OT: Lewis as a LB

Advertisement
Ray was also a sick MF'er.
That counts as well.
So was Marley (one of my favorites), with less natural talent and measurables.

Anyone remember the game where RL played with a dead arm, couldn't lift it all the way, and still made about 15 tackles with his head and good arm?
With todays rules he would have been ejected 11 times. Out for the season.

Ray was also a sick MF'er.
That counts as well.
So was Marley (one of my favorites), with less natural talent and measurables.

Anyone remember the game where RL played with a dead arm, couldn't lift it all the way, and still made about 15 tackles with his head and good arm?
With todays rules he would have been ejected 11 times. Out for the season.
As Sick as they were....Nate was Sicker....

Advertisement
Yeah...because Morgan (who was better than Ray at UM) wasn't a Butch recruit.....Shame on Butch for finding the best LBer in UM History....
Dan Morgan was a beast at Miami, if only his NFL career hadn't been so short. He was great in his short time with the Panthers. I remember the year the Panthers made the SB he had like 60 or so tackles in 4 playoff games and set the SB record with 18.

@caneinorlando...It seems like this site is split as whether or not Butch should have been brought back in as head coach. You think he would have interest in coming back as an "Analyst" at this point in his career? Not sure how Manny would feel about it, but having that type of insight when it comes to evaluating talent would be priceless.

Advertisement
@caneinorlando...It seems like this site is split as whether or not Butch should have been brought back in as head coach. You think he would have interest in coming back as an "Analyst" at this point in his career? Not sure how Manny would feel about it, but having that type of insight when it comes to evaluating talent would be priceless.
That's not happening....

Dan Morgan was a beast at Miami, if only his NFL career hadn't been so short. He was great in his short time with the Panthers. I remember the year the Panthers made the SB he had like 60 or so tackles in 4 playoff games and set the SB record with 18.
A tragically short NFL career leaves the most decorated defensive player out of the UM great conversations most of the time. I'll never forget Morgan as a true freshman playing and wiping the field up when we were in the doldrums. All I knew was he was fullback at taravella high and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Probably BDs best ever find.

Yeah...because Morgan (who was better than Ray at UM) wasn't a Butch recruit.....Shame on Butch for finding the best LBer in UM History....
Without his injuries and concussions I think we would also be talking about Morgan as one of the best nfl lbs ever. What a player . One of the more underrated defensive performances in a super bowl too

Advertisement
I’m going to be blunt: Butch got lucky. Not too different than Manny Diaz/Greg Rousseau. Ok, not a good example…but sometimes you just get lucky, because there are hundreds of “Lewises” each year who definitely would've attended Miami if only they were offered. And, to give coaches credit for kids they didn’t recruit/develop shouldn’t work anyway.

The Ray Lewises of the world can make you look like a genius.
i leapt from lewis and desire to butch and evals. caused some confusion in the thread because as noted ray wasn’t a butch recruit in any case. but that wasn’t my point - i went from amazed at his film and seeing the desire and that it wasn’t development, just there on day one, to that meaning eval, so skipped to butch because evals (and bourbon).

anyhow i definitely was t trying to make one kid about butch. but if you don’t see that butch was overall the best at this, then you’re blind.

Butch didn't recruit Ray....Ray was a Erickson commit....
i prolly caused confusion because i didn’t give a clear segue in my post. started with ray, observed he was day 1 ready and was all desire.

jumped focus to how we can find kids with that quality. referenced butch because he was the best evaluator. less bourbon woulda meant clearer transition.

Basically: ray had desire ... don’t know what butch looked for (he was the best at evals) but we need to find kids with desire.

Advertisement
Blind, of course, LOL.

Best is relative. NOT dismissing Butch’s eye for talent, but his bigger gift was being a salesman. In one podcast Jimmy Johnson laughed that Butch would describe every kid as a future HOFer. Anyway, this isn’t a anti-Butch post, it’s just to point out that there is a bit of luck in this. Otherwise, everywhere else he’s been would’ve seen the same results circa 2001.
all we have are the results. maybe lucky, but he did what he did. and even without some luck he’s so far ahead he’s still the goat imo. certainly for his era. and he was doing well at UNC also before leaving there. And he was an architect of Jimmy’s recruiting in UM and evals in Dallas. I always viewed Jimmy as right there with him but butch put together far and away the greatest college team ever, and did it in short order coming off sanctions. don’t see why anyone bothers criticize or qualify or nitpick

But here’s the thing: for Ray to be Day 1 ready in a near-unparalleled way (no disrespect to Shaq) the question shouldn’t be what did Butch see but what could everyone else NOT SEE. Because what he brought to the game wasn’t hidden.
i was just marveling at ray’s obvious desire, not making him an eval topic. what he had, we should look for.

i don’t think ray was a secret, but he was a marginal / late qualifier, a poor kid from a small school, undersized (wrestled 183 in HS), and that was before web sites etc. Nothing unusual there and not sure he was overlooked. Just how it went.

I forget some of the details of the story, but Lewis said He was going to FSU. Got there on His visit, found out He was gonna have to sit behind Derrick Brooks for 2 years, and He decided to come to Miami. But IIRC, He either came on Miami's radar late, or Miami was waiting on test scores or something like that. Said He visited Tennessee too. Lewis was also a standout wrestler at Kathleen.
All true. Ray came onto Miami’s radar during his last high school game. Kleen was playing ft Myers and Miami coaches was their to watch Jammi German. K leen got blown out but Ray showed out and caught the attention of Miami coaches.

Advertisement
Back