OT: Martellus Bennett good on twitter rant about dark side of football

they're broke that's their fault.
And if they have trouble adjusting to regular life, again, that's probably something within themselves. (not talking about those with CTE)
I don’t see it as black and white as that. But you got it lol. There are a multitude of factors that get people to certain points. There’s also room for personal accountability in that same space. Doesn’t have to be so black and white.

Advertisement
Oh god, I just scrolled through his Twitter feed.

This dude is an emotional wreck who preaches victimhood.
Get this fvckin' cry baby outta here.

GIF by Desus & Mero

LOL @ multi-millionaires who cry about "oppression".
Martellus Bennett is a strange dude

I've often thought that to play professional football a person has to have a bit of a ***** loose, at least to play on the line, linebacker, tight end and safety. What they do to themselves play after play is far from normal and borderline masochistic as they know what they are doing will cause physical pain but do it anyways. There is far less contact outside, and now for quarterbacks, but even they get hurt a lot, count surgeries in the off season, and keep coming back. And it's not just the money.
All that being written, there are obviously a lot of "normal" people playing the game and most live productive post-career lives, but let's not act like running into a brick wall 30 times over 3 hours is something most of us want to do.
If you think boxers and MMA fighters are "crazy" then you have to include football players as "crazy". Because the **** is when you really think about what is happening.
And if you still don't believe me, ponder this issue after consuming some nice indica (I have not yet for the record)
They're rewarded handsomely for it though.

How many other jobs can allow a 22 year old young man to change the trajectory of his entire life... and even his family's life?

How many other jobs will allow you to retire before 40?
Which means if you have a child, you're a part of a very small group of wealthy men who can actually spend time with their kid and see them grow up.

The benefits of playing professional sports are massive.
Living the rest of your life with a beat-up body is a small price to pay compared to those benefits. (excluding CTE obviously) A damaged body can be maintained.

I think if you approached most young men at the age of 22 and said "you can beat the **** out of your body for the next 10-15 and retire rich before 40"...orrrr you can go to college, accumulate student dept, join the workforce, take orders from some slapd!ck boss, and hopefully you'll retire by the time you're 60"...
We know what most would choose.

Furthermore...neither me or any of my former college football buddies EVER once said "Man I'm glad I didn't make it to the NFL. I would've hated to play the game I love for another 10 years and make millions of dollars! I'm glad I'm teaching for $45k instead! I saved some miles on my body!"

How many other jobs can allow a 22 year old young man to change the trajectory of his entire life... and even his family's life?

How many other jobs will allow you to retire before 40?
Which means if you have a child, you're a part of a very small group of wealthy men who can actually spend time with their kid and see them grow up
Private equity, tech, venture capital, among others.... without the head trauma and physical beating. These dudes earn everything they get. The framing of it in any other way is disingenuous.

Advertisement
You get paid millions of dollars to play a fvckin' game. That's a huge privilege that over 99.9% of people aren't blessed to have. You got a free college degree. You got free clothes and shoes. Access to the best food. You get to retire before your 40 while most Americans have to work another 20+ years.

Not to mention, the fact that you played football on the college and NFL level opens up TONS of other doors that a normal person would never have access to.

It's a BLESSING to be able to play professional sports for a living. A fvckin' blessing.

Try expressing these complaints to a young man living in a 3rd world country and see what his response is. ****, you don't even have to go to a 3rd world country, you probably can find people right here in America that would trade places with you in a heartbeat.
Stop with all the sense making... it's triggering me....whaaaaa whaaaa whaaaa

Go Canes!

I've often thought that to play professional football a person has to have a bit of a ***** loose, at least to play on the line, linebacker, tight end and safety. What they do to themselves play after play is far from normal and borderline masochistic as they know what they are doing will cause physical pain but do it anyways. There is far less contact outside, and now for quarterbacks, but even they get hurt a lot, count surgeries in the off season, and keep coming back. And it's not just the money.
All that being written, there are obviously a lot of "normal" people playing the game and most live productive post-career lives, but let's not act like running into a brick wall 30 times over 3 hours is something most of us want to do.
If you think boxers and MMA fighters are "crazy" then you have to include football players as "crazy". Because the **** is when you really think about what is happening.
And if you still don't believe me, ponder this issue after consuming some nice indica (I have not yet for the record)

Guys play in Turkey bowls w/ no pads or gear on & give it 100%, mud, rain, sleet, etc. U’re not getting ur face beat, taking pride in having cauliflower ears, or ur eye busted open.

Any sport is going to have effect on ur body. No one talks about NASCAR guys going 180-200 mph non stop crashing into walls at **** near full speed. No one talks about Rugby players who are in constant contact w/ no breaks or protective gear. No one talk about Hockey Players who see getting hit in the mouth w/ a flying object, knocking out their teeth as a badge of honor. Or no one talks about the knee & joint issues NBA players have after their careers.

That’s just sports, and the things that a lot men play in their spare time for fun & competition are affording guys an opportunity that majority of this world would kill for; getting paid millions of dollars for playing in a sport u just cracked ur ribs playing w/ ur homeboys in the backyard.

You got to make millions of dollar while being a celebrity playing a sport for a living? You know where you can find sympathy? In the dictionary between **** and syphilis. Victim culture at its finest

Advertisement
This is all easily fixed, simple as this, no one is forced to play football at any level, playing football is a choice, any human being who doesn't like what football is or is about or involved has the freedom to do something else. Don't choose to or voluntarily choose to do something in life and then ***** about it. Plenty of other paths for people to take besides football. There, see how easy that was

He's sounding a little bit like a *****.

NFL guys adapt to normal life all the time. I live near a lot of ex-NFL guys. Channing Crowder, Chad Johnson, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Pat Surtain, OJ McDuffie, Daryl Porter, Dan Marino, Orande Gadsen...man the list is long as ****.
These guys are adapting just fine. They're out in the community, some have podcasts, some coach high school football, OJ McDuffie practically lives at Sunrise Quarterdeck.
To be fair, I don't know what goes on in their personal life but these guys seem to be thriving, chillin', living a happy life.

I'm not fond of hearing sob stories from guys who are treated like freakin' royalty. The benefits these guys receive go well beyond their huge salaries. You made millions of dollars, got tons of free ****, ate like a king, had access to the finest pu$$y walking, etc etc etc...and you expect me to sympathize with you? Fvck outta here dude! LOL
Your gripes are a fvckin' joke compared to REAL problems people have to face.
MF'er you get to retire before you're 35! STFU!

Big a$$ cry baby.

Your correct... you must near me.

I see McDuffie there too and some of my buddies that go there often always intercat with him.

Crowders kid goes to school with mine and hes always happy and smiling.

It’s the basic risk versus reward concept. Most NFL players, or any professional athlete, is smart enough to understand this concept. And it’s true in many walks of life.

I can count on one hand, and have a few fingers left, how many professional athletes I’ve heard say they regretted playing professional sports.

Advertisement
If they're broke that's their fault.
And if they have trouble adjusting to regular life, again, that's probably something within themselves. (not talking about those with CTE)

WTF is so hard to adjust to?
HAVING ALL THIS NEW FREE TIME?!
NOT HAVING TO WORKOUT AND WATCH YOUR DIET ANYMORE?
NOT HAVING TO TAKE ORDERS OR FOLLOW TEAMS RULES?
Oh wow, boo hoo! Cry me a river!

If they can't handle being a "normal" part of society, and not being "the man" anymore, THAT'S ON THEM!
That's not football's fault. Maybe humble your fvckin' self. Surprise, you're human.

Nothing he said is controversial, it's just stupid.
That's why he be talkin' to himself half the time.
I agree whole heartedly but if u ever watch or listen to his interviews or his bros they have a lot of screws loose more than other nfl players

Today’s “victim hood” culture disgusts me
It's truly out of control. Establishing victim status essentially shields people (and groups) from legitimate criticism in our society, and in many cases they're celebrated/elevated, so the desire to pursue it is understandable. But the horrible long-term outcomes it inevitably produces are something we all should prepare ourselves to live with

Athletes are some of the most highly criticized people in the world, so it's not really shocking that we see this type of reaction so often from them. I'm not defending them, per se, because I believe they're compensated well enough to deal with the negative aspects of their lives. But the reactions we see aren't really that surprising, given the conditions of our society

You got to make millions of dollar while being a celebrity playing a sport for a living? You know where you can find sympathy? In the dictionary between **** and syphilis. Victim culture at its finest
At risk to starting a battle royal here (what!! who me!!??)...

I'm gonna sorta defend Bennett here. Yes he comes across as douchey. Even other well heeled people roll their eyes when others with money complain about "... my hard life...", with that said, he does have a valid point about the damage to life and limb.

Again though, as most here have said, don't lime it, don't live the life.

Who I have 1% sympathy for are the 1yr and scout team athletes. They are always 5' away from greatness, suffer the same damage, but none of the pay. Again though, there choice.

Advertisement
Reads like HIS problems and his self actualization that hes a mess, not a good person and has had a real tough time transitioning out of football and hes projecting to players at large.

Your correct... you must near me.

I see McDuffie there too and some of my buddies that go there often always intercat with him.

Crowders kid goes to school with mine and hes always happy and smiling.
Crowder is cool as ****.
Definitely is NOT a guy who regretted his time in the NFL.

Reads like HIS problems and his self actualization that hes a mess, not a good person and has had a real tough time transitioning out of football and hes projecting to players at large.
Exactly.
He's projecting his issue and not speaking for the majority of NFL retirees.

Advertisement
Back