OT: Miami / UF Fan Dilemma

I work with a little twit that was born and raised in Miami. His father owned a muffler shop on 27th Ave and about 180th St about 2 blocks from the iconic Coppertone Sign. When I first met him, he said he was a fan of both The U and the gaytor. He "likes" the gaytor because it's the state school of FL. He didn't attend either school as he left the 305 at age 12. Tells you all you need to know about this twit. I immediately told him it was impossible to be a fan of both. He's in a position of influence that could influence my employment. I didn't give 2 f*cks. I said if you're a gaytor, go f*ck yourself. He now avoids me like the plague.

Advertisement
I feel like everyone else already has this covered, but since the OP and his "friend" still don't get it, my family has had UM football tickets since the 50s. I literally grew up at the OB. My mother taught at UM in the 80s. I didn't go to UM because I wanted to get the **** out of Miami for college. After college I got my MA and Ph D from FSU. The entire time I was at FSU I wore Miami gear. When I was an instructor at FSU I had Xavier Beitia in one of my classes the semester after he missed the kick against Miami in the OB game in 2004. I may or may not have brought it up in class. I never. Never. Never. considered rooting for FSU. Every single time they call me for money, I tell them, A. call someone from the business school, and B. I'm a Miami fan.

Thank again OCCC for this gif
D66F47D3-4DA9-4854-A136-342B52FC0562.gif

Advertisement
I attended my first Canes game in 1978 as a kid...grew up a Canes fan my whole life....I graduated from UCF...when the Canes play UCF, there is ZERO question who I would be rooting for....my friends wouldnt even think to ask....LETS GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
I work with a little twit that was born and raised in Miami. His father owned a muffler shop on 27th Ave and about 180th St about 2 blocks from the iconic Coppertone Sign. When I first met him, he said he was a fan of both The U and the gaytor. He "likes" the gaytor because it's the state school of FL. He didn't attend either school as he left the 305 at age 12. Tells you all you need to know about this twit. I immediately told him it was impossible to be a fan of both. He's in a position of influence that could influence my employment. I didn't give 2 f*cks. I said if you're a gaytor, go f*ck yourself. He now avoids me like the plague.

U, sir, are a true ambassador to the program.

Dear CIS,
I'll keep this short. I need to give a friend some advice. He went to UF but grew up a huge Miami fan. He went to all the games at the OB, but he made a business decision by attending UF and it worked out pretty well for him. He naturally became a Gator fan but still remains a die hard fan of the Canes. He's having a tough time deciding who to root for him. I'm sure there are others out there like him. How can I help him?
Sincerely,
Asking for a Friend
You cannot do both. Your friend sounds like a huge ***** and ****-bailor like @WhatTheHell. He made a business decision. Sleep in the bed you made, like a real man.

Tell your friend to kill himself, or drink bleach. He went to school at UF. I don't want him rooting for my team.

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes do folks no longer have shame? Why would you actually admit this? The whole point of sports is to pick a side and go with it.

I feel like everyone else already has this covered, but since the OP and his "friend" still don't get it, my family has had UM football tickets since the 50s. I literally grew up at the OB. My mother taught at UM in the 80s. I didn't go to UM because I wanted to get the **** out of Miami for college. After college I got my MA and Ph D from FSU. The entire time I was at FSU I wore Miami gear. When I was an instructor at FSU I had Xavier Beitia in one of my classes the semester after he missed the kick against Miami in the OB game in 2004. I may or may not have brought it up in class. I never. Never. Never. considered rooting for FSU. Every single time they call me for money, I tell them, A. call someone from the business school, and B. I'm a Miami fan.

This is what people don’t get. I can’t tell you how many people I know from South Florida that either went to Gainesville or Tallahassee, for various reasons. A lot of them just had to do with plain old finances, and/or getting scholarships up there where the cost of their education was negligible. And while Miami does give scholarships on the academic side they are rarely for 100% of everything, and you’re still paying quite a bit out of pocket at Miami even with scholarships. Believe me I know this from personal experience.

So obviously there are people who’s only true love are the Miami hurricanes but for whatever reason, go to one of those other schools. They get their education, but their heart never leaves the U.

Like I mentioned either in this thread or another thread, some of my seatmates for season tickets at the games are Florida grads. While they are appreciative of the education, they hated the turds before they went there, they hated them when they were there, and they hate them now.

Dear CIS,
I'll keep this short. I need to give a friend some advice. He went to UF but grew up a huge Miami fan. He went to all the games at the OB, but he made a business decision by attending UF and it worked out pretty well for him. He naturally became a Gator fan but still remains a die hard fan of the Canes. He's having a tough time deciding who to root for him. I'm sure there are others out there like him. How can I help him?
Sincerely,
Asking for a Friend
A) we all know there is no friend and you're asking for yourself. B) if you have to ask this question, then you should already know the answer.

Advertisement
I would agree, for most teams at the least. I went to UVA, so I root for the Wahoos whenever they're not playing Miami, and also follow their program. Although if Miami needed UVA to drop a game or two to win the coastal than I'd be rooting for them to lose. Whenever Miami came up to Charlottesville for a game, I'd always wear my Miami gear to the game. Next home game I'd switch right on back to the UVA gear. I loved everything about UVA, best decision I ever made was to go there. But, I've also been a Miami fan since I was 5, so it does definitely cut both ways.

With the Gators, it's a whole other thing. At least for me, I couldn't imagine ever rooting for them, based off of all the interactions I've had with their fans and their program's history/culture.
That’s sick, UVA is my dream school.

You cannot do both. Your friend sounds like a huge ***** and ****-bailor like @WhatTheHell. He made a business decision. Sleep in the bed you made, like a real man.

Tell your friend to kill himself, or drink bleach. He went to school at UF. I don't want him rooting for my team.

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes do folks no longer have shame? Why would you actually admit this? The whole point of sports is to pick a side and go with it.
I told him what you said and he cried. He said he would think about it.

Dear CIS,
Sincerely,
Asking for a Friend

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: If he's actually having a dilemma, that should answer his question right there.

2 different breeds for sure, always have been....in-breeds and :neonu:s.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back