OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Advertisement
Have you tried Taco Chenna off mills ave. Place is straight fire, the shrimp taco with the ghost pepper sauce is amazing. The cod and Thai chicken tacos are also killer.

And Nha Trang on colonial and mills! Man I miss home bro.

They ain't changed the plates in 20 years. I loooooooove the peanut sauce. Sucks to hear you had a mediocre experience.
That peanut sauce is straight fire. Hey another place thats amazing right around that area is Minhs Bistro. The Su mai is insane good. we also order the clams in black bean sauce with a side of white rice. Chinese broccoli is killer as well. Pretty much all the dumplings are killer. Tts located kind of behind that super old 711 just off 50 and Mills. If you pass that 711 its the first right and then its on the right hand side.

oh you’ve been around. I’ve never gone to Europe yet just SEA and latam.

I was going to spend 3 months in Africa before Coronavirus......

Haven't been to South America or Asia sadly. Soon though.

I think Lisbon is up next in February for a week. I had three weeks scheduled this September for Denmark, Switzerland, Germany, Russia but, well, the 'Rona happened.

Advertisement
26E502A4-C4C6-4640-8F38-5F7802420A90.jpeg
Sushi Lolas off Corrine drive orlando fl is on point 24/7. The owners are Korean but they straight crush it. They are suppose to have killer Korean dishes but I just cant stop from getting the sushi.

I'm a self described foodie. When I travel I love to try the inexpensive joints were locals congregate. Here are some of my favorite spots that come to mind.

Los Tacos No. 1 (NYC) - There's a reason every time I go there's a line all the way outside. Whether it's for lunch or dinner expect to make the line, but the wait if worth it. Food is fresh and very good. Hands down, the best taco spot I've been to.

Bon Gout (Little Haiti, Miami) - Service is good. Food is great. And prices may be the best part. Platters are probably the best way to go. It'll allow you to try different foods for about $15. If this spot were anywhere else besides Little Haiti, it'd be talked about by every foodie down here.

Hole in the Wall (Roatan, Honduras) - Not a restaurant per se, but more like a bar. Location is half land/half barge at the bottom of where mountain meets water. Only way to visit this spot is by boat. If you're a visiting tourist without your own boat don't fret water taxi's are available. Live music, cold beer with great views. A must try if you're ever in the area.

Dominick's (Little Italy, Bronx) - I've never been to Italy, but this place definitely made us feel as if we were in Sicily somewhere mingling amongst the mob. No menus. Servers come to your table and spew out (with an accent straight out of a Godfather movie) the menu off the top of their heads. Food is fantastic, some of the best Italian cuisine I've ever had.

Lung Yai Thai Tapas (Little Havana, Miami) - Best Thai food in the 305 hands down. There are always lines, so come early. Food is fantastic. Love the place. Only thing that keeps me from going more often is the wait.

The Daily Catch (North End, Boston) - This is truly a hidden gem. Great sicilian-style seafood and pasta joint. Kitchen is visible from dining area, so you can see them cook your food from your table. Not very big and another spot where there's usually a wait, but definitely well worth it.

Cook Out (NC, GA, TN) - I'll put this place up against any fast food spot in America. You can enjoy a hearty meal for less than $5. Known for the BBQ and shakes, it's their burgers and quesadillas that I jump on every time I go. Trust me, y'all will thank me for this one.

Gene's Po' Boys (New Orleans) - In a city known for it's po-boys, this was the spot I always ate at when in NOLA. Although it's about a 10 minute drive from French Quarter, I knew it was a great spot when I saw afterwards that Jay-Z, Beyonce, Drake and even the Simpsons were served here. After 50 years in business, was sorry to hear that it closed last year.

My boujie more upscale spots are Joe's Stone Crab (South Beach), Smith & Wollensky (South Beach), Seaspice (Miami), Acme's Oyster House (French Quarter, NOLA), El Portal de la Carnes (Honduras), Peche (New Orleans), and The Forge (Miami Beach).

Advertisement
I'll be honest. I live in Atlanta, friends with the brother of the pastry chef there, and have never been. Our last two meals at Gunshow were so bad that we kind of just wrote his places off. We need to make it in at some point soon when the world re-opens.

what’s the story on Gunshow?

I'm a self described foodie. When I travel I love to try the inexpensive joints were locals congregate. Here are some of my favorite spots that come to mind.

Los Tacos No. 1 (NYC) - There's a reason every time I go there's a line all the way outside. Whether it's for lunch or dinner expect to make the line, but the wait if worth it. Food is fresh and very good. Hands down, the best taco spot I've been to.

Bon Gout (Little Haiti, Miami) - Service is good. Food is great. And prices may be the best part. Platters are probably the best way to go. It'll allow you to try different foods for about $15. If this spot were anywhere else besides Little Haiti, it'd be talked about by every foodie down here.

Hole in the Wall (Roatan, Honduras) - Not a restaurant per se, but more like a bar. Location is half land/half barge at the bottom of where mountain meets water. Only way to visit this spot is by boat. If you're a visiting tourist without your own boat don't fret water taxi's are available. Live music, cold beer with great views. A must try if you're ever in the area.

Dominick's (Little Italy, Bronx) - I've never been to Italy, but this place definitely made us feel as if we were in Sicily somewhere mingling amongst the mob. No menus. Servers come to your table and spew out (with an accent straight out of a Godfather movie) the menu off the top of their heads. Food is fantastic, some of the best Italian cuisine I've ever had.

Lung Yai Thai Tapas (Little Havana, Miami) - Best Thai food in the 305 hands down. There are always lines, so come early. Food is fantastic. Love the place. Only thing that keeps me from going more often is the wait.

The Daily Catch (North End, Boston) - This is truly a hidden gem. Great sicilian-style seafood and pasta joint. Kitchen is visible from dining area, so you can see them cook your food from your table. Not very big and another spot where there's usually a wait, but definitely well worth it.

Cook Out (NC, GA, TN) - I'll put this place up against any fast food spot in America. You can enjoy a hearty meal for less than $5. Known for the BBQ and shakes, it's their burgers and quesadillas that I jump on every time I go. Trust me, y'all will thank me for this one.

Gene's Po' Boys (New Orleans) - In a city known for it's po-boys, this was the spot I always ate at when in NOLA. Although it's about a 10 minute drive from French Quarter, I knew it was a great spot when I saw afterwards that Jay-Z, Beyonce, Drake and even the Simpsons were served here. After 50 years in business, was sorry to hear that it closed last year.

My boujie more upscale spots are Joe's Stone Crab (South Beach), Smith & Wollensky (South Beach), Seaspice (Miami), Acme's Oyster House (French Quarter, NOLA), El Portal de la Carnes (Honduras), Peche (New Orleans), and The Forge (Miami Beach).
Food Network quality report right there ☝️

100% agree on Los Tacos #1 - my brother and I went 3 times the last time we were in NYC.

Advertisement
what’s the story on Gunshow?
So it is sort of like State Bird Provisions out in SF. There were 3-4 cooks and they just make whatever they want in large batches and bring them around dim sum style. Each would make 3-4 dishes a night. Problem is 1) people would be leaning over the food, looking close at the cart or dish as it was coming around, etc., which was gross even before Covid; 2) they may run out of that batch before it gets to you if you are at the end of the path; and 3) it was often lukewarm at best by the time it got to your table. I also thought the food was super uneven, and now the best chef from there left to open his own spot.

Definitely have had some GREAT dishes there, but for a meal out in Atlanta, I am going to one of Kimball House, BoccaLupo, Miller Union, Staplehouse, or Little Bear for upscale in-town places, or somewhere for Korean or Chinese food on Buford Hghway.

There is also a place up here called Porch Light owned by a chef from Miami. HUGE Canes and Fins fan. Has a giant U in front of the open kitchen. That place is KILLER but in the burbs.

Checkers Old Munchen in Pompano. Best place in the world!!!!!! If you like German food.

Veal Weiner Schnitzel with warm potato salad and red cabbage and a boot of Paulaner lager.

I drive and hour just to go here every few weeks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Checkers Old Munchen in Pompano. Best place in the world!!!!!! If you like German food.

Veil Weiner Schnitzel with warm potato salad and red cabbage and a boot of Paulaner lager.

I drive and hour just to go here every few weeks.

Come up to Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe in Sanford (north of Orlando).

Voted best German restaurant in Orlando every year for decades.

Advertisement
Back