OT.....LAST CHANCE U premieres July 28 on Netflix

Last Chance U is awesome so far after 2 episodes for me. Why?

* urban rather than rural locale
* no residential or food benefits for the players. Tough, very tough.
* players might live many, many miles from campus due to high expense neighborhood. Key guy sleeps in his car.
* coach loves his Oakland players. But, as he tells his wife, I want the W’s.

Very worthwhile.

Advertisement
IMO they really needed this season. EMC and Independence don’t show the reality of JUCO sports. I played Juco baseball and although we played against a bunch of draft picks and D1 flunk outs, we also played schools that only had local kids that were there to continue the dream. I’m talking teams that wouldn’t finish .500 in most high school leagues.

Ive seen both sides of it, but I promise there are a lot lore school like Laney than there are EMC and Independence.

IMO they really needed this season. EMC and Independence don’t show the reality of JUCO sports. I played Juco baseball and although we played against a bunch of draft picks and D1 flunk outs, we also played schools that only had local kids that were there to continue the dream. I’m talking teams that wouldn’t finish .500 in most high school leagues.

Ive seen both sides of it, but I promise there are a lot lore school like Laney than there are EMC and Independence.

Yes that’s an interesting point. Since I’m not that familiar with junior college sports, the first few seasons of Last Chance U tended to define my view of football in that environment. It’s obvious that there are a lot of other schools like Laney.

To be fair, I never thought the series was intended to show the reality of most JuCos.

I always thought it was intended to show a very specific environment—centered on the 2 or 3 programs that made names for themselves by taking in the big-time recruits who bombed out in D-1 and had one final shot to rehab their image, get their grades together, and Try to regain a place on a D-1 roster. The dudes who already had their big shot and failed—and now this is their last chance.

Advertisement
How come the state of florida doesn't have juco sports?

Florida Juco baseball is probably the best in the country (Texas compares well). They operate like California as in every school except one (Pasco Hernando) is D1. They play a state tournament to see who goes to Grand Junction to play for the D1 World Series. Oddly enough Pasco comes up here to NC to play in the Region 10 tourney to go to Enid, Oklahoma for the D2 World Series. Region 10 stretches from SC through NC to VA. Top 7 or 8 depending on Pasco get to the region tourney. But as long as Pasco has a .500 or better record they get an auto bid to the Region tourney.

Last edited:
Yes that’s an interesting point. Since I’m not that familiar with junior college sports, the first few seasons of Last Chance U tended to define my view of football in that environment. It’s obvious that there are a lot of other schools like Laney.

Exactly. There are way more poor schools than what you see on the show. It was more complicated than the NCAA model. Regions and conferences are based on state, and sports. Most Jucos only have a handful of sports, so different teams from the same school can be in different conferences or regions. Although there are states like Florida and California who’s conferences are state tourneys. But they are more uniform than other places.

Last edited:
To be fair, I never thought the series was intended to show the reality of most JuCos.

I always thought it was intended to show a very specific environment—centered on the 2 or 3 programs that made names for themselves by taking in the big-time recruits who bombed out in D-1 and had one final shot to rehab their image, get their grades together, and Try to regain a place on a D-1 roster. The dudes who already had their big shot and failed—and now this is their last chance.

You make a good point, and nobody wants to see multiple seasons of terrible teams, they want name recognition and personalities. I just thought this season was way more realistic than EMC and Independence. But you’re right, having those schools on is the only reason they built a following.

Coach Beam promising Dior he can get him to Hawaii. Nick Rolovich leaves to Wazzu...Miami steals Keyshawn Smith from Wazzu and they couldn't find a spot for DIOR? Man, fvckouttahere ROLO.

Dior had to go WALK ON to Hawaii? Hard times. This man could not stand the low life bum of father so much he has so much he had to go across the ocean and pay his own way? ****.

Advertisement
Rumph should've been all over Rezjohn.

Dior should've stayed in Cali for the free tuition and walked on. Whichever school was furthest from his pops.

Beam is a good coach who really cares about his players. He could've left Laney multiple times for more money. Oakland legend.

Rumph should've been all over Rezjohn.

Dior should've stayed in Cali for the free tuition and walked on. Whichever school was furthest from his pops.

Beam is a good coach who really cares about his players. He could've left Laney multiple times for more money. Oakland legend.
I can understand why Dior didn't tho. The free tuition would have been a benefit of his pops. And I'm the type that if I don't Fvck with you, I don't want your benefits either. So I definitely felt him on that decision.

I can understand why Dior didn't tho. The free tuition would have been a benefit of his pops. And I'm the type that if I don't Fvck with you, I don't want your benefits either. So I definitely felt him on that decision.

Yea but at that point he's just hurting himself by accumulating student loan debt. Plus living in Hawaii is expensive as **** to begin with.

I though this was the weakest season of them all, the whole feel was off to me.
I also couldn't help but SMH when the HC's wife said she had to leave San Diego because it was too "blond and white", producers should have left that out IMO, it was a bad look.
also what was with all the over the top celebrations, by both the HC and players, they sucked???

Advertisement
Finished it yesterday. Couldn't string the hours together to binge watch.

I thought this season had some compelling personal stories, and weird ones as well (all those child molestation allegations in RJ’s weird hippy dippy literati family).

But I also agree, just from the strictly football perspective, it was the weakest season.

Even though I was surprised they had a couple of D-1 players. You could almost tell from the first few minutes Rezjohn had that potential from his combination of length, speed, fluidity and cover skills...though I believe he was holding back quite a bit.

Advertisement
Finished it yesterday. Couldn't string the hours together to binge watch.

I thought this season had some compelling personal stories, and weird ones as well (all those child molestation allegations in RJ’s weird hippy dippy literati family).

But I also agree, just from the strictly football perspective, it was the weakest season.

Even though I was surprised they had a couple of D-1 players. You could almost tell from the first few minutes Rezjohn had that potential from his combination of length, speed, fluidity and cover skills...though I believe he was holding back quite a bit.
Is it worth watching in your opinion?

I though this was the weakest season of them all, the whole feel was off to me.
I also couldn't help but SMH when the HC's wife said she had to leave San Diego because it was too "blond and white", producers should have left that out IMO, it was a bad look.
also what was with all the over the top celebrations, by both the HC and players, they sucked???
I agree, least compelling season yet.

Advertisement
Back