OT: Rap Fans

Advertisement
Has nothing to do with the quality of projects. His body of work isn’t close to Hov’s. Hits don’t equal classics. Where’s his RD? Blueprint? Black Album? He doesn’t even have a Vol 1 lol. And I like Drake.
I mess with Drake and give the guy all the credit, but I'm not sure he's ever put out a (dating myself here) a 5 Mic Classic. Hov arguably has 3.

Drake is Jurassic Park. Hov is The Godfather.

Changing gears a bit, who y'all old heads got in the Bone Thugs N Harmony vs. Three Six Mafia versusz battle on Sunday?

Lot of cats dismissing Bones catalog. I still give the edge to Three Six, but ppl acting like it's a slam dunk.

Ridiculous, Drake the most versatile artist EVER, no one has ever dabbled in both rap AND R&b lanes like he has which means something to me in that discussion. Lol at not even close to the goat, crazy talk. Put some respect on drake name
I don't hate on no one for chasing paper. That boy is paid and gets trim like a ****. He probably could care less with what the hood gots to say...

I’m an old hip hop head. Kendrick imo is the most creative right now. From his video to lyrics and the song concepts. He’s the hip hop version of a Miles Davis. Everything has been so original and refreshing.
Btw I played this at work the other day and everyone from the young white girls to the old heads were head bopping like mfer. Never gets old

Now kRS 1 ....
🐐

Advertisement
Can’t none of them compare to drake though or have done as much as he has. Andre is very talented but he’s no where near on drake level

Different times, my brotha.
So let me educate you a bit about how the industry works:

Drake came at a time during social media, streaming, and he signed to one of the hottest labels out there. Plus, there was a buzz about that one kid who was on a teen-fare show, “Degrassi”, and people where intrigued could dude really rap. No cap, Drake’s first mix tape was one of the best I’ve heard, but had this been in the 90’s, would he have the same affinity as he does now? Probably not, b/c no one heard mix tapes unless u was from that area.

Biggie had a stupid dope mix tape, but many on the West Coast didn’t know chit about Biggie until “Big Poppa” first came out on the radio via a record label. For Drake, it was different b/c the world of music became smaller via social media and streaming.

No one knew who The Fugees were. They come through an upstart label named Ruffhouse. ****, Lauryn Hill was boo’d off stage at the Apollo. The Fugees didn’t have the machine behind them like Drake, and Lauryn fell off the deep end, but real hip hop fans have been craving and wanting her return for a while.

OutKast was barely known outside The South until their hit album “Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik“ but didn’t get real recognition until they dropped “Stankonia” under LaFace records. Andre didn’t want to be commercialized, and Speakerboxx/The Love Below featured the Andre 3000 post Erykah Badu.

My point is, the aforementioned great artist came during a time w/o stream, w/o hype beast (I mean, u had to look at The Source Magazine to see who was recommended as hot.) Drake is a talent, no doubt, but his star was pushed to outter limits b/c he was associated with thee hottest performer which was Wayne, and thee hottest new record label, Young Money. Does anyone think Nicki Minaj is better than Lil Kim? Nope! But Nicki benefited from the same hype beast.

I’m not saying Drake is weak, by any means. He has great concerts. But calling him a GOAT is a far stretch. No hip hop artist, I’m not talking about rappers, b/c there’s a huge difference; but no hip hop artist has him their top 10.

Drake came at a time during social media, streaming, and he signed to one of the hottest labels out there. Plus, there was a buzz about that one kid who was on a teen-fare show, “Degrassi”, and people where intrigued could dude really rap. No cap, Drake’s first mix tape was one of the best I’ve heard, but had this been in the 90’s, would he have the same affinity as he does now? Probably not, b/c no one heard mix tapes unless u was from that area.

Biggie had a stupid dope mix tape, but many on the West Coast didn’t know chit about Biggie until “Big Poppa” first came out on the radio via a record label. For Drake, it was different b/c the world of music became smaller via social media and streaming.

No one knew who The Fugees were. They come through an upstart label named Ruffhouse. ****, Lauryn Hill was boo’d off stage at the Apollo. The Fugees didn’t have the machine behind them like Drake, and Lauryn fell off the deep end, but real hip hop fans have been craving and wanting her return for a while.

OutKast was barely known outside The South until their hit album “Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik“ but didn’t get real recognition until they dropped “Stankonia” under LaFace records. Andre didn’t want to be commercialized, and Speakerboxx/The Love Below featured the Andre 3000 post Erykah Badu.

My point is, the aforementioned great artist came during a time w/o stream, w/o hype beast (I mean, u had to look at The Source Magazine to see who was recommended as hot.) Drake is a talent, no doubt, but his star was pushed to outter limits b/c he was associated with thee hottest performer which was Wayne, and thee hottest new record label, Young Money. Does anyone think Nicki Minaj is better than Lil Kim? Nope! But Nicki benefited from the same hype beast.

I’m not saying Drake is weak, by any means. He has great concerts. But calling him a GOAT is a far stretch. No hip hop artist, I’m not talking about rappers, b/c there’s a huge difference; but no hip hop artist has him their top 10.

Y'all ain't had pirate radio on the WC? Before streaming, pirate radio was big in Miami for breaking in new artists, people got tired of hearing the same old payola fueled $h!t. Had a homeboy that set up a radio station in his garage/barber shop LOL.

Advertisement
Lol he’s 1000x the artist Jay-Z was. Please for the love of God. Times are different now. Nobody cares about albums. I don’t even like Drake but he’s in another world compared to Jay-Z. Jay-Z’s best song got mocked by Mike Meyers & a midget.
...some people aren’t even worth talking to. Where you from?

Advertisement

These lists are subjective. I can’t speak on the new guys but anyone who thinks Easy E was a better rapper than Big Pun, Rakim or KRS is on crack. What’s their definition of best? Sales, influence, lyrical skill in meaning or in flow???

Personally, I value lyrical skill high so that’s my subjectivity.

These lists are subjective. I can’t speak on the new guys but anyone who thinks Easy E was a better rapper than Big Pun, Rakim or KRS is on crack. What’s their definition of best? Sales, influence, lyrical skill in meaning or in flow???

Personally, I value lyrical skill high so that’s my subjectivity.

Easy E sucked as a rapper. Lol. That was all Ice Cube. But he was influential. He could’ve been much bigger, but chose the short money over the long money.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back