OT: Miami / UF Fan Dilemma

Dear CIS,
I'll keep this short. I need to give a friend some advice. He went to UF but grew up a huge Miami fan. He went to all the games at the OB, but he made a business decision by attending UF and it worked out pretty well for him. He naturally became a Gator fan but still remains a die hard fan of the Canes. He's having a tough time deciding who to root for him. I'm sure there are others out there like him. How can I help him?
Sincerely,
Asking for a Friend

Advertisement
Dear CIS,
I'll keep this short. I need to give a friend some advice. He went to UF but grew up a huge Miami fan. He went to all the games at the OB, but he made a business decision by attending UF and it worked out pretty well for him. He naturally became a Gator fan but still remains a die hard fan of the Canes. He's having a tough time deciding who to root for him. I'm sure there are others out there like him. How can I help him?
Sincerely,
Asking for a Friend
If he "naturally became a Gator fan," he was never a "die-hard fan of the Canes" to begin with.

Advertisement
Dear CIS,
Sincerely,
Asking for a Friend
I will keep my response short

Advertisement
Dear CIS,
Sincerely,
Asking for a Friend

I know plenty of guys who went to UF but are still huge cane fans.

My advice...

I’d advise you to walk up to him, stick both hands out in front of you , then ask him which hand? As soon as he points at hand instantly smack the **** out of him , preferably with the hand he chose. Then say “ f you , you aren’t a cane”.

If he "naturally became a Gator fan," he was never a "die-hard fan of the Canes" to begin with.

If you spend 4 years immersed in a community, and your life is made better off directly as a result of your experience, yet you can't bring yourself to cheer for the sports teams that that community cheers for, then you take sports too seriously. The macho keyboard warriors on this site can drop as many dismissive "FOH" as they want, and pat themselves on the back for being tough guys on the internet.

But you should root for the Canes.

There's nothing natural about becoming a gator fan. Tell your friend to **** his own face for even considering to root for the gator.

XEsjQijLBzk6A.gif

Advertisement
Dear CIS,
I cannot tell my friend to f&*k himself. You guys gotta understand, he IS a 'Cane but the guy went to another school. How is he going to root against his own school? I know there's people out there who went to other state schools and don't like it when ppl talk smack about their schools like a USF, FIU, UCF, or FAu.

If you spend 4 years immersed in a community, and your life is made better off directly as a result of your experience, yet you can't bring yourself to cheer for the sports teams that that community cheers for, then you take sports too seriously. The macho keyboard warriors on this site can drop as many dismissive "FOH" as they want, and pat themselves on the back for being tough guys on the internet.

I’ve lived in and around gainesville majority of my life , all it’s done is make me hate them worse.

I would agree, for most teams at the least. I went to UVA, so I root for the Wahoos whenever they're not playing Miami, and also follow their program. Although if Miami needed UVA to drop a game or two to win the coastal than I'd be rooting for them to lose. Whenever Miami came up to Charlottesville for a game, I'd always wear my Miami gear to the game. Next home game I'd switch right on back to the UVA gear. I loved everything about UVA, best decision I ever made was to go there. But, I've also been a Miami fan since I was 5, so it does definitely cut both ways.

With the Gators, it's a whole other thing. At least for me, I couldn't imagine ever rooting for them, based off of all the interactions I've had with their fans and their program's history/culture.

Advertisement
I’ve lived in and around gainesville majority of my life , all it’s done is make me hate them worse.

It's probably different for those who go to school there. I'm sure there are some students who hate it, as there are at any school, but most people tend to love their colleges.

Dear CIS,
I cannot tell my friend to f&*k himself. You guys gotta understand, he IS a 'Cane but the guy went to another school. How is he going to root against his own school? I know there's people out there who went to other state schools and don't like it when ppl talk smack about their schools like a USF, FIU, UCF, or FAu.

Manny went to FSU but he’s a Cane. A lot of people that are Canes fans go to other schools cause they can’t afford UM. With that being said, simple. Either you’re a Cane or not.

Advertisement
Back