OT: NBA needs to get rid of the '1 and done' rule..

Rather than wishing the one and done rule was gone, I actually miss the days when great players stayed for 3 or 4 years. College ball was so much better back then, IMO. But we'll never see that again. It's all good, I fully get and support why these kids should be able to go earn theirs. I just love CBB and miss the days when the best teams were layered with 4 years' worth of great players.

Advertisement
I'm curious how many guys enrolled in school with the plan of being "1 and done" but found the college competition to be much tougher and wound up staying in college longer? How many of those kids would have just applied for the draft? For the "sure thing" talents like Lebron, Kyrie or Zion, going to school for a year is pointless but for the other 99.9% it's a smart move.

Like football, just drop the comical pretense of "amateur" and the operational costs and bureaucratic gymnastics that go with it. The market is there. Colleges and professional sports organizations are just highly incentivized to distort it.

I believe the One and done rule was implemented because so many kids were going pro out of high school and not making it. So, then they were just sh*t out of luck without the ability to get an education. There were some pretty grim horror stories of these kids who went pro and busted.

They didn't do it for the players. There's plenty who go to college for 1 year, still fail, and still can't get a degree.

Advertisement
They already plan to get rid of the rule anyway. NCAA doesn't want it either. They should do like baseball, if you go to college you have to stay 3 years, or you can go straight from high school. The NBA will increase the D league salaries and i think every team owns a d league team now. They need to make it so the D League team owns the rights to the players for it to work for the NBA teams though.

You're preaching the corporate line. The reality, however, is the NCAA DGAF about any of the kids, they care about the bottom dollar. And once guys started leaving straight from high school to the pros, it cut into their $$$$.

You still see a bunch of guys leave after 1 or 2 years of college ball, go undrafted and are pretty much in the same situation as the high school kids who declared but weren't drafted. It's not like they get corporate gigs in the real world with a year of education from some college. It's a joke. A big money grabbing joke.

Maybe I am accidentally preaching a corporate line, but there is no truth to your suggestion about the NCAA

Maybe you are to young to remember how it went down. It was the Team Owners vs Players Union. Team owners said they need more time to evaluate players (and my "corporate line"). Players Union said they ruling cut in to how much money a player could make over career. But the NCAA was not even close to having a seat at the table.

Players,and agents, should be looking at alternatives to playing cbb. Go to Europe or China and learn how to be a professional player instead of pretending to be a student athlete!

I'm curious how many guys enrolled in school with the plan of being "1 and done" but found the college competition to be much tougher and wound up staying in college longer? How many of those kids would have just applied for the draft? For the "sure thing" talents like Lebron, Kyrie or Zion, going to school for a year is pointless but for the other 99.9% it's a smart move.

there are a few that were like that esp when you get to the UK roster or Duke. theyre all great recruits, but when teams recruit like that, there will be better recruits on board. it forces them to end up staying.

in the case of the Canes last year, id argue for Walker and even Huell, it hurt them. Walker (injuries) still went mid first but i saw him scattered on draft boards prior to entering UM (anywhere from low end lottery to where he got picked). Brown should've left after 1 year imo. Huell was a highly ranked kid and prolly would've been drafted somewhere. hes now facing the likely possibility of (MAYBE a second round non guarantee) or europe

Advertisement
I get the allure of playing on National TV and in March Madness, and the college lifestyle but man if more kids went overseas to ball professionally, it would really put the squeeze on the NCAA to pony some cash up

No, it wouldn't. People watch college basketball because the sport is fun to watch and to root for the name on the front of the jersey's, not the name on the back. 5-15 kids per year going to play for a year in Europe instead of college would have 0 impact on the NCAA.

If the players don't like how the NBA is run, they should start their own league, own the teams, own the capital, and set the rules. Won't happen. You know why? Because it's the capital that makes the league work, not the players.

If some crazy alien race were to land on earth today and kidnap every rostered NBA player on the planet and then disappear with them all, never to be seen again, the NBA would refill it's rosters and resume operations within a month. In a year, hardly anyone would know the difference. Yes, elite players are special, gifted, uniquely talented, etc. They are not irreplaceable.

Obviously, I know this is not a popular opinion, but it's the truth. The music world cries when a Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, etc passes too soon. Music doesn't cease to exist or be made, the world goes on.

No, it wouldn't. People watch college basketball because the sport is fun to watch and to root for the name on the front of the jersey's, not the name on the back. 5-15 kids per year going to play for a year in Europe instead of college would have 0 impact on the NCAA.

If the players don't like how the NBA is run, they should start their own league, own the teams, own the capital, and set the rules. Won't happen. You know why? Because it's the capital that makes the league work, not the players.

If some crazy alien race were to land on earth today and kidnap every rostered NBA player on the planet and then disappear with them all, never to be seen again, the NBA would refill it's rosters and resume operations within a month. In a year, hardly anyone would know the difference. Yes, elite players are special, gifted, uniquely talented, etc. They are not irreplaceable.

Obviously, I know this is not a popular opinion, but it's the truth. The music world cries when a Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, etc passes too soon. Music doesn't cease to exist or be made, the world goes on.

people watch CBB for the name on the front, but no one is paying 10k (ive seen a report of that) for a seat at last nights game even if it was DUke-UNC for the name. they came to see Zion against UNC. the opponent added to the insane hype, but Zion was the diff maker.

Players,and agents, should be looking at alternatives to playing cbb. Go to Europe or China and learn how to be a professional player instead of pretending to be a student athlete!

let them profit off their likeness. i get why they dont want to colleges paying players (i dont agree tho), but allow guys like zion to sign endorsements and what not. Zion had a million IG followers or so prior to getting to duke. for any person at duke or anywhere, that would result in a **** ton of endorsement deals bc of his status as an influencer. it also allows him to play at duke and protect himself financially. any normal student would have been able to sign an endorsement deal with IG following.

Advertisement

All. Of. This.

I am going to guess that out of the players who don't make it, the ones who valued and got a degree do a lot better than the players who go to all these developmental leagues. This is going to be the majority of the people. Society and communities should go back to valuing degrees. Should go back to seeing the athletic ability as a way to get a degree to get ahead. If they happen to be good enough to go further than college in a sport then that is just gravy.

Society does a great disservice to all these young kids telling them to just shoot for the league and that college is just a barrier to it. Also does them a disservice by just pushing them through school because they happen to have some athletic ability. It is akin to having a financial plan of not worrying about retirement or even being able to afford things you buy because you will win the lottery.

Yeah, Miami & Cleveland have been setting the basketball world on fire since King James left.

Advertisement
people watch CBB for the name on the front, but no one is paying 10k (ive seen a report of that) for a seat at last nights game even if it was DUke-UNC for the name. they came to see Zion against UNC. the opponent added to the insane hype, but Zion was the diff maker.

Due respect... bullshine. UNC-Duke was UNC-Duke long before Zion was a glint in his daddy's eye. If Zion was playing in the NBA or in Europe, it would be someone else starring for Duke.

Maybe I am accidentally preaching a corporate line, but there is no truth to your suggestion about the NCAA

Maybe you are to young to remember how it went down. It was the Team Owners vs Players Union. Team owners said they need more time to evaluate players (and my "corporate line"). Players Union said they ruling cut in to how much money a player could make over career. But the NCAA was not even close to having a seat at the table.
I am old enough to remember it well. I recall when Kevin Garnett opened the floodgates for guys like Korleone Young and Lenny Cooke to follow. The reason why the NCAAB didn't have a seat at the table is to avoid the appearance of collusion with the NBA, not because their interests weren't aligned.

Peep this article: NCAA and NBA re One and Done rule

..after watching Zion Williamson hurt his knee last night, potentially costing him millions upon millions of potential dollars, why do we have the '1 and done' rule for these kids that should be drafted out of high school?

I'm a software developer. If i'm 14 and could care less about going to MIT and there is some company willing to pay me a billion dollars for an app I wrote, I don't have to wait until i'm 19 or after a year in college. It's ridiculous!

The NCAA is much about the cash and not so much about 'student athletes' in my opinion. How much did Nike get paid to have their shoe fail on this kid? If his knee is shot, where's the recourse? A free education makes it all good?

Let the kids into the NBA whenever they want. If they declare and don't get drafted, let 'em play college ball for a year or until they graduate. '1 and Done' should be 'Done'.

I'm also an advocate for paying college football and basketball players - revenue generating sports. Legalize it and allow these kids to earn a living while they make millions for the institutions the represent.

go CANES!!
I will start this by saying I agree with you on getting rid of the rule. It is dumb. The one and done players are mostly NBA ready and do not really get better by playing 4 months at the college level. Furthermore, these guys are probably not even going to class. I have said for a long time, it needs to be like baseball. You can go pro out of high school but if you choose to go to college, you go for 3 yrs min.
On you first sentence though, he mildly sprained a knee. He nowhere near potentially cost himself millions of dollars, just sayin...

Advertisement
Back