OT: Martellus Bennett good on twitter rant about dark side of football

Guys who struggle adapting after their professional careers end usually surrounded themselves with the wrong people or planned poorly during their playing days. The support system is a major part of it. Gotta surround yourself with the right people. JMO..

Advertisement
You get paid millions of dollars to play a fvckin' game. That's a huge privilege that over 99.9% of people aren't blessed to have. You got a free college degree. You got free clothes and shoes. Access to the best food. You get to retire before your 40 while most Americans have to work another 20+ years.

Not to mention, the fact that you played football on the college and NFL level opens up TONS of other doors that a normal person would never have access to.

It's a BLESSING to be able to play professional sports for a living. A fvckin' blessing.

Try expressing these complaints to a young man living in a 3rd world country and see what his response is. ****, you don't even have to go to a 3rd world country, you probably can find people right here in America that would trade places with you in a heartbeat.
You normally my dude…but you might need to re-read your own post because it’s sounding real *****y. Like all of it.

If he’s being a ***** he’s being a *****, but he does not owe a soul for his talents.

Macho is that you?

EVEN IF YOU DON'T MAKE THE NFL, the privileges you get from playing major D1 football can be vast.

Our college athletes live rent free (obviously).
They eat like kings 3 times a day.
They get free clothes.
At schools with large alumni base, the networking opportunities are huge. This obviously can lead to career opportunities after graduation.
Obviously they get the free college education.

Also our players get $250 per week to spend on groceries, food and living necessities. The $250 is reloaded onto their card every Monday. This money can be spent at Publix, Chilis, Chipotle, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc etc etc. There's a long list of places it can be used at.
Imagine telling your mom and siblings that they don't have to spend money on groceries for the next 3/4 years. That's a pretty big deal.
I'd trade places with these kids RIGHT NOW.

You normally my dude…but you might need to re-read your own post because it’s sounding real *****y. Like all of it.

If he’s being a ***** he’s being a *****, but he does not owe a soul for his talents.

Macho is that you?
How does putting things into perspective sound b!tchy?
For the last 10+ years I've worked with underprivileged kids, incarcerated teens and children with severe autism.
I've seen countless sad stories. Like REAL sad stories. So when I sit here and see some privileged millionaire pro athlete ***** and complain about "adjusting to regular life" it hits a certain spot of annoyance with me.

Furthermore, I didn't say he owes anybody for his talents.
Neither him or the NFL owe each other ****.
They made a mutual agreement, and if you ask me, he got the better end of the deal.

It really breaks my heart to hear what that poor 33 yr old retired millionaire had to go through. Is there a GoFundMe?

Advertisement
How does putting things into perspective sound b!tchy?
For the last 10+ years I've worked with underprivileged kids, incarcerated teens and children with severe autism.
I've seen countless sad stories. Like REAL sad stories. So when I sit here and see some privileged millionaire pro athlete ***** and complain about "adjusting to regular life" it hits a certain spot of annoyance with me.

Furthermore, I didn't say he owes anybody for his talents.
Neither him or the NFL owe each other ****.
They made a mutual agreement, and if you ask me, he got the better end of the deal.
Did you read the tweets? I just think some of y’all are blowing it way out of proportion. I read them… didn’t seem like he was crying about anything; he was just giving a different perspective. That‘s it.

And, I realize it triggers you when athletes do that but from what I read of his tweets, he’s not one of them. So, if you‘re happy doing you, keep doing you, but you came off emotional in a way I had to check if it was even your post. LOL. I was like, “Macho?” “Macho?”

Anyway, I’ve never begrudged anyone a dollar so I don’t discount pity just because of an inflated bank account. The same stories you hear about a few athletes are some of the same I’ve read about musicians, actors, celebrities, and even 20/30-something Silicon Valley multimillionaires (a group that one would think were more grounded educationally … but, no, same ****). But it’s weird that athletes garner far less sympathy.

Lol..The infamous Gavin Hall. I remember the PSB lol.. I was in Divarty amongst another location outside of Division. I still reside in Hope Mills.
Man I hated it. Mt beret had to be perfect, my old BDUs with no wrinkles starched stiff, jungle boots or my cochrans spit shined with cotton balls heat gun and seal a shine jus to make CSM Thorpe happy. 🤦🏿‍♂️ 😂😂😂 I miss it i right of moving back, literally around Hope Mille or further south in Lumberton.

Let me provide a different perspective here.

Earlier in my career, I had an opportunity to be intimately familiar with a few athlete's finances. Unlike most of us, their earning potential only lasts a short period. Even for those who amassed fantastic wealth, once their playing days ended, their income went from millions to much, much less overnight. Put yourself in their shoes. What if I cut your salary 80% and asked you to keep your lifestyle the same?

You hope they did the right thing and saved, but man, they fall into well-intentioned but bad business deals along the way. Financial advisers take advantage. And then you have all the folks that hang on to you during your playing days and leach you of your money. One incredibly famous player was spending $24,000 in gas monthly(!) because he was giving out gas cards to family, friends, etc. These are 20 year olds with fantastic wealth and little education, maturity or sophistication to understand that the playing days will one day end.

Advertisement
Let me provide a different perspective here.

Earlier in my career, I had an opportunity to be intimately familiar with a few athlete's finances. Unlike most of us, their earning potential only lasts a short period. Even for those who amassed fantastic wealth, once their playing days ended, their income went from millions to much, much less overnight. Put yourself in their shoes. What if I cut your salary 80% and asked you to keep your lifestyle the same?

You hope they did the right thing and saved, but man, they fall into well-intentioned but bad business deals along the way. Financial advisers take advantage. And then you have all the folks that hang on to you during your playing days and leach you of your money. One incredibly famous player was spending $24,000 in gas monthly(!) because he was giving out gas cards to family, friends, etc. These are 20 year olds with fantastic wealth and little education, maturity or sophistication to understand that the playing days will one day end.
Not that it will always take hold, but all of these things fall into the part you mention with "little education". I don't know what the schools are currently doing to help prepare players for the future realities, but this was always an opportunity to differentiate yourself from other schools.

That would help towards the future, but I have to agree with Macho, If you **** away millions, you really do have nobody to blame but yourself.

Not that it will always take hold, but all of these things fall into the part you mention with "little education". I don't know what the schools are currently doing to help prepare players for the future realities, but this was always an opportunity to differentiate yourself from other schools.

That would help towards the future, but I have to agree with Macho, If you **** away millions, you really do have nobody to blame but yourself.

Think about it this way. It's no different than the way most Americans view retirement. How many folks in their 20s and 30s are worried about life at 65? Same goes for athletes. Retirement (albeit much younger) seems a long way away.

Now, at the end, yes, it's on them. I'm not tearing up for them, but it has to be difficult to be young, fabulously wealthy and be a target of everyone (women, financial advisers, scammers, friends, family, etc.).

Advertisement
Back