

Go Canes!!!!!!

Advertisement
A thread I can get behind.... funny when I am visiting home in Philly, I go to the local cheesesteak spots and cook out, don't really do fine dining home in Philly.

In Kansas City, though.... best BBQ I had wasn't Oklahoma Joe's or Gates or that Smoking Guns BBQ Guy Fieri recommended. Its Roadhouse BBQ in Gladstone, MO. Best beef burnt ends I have ever had.
Best restaurant I ever ate at was in Kansas City at a hibachi van called High Moon. Their salmon, steak and sushi are on point. This is where a lot of Samoans who pass thru Kansas City come and eat. Their most notable customer: Joe Anoa'i aka Roman Reigns. A bunch of other WWE wrestlers have eaten here when passing thru Kansas City.

Philly is home?

**** man....Geno’s or Pats? they are both so fire to me.

I also ate at that terminal market. That’s ***** so underrated.

Still haven’t had a better Philly than Genos and Pats. The rest are wannabes

My favorite meals come out of my smoker.

Bogart’s Smokehouse in St. Louis is my favorite BBQ joint. Granted I haven’t had any of the highly acclaimed Carolina spots, but that’s not typically my type of BBQ

Use to hit Bogart’s on the regular when I lived in the Lou. Probably the only thing I miss about that **** city, lol.

Advertisement
**** man, too bad you don't live in the Michigan area, we could catch some games together, not many Canes fans up here lol. I'm 23, so pretty close in age. When did you move away? Also, what are your favorite places around this area?

Man....I’ve been gone for good since the military. The Military got me out of Detroit. Straight out of HS.

Tbh, we didn’t eat out when I was coming up. Mostly Coney Island, some Greek restaurants, I been to a few polish joints in Hamtramack that were pretty good.

If brave enough to venture into the area, Capers on Gratiot and State Fair is a very highly regarded steakhouse amongst us native Detroiters.

I use to love going to Eastern Market for select items as well.

SW Detroit was always the best for Mexican Food.

Dearborn for any middle eastern food around Warren and Schaefer. Just walk in them spots.

I never spent much time in Detroit’s suburbs so I have no clue what’s out there.....haha. I’m a city guy.

You guys talking about Shibuya in Vegas? I went there too and had an awesome experience but last I heard it had closed in 2016.

Nah Shibuya district in Tokyo. Food, nightlife fashion.

Tokyo is next level. The technology over there is so advanced too. Especially the toilets lol.

But I never been to Shibuya in Vegas. Vegas has had so many restaurants close over the years.

Haven't been to South America or Asia sadly. Soon though.

I think Lisbon is up next in February for a week. I had three weeks scheduled this September for Denmark, Switzerland, Germany, Russia but, well, the 'Rona happened.

Sounds like it will be a good time. I have reason to go to Germany. I’ve got some German cousins I’ve never met before. (Uncle got out the army moved over there, married a German girl, and literally hasn’t been in the USA for 25 years lol.)

So it’s somewhere I’ve got to go lol.

Advertisement
I'm a self described foodie. When I travel I love to try the inexpensive joints were locals congregate. Here are some of my favorite spots that come to mind.

Los Tacos No. 1 (NYC) - There's a reason every time I go there's a line all the way outside. Whether it's for lunch or dinner expect to make the line, but the wait if worth it. Food is fresh and very good. Hands down, the best taco spot I've been to.

Bon Gout (Little Haiti, Miami) - Service is good. Food is great. And prices may be the best part. Platters are probably the best way to go. It'll allow you to try different foods for about $15. If this spot were anywhere else besides Little Haiti, it'd be talked about by every foodie down here.

Hole in the Wall (Roatan, Honduras) - Not a restaurant per se, but more like a bar. Location is half land/half barge at the bottom of where mountain meets water. Only way to visit this spot is by boat. If you're a visiting tourist without your own boat don't fret water taxi's are available. Live music, cold beer with great views. A must try if you're ever in the area.

Dominick's (Little Italy, Bronx) - I've never been to Italy, but this place definitely made us feel as if we were in Sicily somewhere mingling amongst the mob. No menus. Servers come to your table and spew out (with an accent straight out of a Godfather movie) the menu off the top of their heads. Food is fantastic, some of the best Italian cuisine I've ever had.

Lung Yai Thai Tapas (Little Havana, Miami) - Best Thai food in the 305 hands down. There are always lines, so come early. Food is fantastic. Love the place. Only thing that keeps me from going more often is the wait.

The Daily Catch (North End, Boston) - This is truly a hidden gem. Great sicilian-style seafood and pasta joint. Kitchen is visible from dining area, so you can see them cook your food from your table. Not very big and another spot where there's usually a wait, but definitely well worth it.

Cook Out (NC, GA, TN) - I'll put this place up against any fast food spot in America. You can enjoy a hearty meal for less than $5. Known for the BBQ and shakes, it's their burgers and quesadillas that I jump on every time I go. Trust me, y'all will thank me for this one.

Gene's Po' Boys (New Orleans) - In a city known for it's po-boys, this was the spot I always ate at when in NOLA. Although it's about a 10 minute drive from French Quarter, I knew it was a great spot when I saw afterwards that Jay-Z, Beyonce, Drake and even the Simpsons were served here. After 50 years in business, was sorry to hear that it closed last year.

My boujie more upscale spots are Joe's Stone Crab (South Beach), Smith & Wollensky (South Beach), Seaspice (Miami), Acme's Oyster House (French Quarter, NOLA), El Portal de la Carnes (Honduras), Peche (New Orleans), and The Forge (Miami Beach).

This was a such a quality posts. Los Tacos is fire.

So many posters got so many great reccomendations in south Florida I’d need a month to eat it all.

You’ve put me on game with Honduras. I need to check that out.

Cookout is legit for fast food. They had one in Richmond. Them shakes are bangers.

The rest I’m just noting down. I like to keep a running list of restaurants on my phone. So whenever I’m somewhere I can be like “yo such and such said to go here”

Great post

I try to focus on the thing a restaurant does best. In that vein, try the crab cakes at the Minneapolis Oceamaire.

I live between DC and NYC right now. I was in NYC until Coronavirus then I high tailed it back to Washington.

Washington area and Baltimore have some of the best crab cakes man! I’ll have to see what Minneapolis has going for it in regards to those.

i bought a Toyota a week ago Sunday @ Sanford Toyota, then went to The Willow Tree for dinner. Love that place. Had a beer and a rubenstein....delicious. We drive over periodically from Daytona to eat there.
Go to Emmys time out tavern in Deland it blows willow tree out the water.

I’m going to have to check out this Los Tacos No. 1 joint. This isn’t the first time it’s been mentioned here. I think it was a favorite of NYSOM.

some of the best I’ve had is Prime 112, Shula’s, and Ruth’s Chris. I rank Morton’s just below those. For a quick bite in NYC, I’ve mentioned this before, but a sub from Faicco’s is the best for under $15. Best Chinese I ever had was Chef Jiao’s in Chinatown, SF. Best Mexican I’ve had is also in the Bay Area. For cheap Mexican, El Grullense is great.

Advertisement
Back