OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Do they have flaming cheese at Taverna Opa?

Greek food is very common in metro Detroit. I know I’ve had a flaming cheese when they serve it they yell “OPA”

Tbh, I don't really remember what I've eaten there except that it's really ******* good. In reality, Opa's like a club with amazing food. If you go there, expect to see women dancing in tables and drinking lots of Ouzo.

Advertisement
L'Ambroisie - Paris

Cafe del Mare - Kotor, Montenegro

Lokanda Peskarija - Old Town, Dubrovnik Croatia

Gato Prieto - Havana, Cuba (I think this was the name)

My favorite place I've eaten is ÓX in Reykjavík Iceland

Many more but those were stand outs for me.

In Miami my favorite spot is Stiltsville. Also Pan de Bono bakery for empanadas and cafe con leche.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've had the fortune to enjoy some very good restaurants over the years. Manresa is probably near the top. David Kinch has been on several shows. The French Laundry was an amazing experience too, just for the shear "show" of it all. Those two were likely the most memorable.

As far as local, I think Stubborn Seed is likely the best restaurant in town. Alter is excellent, too. I'm also a big fan of Matsuri for casual sushi/sashimi.

The more I eat around, the more it is the comfort spots that get me. A bowl of ramen in Tokyo - fu unji (tsukemen) or Kagari (chicken paitan) killed us. Poke from a fisherman in Kauai. Pheasant, quail, andouille gumbo at Jazzfest in the Gospel Tent.

For fancy, Borago in Santiago was something special. A tasting menu in Atlanta at Woodfire Grill when Kevin Gillespie was there was excellent, as was a tasting menu at Staplehouse in Atlanta. In New Orleans, Brigtsens, Clancy’s, and Commanders Palace never disappoint. In Miami, NAOE is the single best dining experience, hands down, bar none.

I miss traveling.

Advertisement
I’m going to stick with Domestic and mostly FL.

Best Italian Sub - White House Subs, Atlantic City. Order 5 of them or don’t share. They go like hot cakes.

Best Overall Sandwich - Key West Dolphin Blackened from Whales Rib, Deerfield Beach. Order some whale fries with whales juice as an app. They have a sperm whale in the back that makes the juice.

Best Shrimp and Grits- Grits a yah yah - Fish House, Pensacola. We sat next to Leon Searcy last time there.

Best Lobster Bisque - Lobsta Bomb from Kelly’s Landing, Fort Lauderdale

Best Lobster Roll - Hot Roll from Neptune’s, Boston

Best Ramen - tonkotsu pork from Tsujista, Los Angeles

Best Ribeye - Steak 954, Fort Lauderdale

Best Filet - Prime 112, SoBe

Best Pasta Dish -Pear/Ricotta/Truffle Stuffed Purses in cream sauce from Il Paseano, Oakland Park

Best Fish Dish - Any Daily Special from North Beach Fish Camp, Neptune Beach (Jax)

Best Overall Restaurant for Food, Wine, and Dessert - Bern’s Steakhouse, Tampa

Best Cuban Overall - Versailles. I tend to try other places but I’m always happiest back there. And it’s at the stadium but not the same.

Best Peruvian Dish- Ahi De Gallina from Ceviche 105, Aventura location

Ran of time fellas...

The more I eat around, the more it is the comfort spots that get me. A bowl of ramen in Tokyo - fu unji (tsukemen) or Kagari (chicken paitan) killed us. Poke from a fisherman in Kauai. Pheasant, quail, andouille gumbo at Jazzfest in the Gospel Tent.

For fancy, Borago in Santiago was something special. A tasting menu in Atlanta at Woodfire Grill when Kevin Gillespie was there was excellent, as was a tasting menu at Staplehouse in Atlanta. In New Orleans, Brigtsens, Clancy’s, and Commanders Palace never disappoint. In Miami, NAOE is the single best dining experience, hands down, bar none.

I miss traveling.
Kevin Gillespie's Revival restaurant in Decatur is outstanding. So many good things. The cinnamon roll bread pudding, the fried chicken were great.

In the US it was this place in Jacksonville called the pig. This was back in 92. It was a hole in the wall and don’t know if it still exists. They would give you a whole slab of ribs with bread on top. When you pulled the bread off it would also pull the meat off the bone. The bbq sauce was already in the ribs and that sht was just ridiculously good.

I remember taking a road trip to Ensenada and we spent the night in an rv campground in a cliff overlooking the ocean. There was a shack at the end of the cove where there were 3 ladies making huevos rancheros from scratch. Then a dude comes in with some fresh caught fish and we had fish tacos as well. Til this day haven’t had a better breakfast.

Advertisement
If all goes well and shii isn't shut down completely, I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale a month from tomorrow. Need some good eating places out that way if there are any suggestions?? Will be my 2nd time traveling there. I've noted some of the ones already mentioned.

@motorcitycane Did you ever have a chance to go to Tru or Sepia in Chicago? Tru shut down w/in the last couple years but that was a really cool experience. I went to Sepia a couple years ago and it was really, really good. Chicago is a great eating city.

One man's opinion...

Best paired chef's menu experience = Michael Mina in San Francisco, CA
Best local paired chef's menu experience = Alter in Wynwood (please have the Soft Egg if you go)
Best Steak + Wine + Dessert experience = Bern's in Tampa, FL
Best Indian food I ever had = some small place in ***ushima, Japan
Best ramen = any ramen shop in Tokyo that is open past midnight
Best local ramen = 107 Taste in Miami Lakes and Westchester (Tonkotsu ramen and Korean spicy ramen are both excellent)
Best local all-around Japanese = Sushin Izakaya in Coral Gables
Best steakhouse = Gibson's in Chicago, IL
Best local steak = Rincon Argentino in Coral Gables

Advertisement
Mikes huli chicken, iron grill hawaii and the no 7 food truck kept me alive in oahu and were all delicious. Didnt try Giovannis as the line was super long and the garlic shrimp didn't look better than other local trucks.

Anyone been to Victoria and alberts at disney?

Last edited:
What is the best restaurant that you have ever been to?

From 5 stars to Food trucks.....

What was the actual meal you had?

Can be anywhere in the U.S. or the world. That you highly recommend if given the opportunity.

I’ll start best overall experience was tastings at Alinea when I was living in Chicago.

My favorite steakhouse (I haven’t been to many) so far is SW steakhouse in Vegas for the Japanese Wagyu.

Favorite hole in the wall joint was somewhere in “Carytown” in Richmond, VA. Can’t recall the name of the spot. It didn’t look like much walking past it. But once you got inside and ate the food was amazing.

I travel a lot and pretty much always have since the military.

Miami
Big fan of Prime 112 and RED whenever I’m in Miami. (Y’all might know some better spots) but I love those two.

Love La Carreta and Versailles as well.

Shoutout to Chef Creole that spot was straight low key.

Outside the U.S.
I went to this Japanese BBQ joint in Shibuya, Tokyo. Really wish I could remember the name. That was too fire.

Rio De Janiero
I’m down here like 4-5 times a year to see my childhood friend who retired from the NFL. Been going down there since he moved to Rio a few years ago.

The ORO restaurant in Leblon is one of my favorites.

Churrascaría Palace in Copacabana
Straight fire.

Aprazível in Santa Teresa
Dope ambiance. Dope food just a great experience overall.

Overall:
Brazil has some pretty good food. I know many of the Europeans go down there complaining. I thought it was solid.

My boy done convinced me to move to Brazil. It’s became my second home. Women are a plus. Language a little tougher than Spanish but I’ll get there.

Bangkok
Sirocco Rooftop Restaurant. This was unforgettable. Just the setup as whole. Bangkok has so many rooftop restaurants and pools but this was the best one that I remember and the service was incredible too.

That’s about it for me. My 27 years on this planet has been cool but I want to see and experience some more restaurants.

CIS what y’all got?
What kind of food at the Richmond place in Carytown? I’ll try to guess the place.

Kevin Gillespie's Revival restaurant in Decatur is outstanding. So many good things. The cinnamon roll bread pudding, the fried chicken were great.
I'll be honest. I live in Atlanta, friends with the brother of the pastry chef there, and have never been. Our last two meals at Gunshow were so bad that we kind of just wrote his places off. We need to make it in at some point soon when the world re-opens.

I'll be honest. I live in Atlanta, friends with the brother of the pastry chef there, and have never been. Our last two meals at Gunshow were so bad that we kind of just wrote his places off. We need to make it in at some point soon when the world re-opens.
We went to Revival twice in June of last year and my daughter still talks about it.

Good to know about Gunshow though.

Advertisement
Back