OT: LSU STAR WR opting out

These guys are making business decisions. They know they’re getting drafted high so why chance it is the thought process. I understand for certain but it also puts new light for me on the competitiveness of Trevor Lawrence, who has everything to lose, and is out in front about playing.

Ive heard this many times, and understand why people are saying it. But why did it start this year? Why haven’t players in the past sat out knowing they’d be a high pick in the draft.

I believe many of them are hiding behind the easy COVID excuse, when in reality, they simply don’t want to play college ball and go to school. Luckily for them, they won’t be called out as quitters because of the pandemic

Advertisement
Smart move. His stock was going to drop with uncertainties at LSU. Also, don't care about you quiting on your team to prep the Draft.

Ive heard this many times, and understand why people are saying it. But why did it start this year? Why haven’t players in the past sat out knowing they’d be a high pick in the draft.

I believe many of them are hiding behind the easy COVID excuse, when in reality, they simply don’t want to play college ball and go to school. Luckily for them, they won’t be called out as quitters because of the pandemic
I know it is against the grain around here but I think anyone who opts out is making a mistake.

When NFL.com has an article with anonymous NFC scouts saying it will be difficult to evaluate players who have not played/practiced in more than a year I think that is code for you better not be surprised if you are not drafted where you are expecting to be drafted.

Some business decisions are smart but I see this as risky. Especially if the players who DO decide to play show up and kick some **** and leapfrog some of these opt out guys.

Get millions now & avoid the bs/injury or wait it out and still lose 5 games... Decision respected!

Advertisement
What’s different this season is players has been given the opportunity to opt out while saving face because of the pandemic.

But would he have done this otherwise? Probably not. Had there been no pandemic, he’d be playing this year.

So what will this change going forward in future seasons?

Well.....players could still opt out.

Nothing says they can’t just say “fūck it - I’ll just skip my final year of eligibility and not risk getting injured so I remain a 1st rounder”

But is that going to really happen in the future?

Advertisement
Wonder if his home got hit bad by the hurricane. Maybe he’s taking some upfront money by the agent to help his family. This isn’t covid related.

I don’t disagree at all. Covid gave them cover without the negative impact they’d get ordinarily and they’re taking advantage of the opportunity.

People can hate on them all they want, but with the Covid excuse as a cover, for projected high draft picks, it’s probably a smart business decision, whether fans want to accept it or not.

Wonder if his home got hit bad by the hurricane. Maybe he’s taking some upfront money by the agent to help his family. This isn’t covid related.
He's from Metairie. That's far from the landfall of the storm.

Advertisement
As they should. And don’t get it twisted, I hate that idea. I love college football more than I love my family and friends and dog. I want to see all the best players stay and play as long as possible. But a kid like Chase, a kid like Lawrence...they’d have been multi-millionaires this past April had it been allowed to enter the draft after year 2 vs year 3. How is it remotely fair to deny a kid the right to make millions of dollars?
Unfortunately, just as it is now for juniors, far more will come out way too soon and blow it than it actually helps. I guess you can’t save everybody from themselves. It is what it is. Nothing like cutting a college career in half to go undrafted!

I dont blame any position player thats not a quarterback for opting out. QB's are different in that they are the leaders of their team. You cant be the captain and jump ship. That will haunt you on the next level as far as earning respect in the lockerroom.

You really think an NFL vet. Cares if you choose to play for free for another year or not?

The answer is no. NFL could careless they came up through the same bogus “student@
-athlete” system.

The real reasons Trevor Lawerence is staying is because 1) he’s already getting paid.
But 2) he actually needs to have an amazing season like Joe Burrow and put out more tape to make sure he can minimize the offset language in the contract.

He will be 1/1 based on his pedigree and while the money is mostly the same. The contract language is not.

Advertisement
You really think an NFL vet. Cares if you choose to play for free for another year or not?

The answer is no. NFL could careless they came up through the same bogus “student@
-athlete” system.

The real reasons Trevor Lawerence is staying is because 1) he’s already getting paid.
But 2) he actually needs to have an amazing season like Joe Burrow and put out more tape to make sure he can minimize the offset language in the contract.

He will be 1/1 based on his pedigree and while the money is mostly the same. The contract language is not.
This^, this^, this^, and all this^!

Just so crazy how only the 1st round locks are scared about this virus. Crazy I say!
He saw that the new dude and new oc ain’t slinging the rock like last year. If Young was shting the bed at bama and if Lawrence opted out you would see a mass exodus of juniors and seniors from those 2 programs.

EY e yo
He saw that the new dude and new oc ain’t slinging the rock like last year. If Young was shting the bed at bama and if Lawrence opted out you would see a mass exodus of juniors and seniors from those 2 programs.
Bryce Young has barely been in camp; out with COVID. It’s been kept quiet until the end of the week. Supposedly back tomorrow

but your point is well taken. It’s expected he’ll have the starting job By mid season

Advertisement
Back