OT: Lewis as a LB

Ethnicsands

All-American
Just went for the heck of it and re-watched Ray Lewis UM highlights. (Also NFL.)

What an amazing tackler he was. Instincts, lateral ability, can shed blockers, diagnose plays, can find ball, all great. But dammit the guy always made the play, whether it was a hit, or a wrap, or even a grab. His hands were steel. If he grabbed you, you were caught.

And say what you want, he wasn't 'development' - dude was balling out in his first game at Miami a few weeks after he arrived on campus.

He had DESIRE.

I don't know what Butch would say he looked for - I'd like to know. But IMO guys who have that desire, will work out more than the others.

Advertisement
Ray Lewis had an incredible work ethic combined with intense desire & great instincts. His workout routines are intense and relentless day after day. There's some great videos on Youtube that are well worth watching if you want to see what it takes to be a champion and one of the best ever. He also was a great student of the game. It took all of that plus some God-given talents to make him the best NFL LB ever.

If every player on our roster emulated what Ray Lewis, Michael Irvin and our other legends did in preparation, we would never lose a game. They put in serious work and it made them champions at every level. I'd like to see more of that grit, toughness & determination going forward. It's the reason we kicked a@@ and took names for decades.

Last edited:
Ray Lewis had an incredible work ethic combined with intense desire & great instincts. His workout routines are intense and relentless day after day. There's some great videos on Youtube that are well worth watching if you want to see what it takes to be a champion and of the best ever. He also was a great student of the game. It took all of that plus some God-given talents to make him the best NFL LB ever.

If every player on our roster emulated what Ray Lewis, Michael Irvin and our other legends did in preparation, we would never lose a game. They put in serious work and it made them champions at every level. I'd like to see more of that grit, toughness & determination going forward. It's the reason we kicked a@@ and took names for decades.
It’s all doable. That’s the thing. you have to pick the right kids and have a culture that pushes them. they won’t all become the goat but that kind of dedication will lead to winning and dominance.

Advertisement
Just went for the heck of it and re-watched Ray Lewis UM highlights. (Also NFL.)

What an amazing tackler he was. Instincts, lateral ability, can shed blockers, diagnose plays, can find ball, all great. But dammit the guy always made the play, whether it was a hit, or a wrap, or even a grab. His hands were steel. If he grabbed you, you were caught.

And say what you want, he wasn't 'development' - dude was balling out in his first game at Miami a few weeks after he arrived on campus.

He had DESIRE.

I don't know what Butch would say he looked for - I'd like to know. But IMO guys who have that desire, will work out more than the others.
Butch is a beast at evals with a good logo behind him he brings in major talent

Advertisement

He had DESIRE.

And he was a natural leader. I doubt anyone could look him in the eye and go out an half *** it

Advertisement
Butch didn't find Ray nor coach him up to be what he was. He was in the NFL when Ray came here and Butch coached the DL his first tenure here. When Butch returned Ray was already a bona-fide stud and Butch had him his last year
Yeah I know. I was tipsy at the time. Idk why I even wrote that.

Advertisement
I forget some of the details of the story, but Lewis said He was going to FSU. Got there on His visit, found out He was gonna have to sit behind Derrick Brooks for 2 years, and He decided to come to Miami. But IIRC, He either came on Miami's radar late, or Miami was waiting on test scores or something like that. Said He visited Tennessee too. Lewis was also a standout wrestler at Kathleen.

Advertisement
Back