OT- Oregon asks UCLA for permission to talk to Kelly

Chip Kelly was a true innovator in the game of football. I'd put his contributions to the sport right up there with guys like Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson.

Advertisement
I said it in the other thread but Chip has a chance to win early with this Oregon team Mario built. They were a QB away from being real CFP contenders imo. But if he doesn't win idk if Oregon is gunna be able to recruit highly enough for them to continue being a 10 win/yr type team.

Either way there will be a big recruiting drop off. But if he wins early he may be able to be good enough basically. They won't beat out anybody with USC...but it's not like they won't still have a lot of top options

mora's worst class was #20. kelly's best class was #19 in his translation class and hasn't been above #31 since. dude hates recruiting.

mora's worst class was #20. kelly's best class was #19 in his translation class and hasn't been above #31 since.
Yup. Unless he gets a **** load of stud recruiters I don't see them being anywhere close to top 15. But if they win first 2 years he can keep getting good players to keep rolling

There will be a mass exodus from Oregon's roster if they hire Kelly. He's recruited poorly at UCLA for a reason.

The fact that UCLA fans are begging Oregon to hire him should be enough of a red flag for the Oregon AD.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Oregon will finally have some longevity if Chip goes back. Suppose he can recreate some of that magic he had there before, and it will be a home run for them. I don't think he goes anywhere else after that.

I don’t understand. Bryan McClendon is currently the Oregon coach. How can they start looking for other coaches while McClendon is serving in that role?

So you mean when Oregon asks for permission, UCLA answers, "take him please!"?
Don't think the Bruins would be heartbroken. Chip surely hasn't resembled the old "up tempo, hi-octane offense" Chip from his Oregon glory days. UCLA will always be an attractive job so shouldn't have a difficult task in replacing him if he goes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back