OT: Mercedes Benz

New Mercedes: Good

Leased New Mercedes: Better

Used Mercedes:

The brake pad/rotor thing makes me take the Lords name in vain. (I'm an atheist)

There is literally no other reason to do it than make money on rotor parts.

I just did the rear brakes (rotors and pads) on my W204 myself this past weekend and it cost me $130 and took less than two hours.

Advertisement
lol you said super car and economical sense!! I'm just picking at you because all I ever hear in high hp talks is 'pay to play.' Both are drool inducing cars.

Have you seen the Infiniti Vaydor? I first saw it in the Suicide Squad movie.

I believe a body shop in Miami created the kit; but the kit needs an Infiniti chassis. It’s about 10 - 20k for the kit (Pending what feature & how much HP you want) and another 15k or so to build it.

So you can get a Supercar for about $30 - $50k w/o car payments! Lol. That’s what I was debating. But the mechanics/maintenance of it is where I’m scratching my head. I doubt I could take that joint to an Infiniti dealership & get it worked on. Lol.

I just did the rear brakes (rotors and pads) on my W204 myself this past weekend and it cost me $130 and took less than two hours.

And you could've done it for about $30 had Mercedes not designed the brake system for planned failure. Even on normal cars, you can resurface rotors and its cheaper. You cant do that with the lip on Mercedes.

Heres the funny thing; making the brake pads larger would eliminate the problem completely. You'd even get more braking power with the increased pad surface. But they specifically don't do it just to **** you.

I remember years ago a mechanic buddy of mine worked in Tampa fixing German cars, and the specialty tools he needed to do complex work were so expensive he kept them under lock and key.

I'll admit they have **** good engines in them. The 80's Mercedes were the same way without the ridiculously over complicated tech.

Buy one new or lease one. I would not want to buy one used. There is a reason they are some of the highest depreciating cars out there.

Last edited:
And you could've done it for about $30 had Mercedes not designed the brake system for planned failure. Even on normal cars, you can resurface rotors and its cheaper. You cant do that with the lip on Mercedes.

Heres the funny thing; making the brake pads larger would eliminate the problem completely. You'd even get more braking power with the increased pad surface. But they specifically don't do it just to **** you.

I remember years ago a mechanic buddy of mine worked in Tampa fixing German cars, and the specialty tools he needed to do complex work were so expensive he kept them under lock and key.

I'll admit they have **** good engines in them. The 80's Mercedes were the same way without the ridiculously over complicated tech.

Buy one new or lease one. I would not want to buy one used. There is a reason they are some of the highest depreciating cars out there.

I've had my Benz for 6 years and I've had to put maybe $1,000 into it including the front and rear brakes including rotors ($300). I had to get the CV joints replaced ($600) and I've had to replace the sunroof motor ($60). Those (besides the sunroof motor) are common items in need of replacement/repair on a +100k mile car. I bought it with 26k on the odometer.

Advertisement
I had an Audi for 5 years. It was fun as **** to drive but any little thing that went wrong required taking the whole car apart and $1k to replace.

I traded in the Audi and got a BMW, and it's been a pain in the ***. Again, fun as **** to drive but I've dealt with an oil leak, electrical trouble, trim ******* melting, alignment issues, paint chipping and suspension gone to ****.

None of that **** should happen to $60k car that's only 6 years old.

Like I said, I've had the Benz for 6 years. No crazy issues. Runs like the day I bought it and doesn't eat money like the other two.

My next vehicle will either be an E-class or an Acura.

Have you seen the Infiniti Vaydor? I first saw it in the Suicide Squad movie.

I believe a body shop in Miami created the kit; but the kit needs an Infiniti chassis. It’s about 10 - 20k for the kit (Pending what feature & how much HP you want) and another 15k or so to build it.

So you can get a Supercar for about $30 - $50k w/o car payments! Lol. That’s what I was debating. But the mechanics/maintenance of it is where I’m scratching my head. I doubt I could take that joint to an Infiniti dealership & get it worked on. Lol.
****, that's what I get for not completely understanding what you're talking about. Those do look pretty sweet. What kinda HP can you get out of G35 engine? I'd love to somehow get a body kit or whatever to make my 2014 gt500 look like the 69 Mach 1. That sweetness would keep me from selling it.

I realize its all personal preference, but not having to go to a gas station or take your car in for maintenance is awesome (even more so in this virus era). My wife and kids have gas powered cars, but they will probably be migrating to Tesla at some point too.

****, that's what I get for not completely understanding what you're talking about. Those do look pretty sweet. What kinda HP can you get out of G35 engine? I'd love to somehow get a body kit or whatever to make my 2014 gt500 look like the 69 Mach 1. That sweetness would keep me from selling it.
You are in luck, my friend. Or for 3/4 of that, you can buy my 70 Mach 1.

Advertisement
Also, I would never again buy anything Nissan (that includes Infinity). In my experience they're a hunk of crap built around a *****in' engine.

You are in luck, my friend. Or for 3/4 of that, you can buy my 70 Mach 1.

**** you're killing me. The wife would flip about another 45K into my car. It's one thing to hide engine, stereo, and chassis mods, but I think she'd notice a whole different looking car in the garage. I'd love to see more pics of the red one on the site tho. The reality is, I need to sell this car because I cant control myself and it's only a matter of time before I **** up or get put in jail.

**** you're killing me. The wife would flip about another 45K into my car. It's one thing to hide engine, stereo, and chassis mods, but I think she'd notice a whole different looking car in the garage. I'd love to see more pics of the red one on the site tho. The reality is, I need to sell this car because I cant control myself and it's only a matter of time before I **** up or get put in jail.
So showing you this link would be a bad idea? 700 hp with warranty for $40k. Then get your retrobuilt kit and drive around in a 69 fastback with 700hp, all the safety and comforts, and a full warranty.

So showing you this link would be a bad idea? 700 hp with warranty for $40k. Then get your retrobuilt kit and drive around in a 69 fastback with 700hp, all the safety and comforts, and a full warranty.

I've already got more than that to the rear wheels sitting in the garage collecting dust. :cool:

Advertisement
I've already got more than that to the rear wheels sitting in the garage collecting dust. :cool:
This could be your DD. I've got a 70 gathering dust. The 435 hp in the 17 is enough for me. For now. I want the 70 gone and I've got a hundred little projects on the 90.

This could be your DD. I've got a 70 gathering dust. The 435 hp in the 17 is enough for me. For now. I want the 70 gone and I've got a hundred little projects on the 90.
lol can't do it, I'm 98% sure I'm getting out of the high hp money drain. I'm ready to just fish now.
I'll sell you this for $45k and all original parts that I took off are included. Stock wheels also. The only reason it's not in the paper already is I don't want to deal with tire kickers.

DSC_1555small.jpg

lol can't do it, I'm 98% sure I'm getting out of the high hp money drain. I'm ready to just fish now.
I'll sell you this for $45k and all original parts that I took off are included. Stock wheels also. The only reason it's not in the paper already is I don't want to deal with tire kickers.

View attachment 119113
I had a sterling grey metallic 2011. I'm trying to pare down the amount of stuff I have to maintain as well.

Advertisement
Full disclosure. Just because its fine German engineering doesn't mean it doesn't breakdown. I had a 560 sec and it was a money pit. Everytime I took it in it was at least $1,500. Mechanical issues started happening around 60,000 miles. Great car though.

I had an Audi for 5 years. It was fun as **** to drive but any little thing that went wrong required taking the whole car apart and $1k to replace.

I traded in the Audi and got a BMW, and it's been a pain in the ***. Again, fun as **** to drive but I've dealt with an oil leak, electrical trouble, trim ******* melting, alignment issues, paint chipping and suspension gone to ****.

None of that **** should happen to $60k car that's only 6 years old.

Like I said, I've had the Benz for 6 years. No crazy issues. Runs like the day I bought it and doesn't eat money like the other two.

My next vehicle will either be an E-class or an Acura.

I bought a certified pre-owned 2008 A4 in 2010 and the car gave me no issues whatsoever for 7 years or so at which point I had a faulty fuel pump that was pretty pricey. After that it started to have normal wear and tear issues like an exhaust that had a hole in it (likely due to my many short trips) and shocks that were shot and a few other issues that really added up. The exhaust alone was going to be $3200 just for the part which point I decided I would just get a new car (the high cost of parts and maintenance is not unique to Audi).

I now have a certified pre-owned 2015 A4 since June 2018 with no issues so far (knock on wood) and have been very happy with it.

Note though that I put very little mileage on my car (<5,000 per year) and both my cars were bought with around 40K miles on them.

This also gives me an excuse to post this again :)

_8wnbaAuMpWGV_2Lc4aut5OXauP1cSA2oi4ZzVz60yEH1CLbAVDcIv8rZg1B9zhQJgwtxZnyESaJ6HPasD1QxsILxNuhPLsr1U6-yvKWEl8XzzGDKdtcG0_QYNIsip4PcHZFRt9gxAT9CR8DVZQN0JbteDk7ZbHM1fiU-53nBSDwcrtAPu7uLuL-HxgPzElJxLcOQy2wwvIIKRVxOhE7vZChDCmNZAqEa2LHSlpLVrcTAsOFiECWs_wv-dyXi-deHE6JGxs2ReHqWsMPrm2Bn-bSkQbLpkPiMexSVSIwyjqRrD7h_KViGTiEIx_FhXtNWHPMWhToQbOOAOk4d0B1A0XkjRrMSVINiQn2d64EFLv6t7-P_GX4TMK_KtvJe7gLju2IZ9ceDMF-0JJIwf0QX_OqQnts_0HPMurVzXV2h8httGv7ME1YhhHrQyBRUyMt5vUtufbi1zZmhOuwbNei-yVHTaxrJ9CHQJS_o5j76tr7dJ9_3VSrXLhXSntLb6xUzHL4GK7VQ1Dn4Z7E5FotMDl-Omug2yqXqANmTxgMIU8ZRfLJN3yb93ocCrS3PLRh2RIOobgLHSMbhJ43Ur72CtjSP1O4QL9Vu0vTEqgiVX6naf7mvz444R8WyaB26BUJa83w1Fg4GB96YZcXaJry29PiWuBfgUZfzfFJfBiD-b2ZdpmAZyRxzMk=w1229-h867-no

Buy a Tesla it will blow away either one. Engineered eat BMW's alive. LMAO Not sure what those German **** boxes do very well.

German **** boxes. https://electrek.co/2020/05/18/tesl...ieves-new-record-quarter-mile-cheetah-stance/

Not so fast my friend...that's very deceiving.
After that 2nd run, you better go and hide somewhere because you wouldn't be able to keep up with anything with a few extra HP's, let alone high-performance cars.
See below:

1592336228828.png

If you're going to tout performance, shouldn't it happen on a consistent basis?...like, more than once?

Then there's the subject of total performance.
When Tesla gets that thing to stop in less than 100 feet and pull a 1+g on the skid pad, then we can talk.

Porsche is the German **** box I choose.

Advertisement
Back